“Great for budget travellers”
Review of Hotel Carter

Hotel Carter
Ranked #415 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed May 11, 2014

Excellent location, close to Times Square and public transport routes. As other reviewers have noted, there are no frills, but it is clean enough and comfortable. It was a bit tricky to find cheap food nearby though, given the proximity to Times Square (I assume you are on a budget if you are considering staying at this hotel).

We did have a slight drama - one morning water started coming through our roof (I think the person above flooded their bathroom). To their credit management fixed us up with another room instantly. We just packed up our stuff and there was another room waiting, no fuss.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank LivandZac87
sjpr2006, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Carter, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We strive to provide the best service experience and it is great to read from our guest. We look forward to your return trip to NYC and of course be our guest again

There are newer reviews for Hotel Carter

Reviewed May 9, 2014

I'll be honest, I was really worried about this hotel before I got there after reading all the bad reviews!

I was surprised by how good this hotel is! OK, it is dated but it was clean and location is practically on Times Square. I would 100% stay here again! We got this hotel so cheap.

We had 2 double beds, the bathroom was quite small but we had hot water whenever we needed it. You dont get some of the smaller things in this hotel like hairdryer, ice bucket but who cares in NYC?

We spent little time in the room anyway, all we wanted was a clean bed and shower and its exactly what we got!

Rooms were cleaned every other day as other people have said but the staff were more than happy to give us extra towels or toilet roll if we needed it.

Only one bit of advice would be TAKE EAR PLUGS, being on Times Square it is very noisy at night.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank Cl4r3-S

Thank you for taking the time to post your positive comments and share some great information with others. We look forward to your return trip to NYC.

Reviewed May 7, 2014

This is the 2nd time I stay here because its great location. The subway is just in the corner, time square right in the corner too, farmacy, markets, restaurants, everything right there.

I guess this old building should have a rooms restorations. I love location, I hate old bathroom from this hotel, and old furniture.

The hotel owners or the hotel staff must know that they should take advantange of its location to serve better the guests.

Room Tip: Try to get a room oposite to 43st, the noise is so strong that you cant sleep
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Sofball23

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Hotel Carter.! I was glad to read that your enjoy the location of the hotel. Thank you again and hope to see you soon

Reviewed May 6, 2014 via mobile

Very basic hotel...neat and clean rooms...nothing fancy. Although i must admit we were a bit concerned reading all the negative reviews prior to our check in...but its not that bad.
And the best part...LOCATION...its right on times square...and a small walk to all major attractions..if you dont mind basic stuff..go for it.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
5  Thank chirag01

Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

I guess everything this hotel has to offer corresponds to its rating - 1 star. It is terrible: tiny rooms, dirty blankets, no service. The room wasn't cleaned in a week. The only way of how the 'staff' was friendly was by saying "hi" to everyone. And every additional service costs money - from Wi-Fi ($30 per device for 2 days) to leaving the luggage in a locker room after the check-out.
Tip: the higher up the building, the better the rooms are (for the same cost).

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Eugene L

Thank you for taking the time to describe your recent experience at Hotel Carter. I apologize that the accommodations were not up to standard. Thank you again

Reviewed May 4, 2014

$80 a night and stones throw from Time Square and subways...it was super-ideal for me and I would most definately come back! Whiny & entitled, high maintenance people who want their butts kissed by staff ...well you guys will be cry thru your whole vacation if you stay here...bummer for you. There is no hotel gift shop, there is no hotel bar or restaurant. (I didn't care--there was all of NYC to enjoy right out the front door).

The Hotel Carter is a very old building. The walls and trim have been painted over a million times but is functional. The bathroom fixtures are also old, but functional. The furniture is pretty run down but functional. The carpet in the room, old-ish but functional. Getting the picture?

What I got: I showed up at noon and my room was all ready to go (even though the sign clearly says, "Check in begins at 3pm". The staff was super friendly and helpful. They made it clear that I should never smoke in the room or pay a hefty fine (no biggie, I am not a smoker)..I suspect this also prevents people from smoking weed. My buddies at the Raddison had the exact same policy to abide by. Hotel Carter has a clear "No Visitors" policy. I had to show my keycard to the staff each time I entered the building. No keycard, no entry.

The room was very basic: a very cozy king size bed,clean sheets, 3 comfy pillows a closet with hangers, nightstand and broken dresser. The comforter was pretty old and pilled. I had** plenty** of clean towels. I was surprised to receive a bottle of shampoo and a little bar of soap (I brought my own shampoo/cond/lotion knowing none would be provided). The bed was super comfy. The AC worked great. The TV had about 5+ stations: USA, Univision, Disney, ABC and a few others. I set the sleep timer on the remote and enjoyed some law and order and old school CSI.

I read the negative reviews here about towels and the comforter so I brought a flannel sheet and pillow cases AND a camping towel. I did use the flannel sheet to cover myself (over the clean sheets provided) instead of using the comforter. I used the camping towel a little, only cuz I brought it...not that I really needed it.The water pressure was great and consistent. The door was safe and secure. I didn't notice any city noise when I had the window open..but that kinda thing doesn't bother me.

They held my bags after I checked out for $4 and have an awesome shuttle to and from the airport for $20. I would come here again and again. Have a great time :)

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
7  Thank T H
sjpr2006, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Carter, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2014

Reviewed May 4, 2014

It's all about the location with decent and cheap price. It's not a 5 star hotel, so dont expect much! The hotel is old, small rooms, which we didnt mind coz we were out most of the time. 5 min walk to times square, closer to subway stations.The only problem in my stay was the bathroom had a piping issue, water didnt drain in the bath tub. We told the reception and moved us to another room. Overall, it was an OK experience.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends