“Here is What you Need to Know”
Review of Hotel Carter

Hotel Carter
Ranked #414 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed May 12, 2009

If you are like me, you read all the reviews beforehand and still decided that you would stay here because of the price. I paid only $93 for a Saturday night (registered through a discount travel site) and saved more than $50. What you need to know if you are staying is the following:

-They will allow you to check in early (I arrived at 11:45AM and although check in is the usual 3PM, they smiled and checked me in right away - no hesitation).

- You will need to buy/bring soap for the shower (the little bars they give you are not suitable for a shower or bath so bring your own bar/body wash).

- Bring your own wash cloth (there were two towels in the bathroom, one for the floor and one real towel that had a blood stain on it! yuk!).

- Be prepared to get up to change the channel (there was no remote for the TV and only about five channels came in - no movie channels except TNT).

- Smoking room (even if you've asked for a non-smoking room, you may smell smoke through the walls).

- It is a great location! The hotel is only a block from the Time Square hub.

- Bring house slippers or something to walk on (you won't feel comfortable enough to allow your feet to touch the floors).

- Do not use the other elevators in the back of the hotel (creepy and under construction - you won't be able to figure out how to get to the front lobby from back there).

- Be prepared for things to be old and dirty (yes, the electrical sockets were hanging loose and the walls were in need of painting, carpet looked a little moldy, etc).

- There will be no iron or board in the room (I assume it can be requested for use).

- There is a friendly guard at the entrance (that is a good thing! If you are an attractive female traveling solo, you'll appreciate having the guard right inside the door. But I still didn't stay out too late that night).

- The rest of the staff is friendly enough.

- There is no comforter on the bed (just sheets and a thin blanket. However, the bed was actually comfortable).

- No bed bugs.

- No handle/knob on the bathroom door.

- the mirror on the door was too old and foggy to see clearly. But the bathroom mirror was fine.

Overall my experience was not horrible and I would stay there again if I really needed to save money. The other guests appeared to be like me, professionals or tourists just trying to save money (didn't notice any seedy-looking characters around or anything). So if you do not need frills or luxury while in NYC, it is OK. Just bring your own blanket!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
5  Thank K2anointed
There are newer reviews for Hotel Carter

Reviewed May 7, 2009

A few years ago, my then soon-to-be, now ex-husband (how things change) and myself went to NY for the week-end. One of these bus + hotel packages. The agency we bought our tickets from made a point of telling us: "If there's something wrong with your hotel room, don't hesitate to request another one."
Excellent piece of advice, that was, and it turned that we had to follow it. Four times, precisely.

The first room's AC not only blew out hot air, it was also ridiculously noisy. And we were in July, so AC was a must.The second room itself was fine; the only problem was the presence of a dead cockroach the size of my big toe in the bathtub. Again, in room #3, the culprit was the bathroom; diarrhea-brown water oozed out of the faucets.
Given that we had travelled all night and that it was 7am when we were given this somewhat surreal tour, we would have gladly settled for the fourth room, where the only issue was a malfunctioning TV, something we didn't care about. However, the employee who was showing us around would not have it, and nothing short of begged us to follow him to yet another room, which turned out to be as satisfactory as I assume a room can be, at Hotel Carter.

We had no problem with the room during our two-nights stay, but we didn't spend that much time in it anyway. Probably not one hell of a lot more than we did roaming the narrow, creepy, neverending corridors that snake through this gigantic building, whose walls breathe a long, tortuous history.
Call me crazy, but I believe some buildings are alive. Not haunted, *alive*. And Hotel Carter is one of them. Decades upon decades of seeing more humanity than more humans do in their lifetime, is bound to leave an imprint, to seep into the walls somehow...
And I can just tell you that once you settle down in your crappy Hotel Carter room, if you take the time to sit down and listen, instead of whining about the bare lightbulbs or the blinking TV, or the noisy AC, you'll hear many, many stories... Some happy, others sad. And others, straight out of a horror movie. These stories are written everywhere: on the peeling wallpaper, the rotten carpets, the tired old furnitures, along the long serpentine corridors which remind you of family-friendly movies such as "Psycho" or "The Shining"...
But they ARE there, all around you... If you only take the time to look, and smell, and listen. And most of all, take the time to let your imagination run free for a while...

Now, it's up to you: you can pick Holiday Inn, or Ramada Inn, or whatever other sterile, insipid, generic "Inn" chain that you wish. Chances are, you'll like the first room you're given, and will sleep well, without fearing the bedbugs may bite you.
Or, you can pick Hotel Carter. Old, smelly, dingy, dirty, dodgy, creepy Hotel Carter.

It really depends on what you're looking for. We wanted a place to sleep for two nights, and we got it. According to the other reviews I've read, not everyone got so lucky. However, we got so, SO much more than that: we got an experience.

We got spend the night in Overlook Hotel. Only the one bang in the middle of Manhattan. Can your Holiday Inn beat that?

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank salomey5
Reviewed May 5, 2009

Trip advisors rated it as #1 to be the worst in US!! We had cockroaches and Bed bugs in the room.The lobby is decorated with Neon lights, and has a funky old smell.During our compaint in the front desk.We witness hookers comming in and out from the building.I would never even think of recommending this place to my worst enemy.The man in the front desk was rude and didnt even want to step inside the room.He said he doesnt want to bring the bed bugs in his own home.This place totally ruined my trip in NYC . I know better next time to always check on trip advisor.

Why has the new york health Dept havent shut this down? WIth the N1H1 (swine)flu going on,this is the worst place to go to and is not worth a penny.
The store beside the hotel is extremely expensive. I washed and disinfected my whole luggage as soon as i got home in toronto.Stay away from Hotel Carter!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank alex123467
Reviewed May 4, 2009

This is an appauling hotel. The electricity sockets are on the blink, the decor is awful, and the beds are unconfortable (I could feel every spring). You know you are not the first to find it so bad that you want to leave by the notice on Reception saying "no refunds after you have been in your room for more than 15 minutes". The location is good, but the hotel desparately needs some money spent on it.

The Ladies contained graffiti (see picture) "this hotel is crap". We visited in April 09 but the graffiti, which clearly had been there in 2008, was still there!

2  Thank sitdeus
Reviewed April 27, 2009

If you are on a limited budget, but you LOVE New York, forget what the other horrible reviews say! You should try the Carter Hotel. It is in the center of everything...Times Square, Broadway, Port Authority Bus, Maddame Tussead's. There is a cafe/convenience store attached for any snacks, but restaurants are all around the area. There is internet access in the lobby. The staff is very helpful and friendly. There is not maid service every day, but probably every other. I actually like NOT being bothered. My two young daughters and I stayed 6 days. Our carpet was not the cleanest, but we had a clean bathroom, clean towels, clean sheets, and a great view of Times Square! We had no bedbug bites and did not come in contact with rodents. Our TV had basic cable, but who is in the room often when you're in the Big Apple?! We enjoyed our stay and never felt we were in danger. I would have no reservations about staying here again. I hope that when we have the chance to come back to New York the Carter Hotel is still available! If I had to spend $200-$400 per night on a room, we would have had to stay home! Thanks, Carter, for helping to make our travel to New York one of the best vacations my girls will ever remember!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Angngals
Reviewed April 14, 2009

You get what you pay for. All of you that are complaining, don't be so cheap and spend more money on a hotel with more amenities. If you are budget conscious then this is the place to go. If you don't pay a lot then you should not expect a lot. It's a place to stay on little money.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed March 26, 2009

Honestly I hated New York city because of this hotel! I remembered the movie derailed, stay away from this place!

Pennsylvania hotel same or similar rate way better

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple