“Superb Location Carter Hotel, Newyork”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Carter

Hotel Carter
Ranked #411 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Kuwait City, Kuwait
“Superb Location Carter Hotel, Newyork”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

This hotel has a superb location,,,but that's about it. Creepy room and outdated stuff all over. Just 200mts. away from the vibrant Times Square. Surrounded by tourists all over and nice restaurants, pizza places, Duane Reade, clothing stores are all within walking distance. I paid $:175/- a night which was pricey considering others get it for $:125/- but then again this is NYC,,,so prices are based to what u get at the time of booking. I did my booking online Aug'13 1st. week. No free Wi-Fi which I thought come on,,,isn't this NYC,,,but cheap hotel so cheap traits. You pay for everything,,,and that chinky reception girl needs a shake up if you need to get her to smile. Everything is available just outside the hotel,,,so just use the hotel for your base to keep your bags and head out sight-seeing in this wonderful city.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DavidGonsalves7
sjpr2006, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Carter, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Your kind comments are most welcome. We are indeed working hard on enhancements to our property - and we look forward to wowing you next time you honor us with a visit. Kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Orkanger, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

Hotel close to Times Square, renovated not long time ago. Both backpackers and family people there. Not a luxury place, but cheap compared to most of the hotels, and an all right place to stay. Will stay there next time I'll visit N.Y.C!
We were staying there in june 2012, not in 2013,( impossible to coose 2012 below)

Room Tip: We had to change room because something was leaking in the bathroom. They gave us a new room at once...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Oddny2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

We stayed in Hotel Carter in February on the coldest day of the year.

Let's look at the positives:

1. It's located in Times Square surrounded by nice restaurants, the subway, cheap pizza places, 24 Duane Reade, McDonalds, a few musuems, clothing stores, Sanrio and other fun places.

2. Hotel Carter is cheap. I was able to book my room on the same week that I was traveling. I got the room for $125 a night.

3. The hotel is really quite and I got a decent nights sleep.

4. My rooms was clean.

5. A walk in closet.

The negatives

1. No hot water. Not even warm water. I had plenty of cold water, more than enough again on the coldest day of the year. I could not get warm by taking a shower.

I'm not sure if I got a crappy room because I had a toddler. Maybe they thought my daughter would make noise so they put us in the last room on the floor.

2. The TV would be normal for 1 to 4 minutes and then VERY VERY LOUD FOR THE NEXT 2 MINUTES. The remote did not turn it up or down at all. It had one setting. soft/LOUD

3. Since we were located in the very last room on the floor we decided to take the elevator that was right next to the room. Turns out that was a service elevator that let us off on a floor that was under construction. The floor was a plaster dust pile. I'm not complaining about the construction because I couldn't hear it at all. I'm complaining about the lack of signage that didn't inform us about the service elevator and warm us not to take it.

4. The store attached to the hotel is really high priced.

5. Rooms were cleaned but towels were not added. On the second day of stay I don't feel that I need to ask for more towels. Towels also smelled of bleach.

6. Wifi cost $10 to access. Wifi could be added to the room cost. It doesn't have to be a separate fee.

7. Heat worked but could have been warmer. There really wasn't a temperature setting.

8. The bathroom was drafty.

For the price spent would I go back to Hotel Carter? If I couldn't afford anything better yes I would. The location is great. To be objective maybe the lack of hot water and lack of being able to control room temperature was do to the construction that was going on floors below the floor that I was staying on.

This hotel felt and acted more like a motel. Prepare yourself for the very basics.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank LaWaughn
sjpr2006, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Carter, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

I stayed for 7nts from 11Nov and from the minute I checked in, Driss from reception had a welcome smile, got me a great room and whenever passing by reception he always had a beatiful smile to all hotel guests, this is customer service at highest level! The hotel offers a great accomodation for the value of money paid, if you want to save your money on a clean room and spend the rest on tours, dining or shopping, Carter hotel NY in my opinion is the answer!

Room Tip: Try to get a street facing room
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank tm19481948
Thank you for your kind words, particularly about the Hotel Carter Team. We take great pride in our people and feel strongly they are, hands down, our biggest asset. Rest assured your words will be shared with them. We look forward to welcoming you back
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

I had to run errands very quickly in NYC and chose a hotel simply by price for one night. In terms of price, you can't beat it -- right in Times Square and around loads of tourist-y activities -- but the rooms were just terrible and dilapidated. My room was dirty, paint chipped everywhere and smelled awful. I was too frightened to turn off the lights. The bathroom was dirty, with dust and dirt everywhere on the floor and in the corners.

Really, I would hardly consider this a hotel -- more like a hostel.

The fact that the internet is 10$ is quite absurd. In this day and age, I feel as though wi-fi should be free/included in the price of the room.

But, really, this place is great if you only decide to sleep and not spend any time in the hotel. It's dirty and I am pretty sure I got bug bites.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to describe your recent experience at Hotel Carter. I apologize that the accommodations were not up to standard. Thank you again

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

I came to new york with my husband for the first time in October feeling a little apprehensive after reading some awful reviews about this place, we had already booked and thought we were getting a great deal for our location compared to other hotels nearby and guess what...we did! Look, if you want the ritz,stay there, if you want 5 star luxury, then pay for it! We arrived to a friendly enough reception, got our key to our room early, had a great view! Ok the rooms are dated but our bed was clean and after travelling from the UK I was more than happy with the hot shower we both had, , we went straight out to do what you are supposed to do when you visit this electric city,did everything we wanted to do and arrived back absolutely shattered, slept like logs with no sign of these "bugs" or "bites" and trust me, I get bit!! Tv had plenty of channels for something to watch before bed and we had wifi in our room, in fact my hubby booked our flights to florida and our hotel there with it so was reliable enough! Really if you've booked this already and are panicking like we were, chill. If you came to new york to flip your mattress and get a torch to go looking for mould then you need a life.Our towels and sheets were clean and our shower hot and powerful, ive stayed in worse . overall we left happy and I'd stay again when we return :)

5 Thank Samantha K
sjpr2006, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Carter, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Hotel Carter. I was glad to read that your stay was pleasant and met your needs without breaking the budget! Thank you again and hope to see you soon.
Brasilia, DF
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

The hotel is old, the rooms are small and they are not cleaned everyday, so you get the whole idea that the hotel is not very clean. Besides, the towels are very thin and, since the room is not cleaned everyday, you have to get your own clean towels at the reception if you need dry towels everyday. But the hotel is quite inexpensive, considering Manhattan standards. And it is very well located, right on the theater district. Also, I have stayed at other hotels at the same area and they were more expensive and not so much more comfortable. So, if you can't afford a five star, I recommend the Carter.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends