4,298 results
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed February 23, 2009

I stayed at Hotel Carter for a week, and it is without doubt the worst stay in my life. I have travelled all over the world on business and pleasure, and have just not seen anything like this.

The room was so dirty that the Health Board should have closed it down years ago, the bed sheets was fairly clean, and thats about all. The windows towards the street was broken, the bath curtain was rotten.... seemed like a bad movie where only the police marks on the floor was missing.

Service was not existing at all - but the location was fantastic.

Were 4 people in 2 rooms, most of us got bed bugs.

Date of stay: May 2006
52  Thank Martin B
Reviewed February 21, 2009

I should have known that when I got a hotel in Manhattan for 100 a night that it would be a nasty bug infested experience! The downstairs bathroom in the lobby has graffiti that says "if you want an STD stay here!" It was the worst experience of my life and I ended up checking out that night and promply calling EVERY hotel in the city to find better accomodations. I ended up at the crowne plaza for 450 and it was worth EVERY penny! Do not stay in this place if your life depends on it. I wouldnt reccomend this hotel to my worst enemy of fear that they may die with some horrible disease.

Date of stay: February 2009
48  Thank rent69me
Reviewed February 11, 2009

I wouldn't bother staying at Hotel Carter even if you paid me. My safety and health are worth much more than any price! Having inspected hotels all over the world for American Airlines for over a 15 year period I've seen my share of what a budget room should look like. I wouldn't expect anything other than a comfortable and clean room! But, if I had to worry about bed bugs, black mold, umpteen safety and electrical codes not up to standard I would gladly stay elsewhere, even if the price was higher, and I would even consider sleeping outside with the homeless, for a cardboard box must be safer than this place.

This VirtualTourist.com review says Hotel Carter is 'free from infestation'. I would beg to differ as most of their reviews stated.

AOL just yesterday did a front page expose on this property calling it the worst hotel in America.

Wikipedia says it has been voted the filthiest hotel in America for FOUR consecutive years. You can read all about the hotel history here.
wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotel_Carter,_Manhattan

If words do not convey enough, just take a peek, if you dare, at the 263 candid tourist photo's taken and posted in a picture gallery shown right here on the tripadvisor.com website.
www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotos-g60763-d93421-Hotel_Carter-New_York_City_New_York.html

Someone once said a photo says a thousand words. I wonder what 263 photo's say? I would hope the city of New York would want this eyesore torn down. Perhaps, at one time this was a respectable hotel. But, that was then, and this is now. Considering this hotel was used as a homeless shelter sometime during the 1970-80's I would think that once turned back into a hotel some serious money and consideration would be the main priority for the proper renovations and updates to safety codes be made. I guess not. I am just glad in my many years in the travel industry I never booked a room there for any of my clientele. If they wanted such a budget property, I would have suggested an area YMCA or a hostel over this hotel in a heartbeat. I don't wish this hotel on my worst enemy....Ok, enough ranting.

People, educate yourself as much as possible when booking your own trips. Listen to what others have to say. Budget is budget - do not expect pools, spa's and restaurants. But, expect a clean and comfortable atmosphere, certainly not a place where dead mice are laying on the floor, black mold surrounds you in the shower and beds infested with bedbugs as you will awaken with a bad rash all over you.

Save this place for the quickie-prostitutes and their clients as this is who the hotel really caters to.

You can't compare this budget property with others as it is like comparing apples and oranges. These are the wisest words I can give to anyone considering this hotel and I've inspected hotels for 20 years.

Date of stay: May 2008
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
85  Thank vudubabz
Reviewed January 29, 2009

A couple of friends and I stayed at this hotel briefly about three years ago.

After a night of drinking, we were looking for a place to crash for the night. Most places were $250 and above nearby. We stumbled upon the hotel carter and we thought it was a steal for $150, so we paid for a room, got a key and went up to the room.

Our first suggestion that this might have been a bad idea was when we got off the elevator on our floor. The entire hallway smelt like freshly smoked weed. The smell was actually overbearing, it smacked us in the face as soon as the elevator doors opened.

We finally get to our room. Upon entering we get hit by another stench coming from the bathroom. We were lucky enough to have the previous guests inner bowels all over the toilet bowl.

We took a look at the uncleaned beds, one had an ice pack with someone's blood on it and the other bed had no sheets on it.

We made beeline to the front desk and for some reason they refunded our credit card. Perhaps that was the best part of the hotel.

Date of stay: August 2006
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
32  Thank kharri1073
Reviewed January 29, 2009

based on previous reviews, i was surprised that the sheets appeared to be clean, and the mattress was fairly well intact. But that's where it ended.

The water never ran clear in the sink and the water in the tub was frightening. The shower did appear to have clean water.

There was a hole in the wall that connected to the outside. Nothing whatsoever stopping "something" from entering the room through the hole. I could put my finger in the hole, and my finger was outside.

If the carpets had ever been cleaned, it was not in my lifetime.

the overhead light did not work -- probably because most of its pieces were missing. The electrical outlets were all missing their covers -- every one of them was exposed. There was no night stand, but rather a stackable metal chair with a clean pillow case covering the seat, and the phone sat on that.

Date of stay: January 2009
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
24  Thank Brian P