“Typical NYC Hotel but tired looking”

IBEROSTAR 70 Park Avenue Hotel
Ranked #249 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Abington, Pennsylvania
“Typical NYC Hotel but tired looking”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Now having declared Kimpton as my favorite hotel chain, I am quickly becoming disillusioned.

70 Park Ave. was your typical very small NY hotel room. My problems with this one are many such as booked (and paid for) a room with 2 queens but it appears we only got 2 doubles. The condition of the room was tired - chips in the wood headboard, dust on the mirror table, laminate peeling from the desk, no closet (just a very small armoir), no artwork over the beds (pictures from Kimpton site show something but we only had nails sticking out), hair in the bathroom, etc.. Smallest bathroom I've ever seen, especially in a hotel, and I've stayed all over NYC. I am only 5' and my knees were hitting the wall when sitting on the toilet, you couldn't open the door if someone was at the sink, only 3 towels when the room was booked for 4 (same supply you get with 2). Just noticed that 70 Park Ave. does not show photos of bathroom on website (all other hotels do) and there's a reason. The beds were not very comfortable and definitely need to be replaced and the bed covers had specks of dirt and hair on them (makes you wonder if the linens were changed).

Wine reception is always good but 70 Park Ave. living room is small. Not as small as The Muse but this was was overly packed - standing room only - but it's always lovely to mingle and meet new people.

Front desk service was great and again I believe service is what you expect of a Kimpton. However, I am not sure this makes up for the condition of the rooms and common areas of the hotel. The location is good but not if you want to be near the action. However, I liked staying in an area never before explored and thought this location was much quieter even if you did have to walk further to get anywhere.

As an InTouch Loyalty member, while I received my "raid the mini bar" coupon at check-in, none of the other requests were granted such as foam pillows (I am allergic to feather), extra towels and I didn't receive a local newspaper. I do, however, truly appreciate their recognition of my special occasion (and actually all Kimpton's have done this except one in SF).

This is my 3rd NYC Kimpton (still need to try Ink48). Would I stay at 70 Park Ave. again? No. Would I recommend? No. Out of the three where I've stayed, while The Muse was in a great location (couldn't be beat), Eventi is still my favorite and while 70 Park Ave. room prices may be slightly better than other NYC Kimpton's (even for NYC the price of the room was not a bargain - probably similar or more expensive than other NYC hotels), you definitely get what you pay for.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

The hotel room we got on the 3rd floor was small with a tiny bathroom and no exhaust. Service was non existent. Beds were a not high quality leaving a slight body ache after a night's sleep. The room air conditioner was extremely noisy! The only saving grace was a great and very friendly concierge. He was fabulous... But otherwise avoid this place.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Hungryghost7
Springfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Stayed here for one night on a recent business trip to the city. I got into Grand Central late, and 70 Park Ave couldn't be more convenient - a quick two-block walk and I was there. The service is quintessential Kimpton, warm and friendly and attentive. I had a queen room on a high floor, and found the room itself generously sized for a NYC hotel room. As others have mentioned, the bathroom is teeny tiny, but given the age of the building and the location, that didn't really bother me.

Bonus points to 70 Park Avenue for making sure the rooms are equipped with stellar lighting and more electrical outlets than I could have reasonably hoped for. I could plug in all my devices and still have plenty to spare.

I'll definitely be back.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper like me, a white noise app or machine may be required to dull the stre...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I travelled to NYC last February and was put up at 70 Park Avenue Hotel by my office. I was there at the Hotel for 4 nights from 13/2/2012 through 17/2/2012. For me the location was very good as our office was just 2 blocks away. However if you are a tourist then the Hotel is a little far off from the shopping area or Times Square. The good part is you are just 3 blocks away from the Great Grand central Station and some 10 minutes walking distance from Bryant Park.
My overall experience at the Hotel can be summed uyp as below:

POSITIVES:

Extremely Clean and Spunky Interiors

Funky and Modern styled rooms

Free Wifi in the rooms and the public area.

Sufficiently spacious rooms considering that this in Manhattan.

Good knowledgable concierge.

NEGATIVES:

Breakfast though good does not have a lot of options. Also I though that it was on the expnesive side @ 27$

I forgot my rechargeable battery charger and BB Charger at the Hotel. Though I did not follow up with them as I returned to India, I thought that the Hotel should have at least tried to contact me and intimate me about the same as they have all my details.

But I would still say that the Hotel is a welcome Change from the Normal Hotel Rooms and has bice funky and stylish rooms which more than makes up for some shortcomings.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

Vacuum cleaners stored in the hallway, dust gathering in the corners of the bedroom, no daily replenishment of the toiletries, inconsistent hot water. The lobby "restaurant" was really just a bar with some food. I expected better. I travel a lot for work and have had three good experiences in a row with Kimptons. This one was way inferior.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Penny K
Toronto
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I had planned a trip to NYC and it included the Sofitel, one of my favourite hotels in the world. Alas, it was not to be due to a cancelled flight, a difficult third party fulfilment so I settled for 70 Park Avenue, willing to check out the Kimpton product.

It doesn't get much better for location -- it's just south of Grand Central on Park Avenue. It was an old school hotel that's been renovated, so the narrow corridors, the small bathrooms are all indicative of this. The beds are fine, the rooms are small, and the furnishing a bit overwrought.

The bathroom was freezing. A draft came from the window that reminded me of my days as a student in a freezing house that one of my roommates had rented more or less sight unseen.

The rate was great through the third party -- I had stayed at Hotel Alex, also from the same third party, and it was fine.

So would I stay here again -- probably, especially at the rate, given the location. It works, but it's nothing special. Oh, and about that draft in the bathroom.....

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We were thrilled with our entire experience at 70 Park Avenue hotel this past weekend (2/9) - our only problem was wishing we could have stayed longer! We were in a Queen Queen Deluxe on the 16th floor with a Park Ave view. From the time we checked in, we were treated with the highest level of service. The front desk knew my best friend and I were in town to surprise our other best friend for a 30th birthday party, and they got our trip started out right! When we returned from some 5th avenue window shopping, we were greeted with a bottle of champagne and cheesecake in our room. We ordered room service for dinner while we got ready & it was fast and pretty good. We had hoped the connected restaurant would have had a better selection. After a late night out, we needed some extra time to get moving and were graciously offered a late checkout, so we ordered breakfast from room service and took our time. Great experience - we will definitely be back! I wish I could remember the girls name at the front desk for check in on Saturday afternoon - she was so great and really left an impression on us!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor with a park ave facing view!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends