Hotel Carter
Hotel Belleclaire(New York City)(Great Value!)
$162
$124
Savings alert! 30% below average rates

The price you found is 30% lower than this hotel's average rate of $176/night.

Millennium Broadway New York Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
$197
$186
  • Room Service
Hilton Garden Inn Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
$187
$180
GardenInn.com
  • Restaurant
The Bentley Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$168
$127
Savings alert! 23% below average rates

The price you found is 23% lower than this hotel's average rate of $164/night.

$134
  • Room Service
Park Central Hotel New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
$169
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Fitness center
The New Yorker a Wyndham Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$152
  • Room Service
YOTEL New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
$116
Savings alert! 17% below average rates

The price you found is 17% lower than this hotel's average rate of $140/night.

Hotel Edison Times Square(New York City)
$139
$104
Hotels.com
  • Bar/Lounge
Savings alert! 15% below average rates

The price you found is 15% lower than this hotel's average rate of $123/night.

Blue Moon Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$139
$90
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 41% below average rates

The price you found is 41% lower than this hotel's average rate of $153/night.

4,296 results
See what travelers are saying:
A TripAdvisor Member
Washington, DC
Reviewed November 14, 2004

In response to all the negative reviews of Hotel Carter, my experience at the hotel was not as horrible as I expected. I stayed at Hotel Carter for two days, Fri./Sat. Nov. 12-13, 2004 even after reading all the horrible reviews on line about the hotel.

I was expecting the worst, considering that I have backpacked, camped and stayed at many hotels and hostels around the world, including countries where hot water was an extreme luxury. We even brought extra sheets from home, just in case!

Hotel Carter was pretty bad, but it can be a livable space esp. if you are in NYC on a budget and you want to experience NYC and not the hotel room. You are only two blocks away from Times Square and you really, really can't beat the price of the room. Book on line to save even more money (it cost us only $89 a night). Stay here if you only want a place to sleep, shower and change. Do not expect real hotel amenities!!! They will not change your sheets, unless you request it (downstairs, in the lobby..a guy writes your room number on a piece of paper!). They will give you extra towels if you request it as well.

My boyfriend and I checked in late night (2:30 AM) since we arrived in NYC city late from DC and after we had dinner with friends in NYC. There were questionable people hanging outside (it is NYC) but there was a friendly security guard.

As we approached to check in, there was a line in front of us with many complaints, including dirty, wet sheets and being locked from the inside of their room. There was even a family in front of us with Falun Gong pictures pinned to their luggage.

The hotel front has big neon signs with a mosaic of cheap small carpets lined together to make the lobby rug. It is quite a sight. Even if you don't decide to stay here, seeing the lobby is a NYC experience!

We decided to only stay one night at first since we really didn't know what to expect of the room. There is a $1.00 deposit for the room key (make sure you keep your receipt) and they do make duplicate key right there on the spot if needed. There is also a security deposit box as well to keep your valuables. At one time, it looked like there was a jewelry store located in the lobby as well.

The elevators were fast and we got a room on the 12th Floor facing away from 42nd St. (on the quieter side). It was windy in NYC the weekend we were there and our room was outside the "L" on the big neon "Hotel Carter" sign, but the drapes worked and we were too tired to be bothered by the red light and the banging of the old sign. We were high enough not to hear too much street noise as well.

We had clean sheets (don't bother checking underneath the bed), warm water (take your showers early or late at night when there is less usage), and ample closet space. The furniture was old and beat up, but we didn't use either the closet or furniture to place our things. The paint was peeling; the light fixture had no cover. We turned on the TV once, we had about 6 channels, but we didn't bother watching. We had no headboard; instead, it was a hanging carpet underneath the one painting in the room. The bed was king sized and the bathroom was clean. We had clean towels (small), toilet paper and soap. If you needed anything else, there is a little deli downstairs that seemed to be open 24 hours (at least it was open at 2:30 AM).

There were a lot of international people who were staying there. Hotel Carter is more like a hostel than a hotel.

It is a very old building, looks like it was built in the '30s since there were two separate faucets in the shower for bathing and for the shower. I am sure in it's heyday, this was the place to stay.

My advice: Stay for a place to sleep, change and shower. Use the extra money to get a nicer Broadway seat! Don't expect too much. Be nice to them and they'll be nice to you. It is NYC!

• Stayed: November 2003
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 9, 2004

I cannot believe anyone could stay more than 5 min in this hotel, for that is all that I gave them. The rooms were totally disgusting PERIOD!!!!!!! The window was broken the bathroom looked like S---! There were more people in the lobby checking out that had just got there than I have ever seen in my life. One lady was complaining rats was all in her room yet she, like so many others who ended up staying there, were stuck because they were all from different countries and they had booked through a travel agent that had already charged them for the total stay. I felt really ashamed being American thinking if this is their first trip to America what a terrible impression based on that hotel. This hotel really needs to be shut down!!!!!!! I was one of the lucky ones because I booked on my own, I was given a full refund and found a better hotel. I stayed at the Ramada Inn, Eastside which was very, very nice and it was not that much more. To all TRAVEL AGENTS, PLEASE DO NOT BOOK THIS HOTEL FOR ANYONE!!! I would have preferred living in the Subway Station than that hotel room.

• Stayed: January 2005
8  Thank IM2QT4U
Reviewed November 8, 2004

My trip to New York was a birthday present from my two girls. This hotel was very close to Times Square and there you have it. It's not a smart hotel, but it is somewhere to sleep that is within easy walking distance of a lot of attractions and the subway. The room was not that pleasant, but at least the sheets were clean. We only slept here we didn't hang around the lobby area, which had carpets of many different colours. It is cheap and therefore that it was you get. I wouldn't stay here for more than a few days, so if you plan to stay for more than 3 nights then it could get a bit depressing. Mine was a short break and therefore it served its purpose ... somewhere to sleep that was not too expensive. At least you got your own bathroom (even if it was not that clean). The corridor outside your room is dreadful as is the carpet, from what we could see, in most of the bedrooms. The other reviews are very accurate, apart from the fact that the hotel staff were not rude to us at all, in fact they were quite pleasant. Many people were staying at this hotel at the time and I think it is a question of make the most of what you have for the money you have paid, and ... don't expect too much!

Also, save money and get the subway to JFK Airport. It cost us 49 dollars to get to the hotel but by using the subway and the airtrain it was only 7! A massive saving if you are on a budget.

2  Thank harvey847
Reviewed November 7, 2004

I (REF: TIM-738817) spent one night in your hotel this weekend and i will NEVER stay there or encourage anyone to do so in the future!

The front desk staff was rude, refusing to look up my reservation, telling me i needed my email conformation sheet or i won't be staying at the hotel. She wanted me to go and download it and bring it to her. Fortunately, the other clerk looked on the list and found my name! The lobby was dirty, carpet needed vacuuming, as there were dust bunnies along the edges and the lobby also smelled.

When we got to our room, and opened the door we were in SHOCK! It was FILTHY! The beds were unmade, and the carpet...oh my god! The room had not been cleaned in a while, the place stunk! We saw a maid who told us "I had not been able to open the door..." after seeing the room, we concluded that she had not opened the door for a while!

We had to wait 20 minutes while she cleaned, she had to use a broom to clean/SWEEP the carpet, as she told me the vacuum was broken and had been for a while! When she was done, the room looked a bit better.

When flushing the toilet, water sprayed out of the pipes wetting you if you didn't jump out of the way! The bathroom tiles, were dirty and mildewed. Later when my friend flushed the toilet it over flowed!!! That was it for me! We had tried to find another hotel earlier in the day but all were booked, as it was the weekend of the marathon!

I have NEVER stayed in such a DUMP in my life! This place should be closed by the board of HEALTH or condemned!

• Stayed: November 2004
20  Thank Abiola S
A TripAdvisor Member
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed November 4, 2004

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in - and that is saying much as I have also travel in 3rd world countries...

The reception staff was rude, obnoxious, and minding their own business. The rooms were never cleaned - unless requested (after the 3rd request of the day someone did a half-hearted tidy up), the room was so dirty and disgusting (when we checked in there were dirty sheets in a pile at the bottom of the wardrobe - did I touch them? noooo!) I tried not looking under the beds, in the corners or at the bathtub too closely.. Totally disgusting.

I mean budgeting is ok, but there is no excuse for this filthy, unfriendly place to exist! I think someone should close them down.

The hotel also seemed to be the Falun Gong HQ in NY, which was not very nice either... imagine having your filthy hotel experience combined with crowds of people in a trance in the lobby - coupled with pictures of mutilated people that they were parading....

They almost ruined my holiday, I'm afraid.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member