“Basic but clean, good service and perfect location!”
Review of Hotel Carter

Hotel Carter
Ranked #417 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel before and going back next week. Was absolutely satisfied with the room and the service. Do not expect luxury, but the rooms are basic but clean and had all the comfort we needed. When we stayed here the first time we were recommended to ask for a renovated room and that is what we got. So hopefully we will have this next week aswell. The staff was friendly and willing to help and the location is absolutely perfect. I definetely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: ask for a renovated room
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank marieke985
sjpr2006, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Carter, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2013

Thank you for your kind words, particularly about the Hotel Carter Team. We take great pride in our people and feel strongly they are, hands down, our biggest asset. Rest assured your words will be shared with them. We look forward to welcoming you back

Reviewed October 9, 2013

The location of this hotel is too good for people who want to stay in manhattan. Everything is around including Hop On Hop Off Tour Buses starting and end points. But rooms were too small (I didnt mind it provided I got best location I can ask for that price)

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed October 6, 2013

This hotel is cheap so we didn't expect much. It ended up to be not as bad as I thought.
After reading some of the other reviews I was pretty worried about staying there but it really isn't too bad. The room was very dated/old fashioned but the sheets and towels were all clean. We spent every day out sight seeing and shopping so dated furniture and carpets really didn't bother us.
The location was great, it's 5 mins from the heart of Times Square so perfect to drop of shopping bags etc.
If your looking for a 5 star hotel & don't mind paying the price for it, don't stay here. But if your looking for a cheap hotel with a great location this hotel does the job. If I came to NYC again I would stay here.

• Stayed: October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Hotel Carter. I was glad to read that your stay was pleasant and met your needs without breaking the budget! Thank you again and hope to see you soon.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

We booked two rooms at The Carter in August. Having read a lot of reviews we were a little apprehensive but thought we'd chance it.
The rooms are small and old but clean. Could definitely do with a make over but again ... shabby but clean. What more do you really need in NYC? Clean room, sheets, bathroom. The location is absolutely perfect. There is someone at the FrontDesk at all times and a guard in the hall. If you want to use the elevator, you need to present your room key. Feels safe.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank xAmaronex
sjpr2006, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Carter, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2013

Reviewed October 2, 2013

The worst hotel I ever been to, EVER. At arrival they asked to copy my credit card, and as I paid online already, I had to say ok. The Rooms are very small and very discusting, you can see old pipes on the wall. Someone should report NYPD and tourism ministry about this hotel.

Room Tip: I warned you; The worst hotel ever
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank friscati2013
sjpr2006, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Carter, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to describe your recent experience at Hotel Carter. I apologize that the accommodations were not up to standard. Thank you again

Reviewed October 2, 2013

The location for this hotel was amazing especially for the price but......the room was on the 8th floor and soooo dated. We had one room with two beds and there was hardly any space. One of the mattresses had 4 spring poking out but the bedding was clean. The bathroom was clean but had mould on all the walls and the rooms were cleaned every other day. The door to our room stuck so we had to kick it open but the hotel was very busy and since we were not going to spend to much time in the room i didn't see the point in complaining and i had also read the reviews which warned me that it was not going to be luxury. There was no view but this i didn't mind and the lifts were ran quite well. Hotel staff i found very friendly and helpful but i must warn that wifi was about £30 for the week which i thought was quite expensive.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Your kind comments are most welcome. We are indeed working hard on enhancements to our property - and we look forward to wowing you next time you honor us with a visit. Kind regards,

Reviewed October 1, 2013

As a solo male traveller, this place is perfect for a budget journey, ($99 per night), with the added advantage that the location is amazing. Bang on Times Square! Any other place would be double or more the price for this location. Okay, is not a five star sort of place, but if you intend to spend your time inside your room, then why go to NYC? The rooms are ancient, clean and spacious. The concept of hot water is a theoretical idea, but if you want an authentic 1950`s feel, the Hotel Carter is for you! I stayed there twice for two nights each time, in May and June 2012. Surprisingly quite. I stayed on the seventh floor both times. I will definitely stay again next time I`m in NYC.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the lifts.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
sjpr2006, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Carter, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013