4,296 results
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed October 18, 2008

I was not asking for much.
All I wanted was a clean bed and room.... i don't even need a television. The Carter hotels first impression was appealing due to the fact that it is in one of the best locations and it was cheap. From the minute I rung up to get directions I received no service. I got the response from an Asian Lady "Just get here!". Once I got there by cab i checked in and to my shock there was blood on both my beds in the room. The room had not been cleaned and there was still soap left behind from the previous guest. I went to complain to the service desk and the response was that they clean every alternate day and the cleaner is not here. I was burning up! I was listening to one of the guest next to me complain about a similar issue.
They turned around and also said to him that it is not a 5 star hotel. The arrogance displayed in the hotel staff left a very sour taste in my mouth. The service clerk then gave me two bed sheets to change myself and that was the best solution according to management. The list of things that went wrong just piled from there on and to some up what happened I will wrtie down what happened to my 6 day stay on the hotel;

1) Blood on the Sheets the first day
2) On the second day the whole hotel completely ran out of toilet paper
3) Day 3 still waiting for toilet paper.
4) They never cleaned my room the 6 day i was there
5) I developed rashes form bed bugs and it was the same with my friend who was travelling with me at the time also sleeping in the same room but different bed. Doctors confirmed that it was bed bugs. This ruined parts of the trip and made both me and my friend irritated from scratching the whole trip.

Bottom line is that I have photos that i was going to post up of the hotel and rashes. But after checking all the serious negetive reviews and warnings you have to be pretty brave to spend your money here. I am quite a simple chap and my advice is that it's hard to come home from travelling a hard day in the crowded city to an absolute rat hole. If you had just a little more money just spend it on a slightly better hotel.

Stayed: September 2008
2  Thank Mr_Black_8
Reviewed October 18, 2008

In real estate the mantra is Location Location Location!
This hotel has that going for it since it is on Times Square, but everything went downhill from there. My wife & I booked this for the Columbus Day Week-end. The hallways smelled bad, the room was missing the bathroom door, carpets were so bad in the room that I was afraid to walk barefoot, no glasses or cups of any kind for our use, 1 set of towels in the room, (we picked up another on our way back in later), soap that was so old that it crumbled on opening the wrapper, no other cosmetic amenities.
1 overhead light for the entire room, which was inadequate for reading, none in the entranceway & a total lack of cleaning service. After coming back late on Sunday we found our room exactly as we left it that morning. No garbage removal, no new towels, the bed hadn't been made. It was late so we made do. The following morning on our way out, I asked about it at the front desk. The person at the desk said "we will look into it". That night, late again when we arrived, the same dirty condition. Checking out the next morning I asked the same counter person about the cleaning service & conveniently couldn't understand english! AVOID THIS HOTEL!!!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank MassachusettsPbh
Reviewed October 16, 2008

Okay....I just found out about this being the countries dirtiest hotel after I stayed there...since my friend works for hotels and came across this list!

Anyways.....It wasn't too bad....for 106 a night.....which was the rate I got on www.lastminutetravel.com..... it was totally worth it!
Yes everything everyone is saying is true...wierd Asian people in lobby.....connected to Cheetahs ......funny doorman 24/7 ....No maid service....bring your own towel...soap and shampoos... the carpets were nasty... ...no outlets.....SMELLY market downstairs....ewww! I was awaken each morning from a vaccuum cleaner in hallway...I thought it was a maid...but I guess they only change trash that piles up in hallways...near elevators... which they call "cable cars" ....

The bathrooms weren't too bad...and yes private...so for a few nights you pay what you would in any other NYC hotel for 1 night...so yes...what they state on website when you book " this hotel is for the budget traveler" it is!

Its better to spend money in nice restaurants...bars and Broadway shows.....why for a room you will be in for a few awaken hours!!!

Happy Travels!!!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Runner1123
Reviewed October 15, 2008

This is simple the most disgusting hotel I have ever seen or stayed in.

There were no blanket on the bed, just sheets and a bed spread.

There were only 2 towels and one hand towel in the room no wash cloth.

The carpet was torn on the floor, full of stains and at least 25 years old.

There was graffiti on the walls in the room and in the hallways. There were no lights in parts of the hall way, and any one can walk off the street and in to the hotel, there was no one to checking people coming in. Certainly no security and certainly not very safe. And when I left I checked under the bed for any belongings, I strongly recommend that you do not do this. (It was full of garbage)

If your on a budget stay in Jersey City and use the Subway.

This Hotel Looks like something from Taxi driver.

This Hotel is an Insult to all upstanding flea bag and flop house world wide.

The 4 star ratings reviews on the Net have to be a fabrication from the hotel.

This is simple Internet fraud. It looks nothing like the photos they give on the Net.

Can you give a minus rating? How about a -5

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
6  Thank ShawnMoorePhoto
Reviewed October 14, 2008

We stayed here Sept 27th-29th. I actually booked a "Standard Room with Double Bed" for only $100/night (on a website called Agoda). Major score, until I read all the reviews and freaked out. I was traveling with my boyfriend, and this was our first trip together, so I wanted to make sure he did not unconsciously associate me with bedbugs somehow. It turned out to be just fine. Location and cost really does redeem the hotel from any negatives!

I called the day before to make sure they had our reservation, and when we got to the hotel, we had no trouble checking in. There are doormen standing at the small entrance 24/7, and they're fun, probably because they're used to seeing some sketchy characters come from Cheetah's, the strip joint next door. Calm down though, down the street from THAT is the Westin, so the street's not that shady (literally in Times Square). There's always somebody at the "front desk" (a walled-of banker's counter), and during our stay, it was a young (early 20s) Hispanic or Asian guy the whole time. There were always a lot of people hanging around the lobby, which was sort of dingy, but that's where the hotel offers FREE WIFI (as well as computers if you want to pay for access). This is huge for anybody addicted to their email. For some reason, there were a lot of Asian businessmen at this hotel, and in general, a lot of foreigners.

Our room, 812 (I think? Can't completely remember), was right by the elevator, but we never had any noise problems. The room was pretty old: the front door jammed, the bathroom's small (and the door didn't completely shut; there were 2 small bars of soap and thin, worn towels provided, and the tub was newly remodeled with a new shower curtain that smelled like it came straight out of the package), and we discovered some ceiling plaster was falling onto the head of the bed. TV is small, and didn't get a lot of channels (plus somebody totally stole the remote control). There was an AC, fully functional, but there are only the two 3-pronged outlets in the room (for the TV and AC), so choose wisely which you would unplug to charge your phone. The room also had a closet, the cleanliness of which I didn't totally trust.

But honestly, none of that would kill me, or even harm me in any way. We were surprised with a king-sized bed instead of just a double! We did make our own bed each day, as there is no maid service. I think the key to the stay was that as soon as we checked in, I went to the Duane Reade across the street and picked up some Febreeze (or generic air and fabric antibacterial spray) and sprayed down EVERYTHING in the room- the bed, between the sheets, the bare mattress, the floors, the closet, the bathroom, the shower curtain, the AC, the hallway outside our room, and even my boyfriend. No bedbugs during the trip; I got more bites just from walking around New York.

Check out is at Noon, and involves just dropping your room card into a little clear plastic box on a desk. Not fancy. You can store your luggage for $2/bag, and you do this with the concierge who directs you to the doorman. You should probably tip too, but... we didn't. He really deserved it though, it's a hard job!

I enjoyed the experience, overall, and thought the location made it a lot easier to see all of New York. The staff were friendly, the rooms were fine, and we had NO problems with water pressure, electricity, or bugs. This hotel could be a lot cleaner and better, with thicker linens and better amenities, but then, I wouldn't be able to afford a place in Times Square!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple