“Great price, great location. I couldn't ask for more”
Review of Hotel Carter

Hotel Carter
Ranked #418 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 5 nights, we weren't expecting much for the price we got. We only needed a place to sleep well, leave our things and take a good shower. We got all that.
Do not expect to see your room all tide up as soon as u come back, is not that kind of place. Is, as I said, a place to sleep, take a shower and leave your stuff while u are out. That's it! No fancy stuff, just a room.

• Stayed: September 2013
sjpr2006, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Carter, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Hotel Carter. I was glad to read that your stay was pleasant and met your needs without breaking the budget! Thank you again and hope to see you soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,296)

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Myself and my partner booked here we just wanted a clean hotel nothing fancy as we wudnt be in much well thankfully we had friends in Woodlawn were we ended up staying this hotel was that bad we never stayed at all! We arrived an I went into the reception of the hotel to use the toilet well wot can I say at the entrance till the toilet there was a poo lying at the door b4 I even walked into the toilet how it got there I don't even want till know so then headed up till the room an to be greeted by carpeted walls an doors written all over I was horrified so we turned an walked out I know u might not want to pay alot for accomadation but we paid around£800 for this I wudnt let me dog sleep here total dump!!!

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Tinanug1
sjpr2006, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Carter, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to describe your recent experience at Hotel Carter. I apologize that the accommodations were not up to standard. Thank you again.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

You know the old saying you get what you pay for,,,,,well this is no Ritz on the Carlton but it wasn't half bad.
First of all location was prime. Literally a two minute walk to Times Square. For that reason alone I recommend it.
The rooms air conditioning worked fine. There were no bugs whatsoever.
The bed sheets were clean.
Now by no means are they pretty or decorated rooms they are very simple in furnishings,
A real turnoff was paying to store the suitcase $3 until check in and another $3 when storing suitcase after check out. Bit of a cash grab there.
So simply put nothing special but location can't be beat and reasonable rates.

Room Tip: Don't eat in small cafe that is attached to hotel....complete ripoff!!!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank cujoetta
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We booked a week in NYC via Expedia, and booked the Hotel Carter blind. I checked reviews afterwards and was slightly nervous, given what I read. However, I need not have worried. True, the hotel is tired, old and in need of refurbishment. But, the location is literally 100 yards from Times Square, and at these prices the value and location are amazing.

Our first room, alas, stank. Literally. But, the ever-courteous and professional staff changed our room with no fuss whatever, and our subsequent room was a huge improvement. Unfortunately we were visited by a cockroach (now-deceased) on our last night but as far as unwanted guests were concerned that was it.

Check-in was smooth, as was check-out. The rooms are very basic, no glasses, no do not disturb signs, but they are kept clean. This hotel is more for the backpacker type than the luxury traveler, but as we are not precious this was fine by us.

Some of the more extreme reviews here, I believe, are more a reflection of unreasonable expectations than the quality of the hotel itself, and if the hotel was up to the standard of others in the area, I suspect it would become unaffordable to the average Joe who flocks to this establishment.

Overall, Location, 5. Staff & Service, 5. Hotel - erm....

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room. Also, rooms below floor 12 are less affected by a very noise fan
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank The_Great_Cornholio

Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stayed 3 nights and were very nervous due to overall reviews of hotel. We thought it was great for right at $100/night. Only gave 3 but would give it a 5 for the value. We approached employees with questions several times and were always treated politely. Anyone who pays about $100/night for this location and complains about it being old and not taken care of is an idiot. We wanted a place in a great location with a bed and shower and got what we paid for and would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank J C
sjpr2006, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Carter, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to let us know your experience at the Hotel Carter. I am glad to hear that you were pleased at the value. We take great pride in our cleanliness and service and we truly hope to see you soon. Thank You again.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stayed 3 nights over Labor Day Weekend. Like many, after reading the reviews, we were not sure if it would be for us. Even stepping into the lobby, I was still doubtful. HOWEVER; I'm so glad we kept our reservation. We LOVED the location. It could not have been any better.... so close to Times Square w/ a subway entrance & Police Station right there. Since it was us four ladies traveling, I was also apprehension about the "Cheetah Club" being right next to our hotel. I wasn't too happy about that, but I really did feel safe in our hotel. Every time we would go to reenter the hotel, the concierge would ask for our hotel key. I felt really great about that! The room was dated & small, but very clean. The hotel staff was EXTREMELY friendly. The bell hop met us at the door & carried our luggage up the small flight of stairs at the hotel entrance. The front desk was great about extra towels & had things like hair dryers available to "check out" to your room. Another thing worth mentioning, there was a ton of young people/college aged people staying here, but no problems with partying or loud noises at night. We slept just fine every night. This is definitely not a 4 star hotel, but it was a GREAT safe, clean stay for $139/night and a perfect location. :) And lastly, just a heads up, you may want to think twice before ordering from the little deli/quick shop next to the lobby. One of my travel companions purchased 3 bottles of water & a naked juice. The total came to $17!! We learned to just stop at one of the little kiosks in Times square where water was $1/bottle instead! :)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank SDtravel G

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad that the accommodations were up to standard.We take great pride in our cleanliness and service. Thank you again.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Carter for three nights and after reading some of the reviews about the hotel we became apprehensive. However, our fears were dispelled upon arrival. The staff were helpful, the room was clean and the linen was changed every day. Granted, this is a budget hotel and for $100 per night we didn't expect luxury. The best thing about Hotel Carter is its fantastic location just 100 yards from Times Square. The only negative point that I found was that the air conditioning unit was a little noisy, but we spent all our time out exploring NYC and used the hotel as a base so it was only a minor issue. If I ever go back to NYC I would have no qualms about staying at the Carter again. Don't believe the negative reviews. People can be a bit precious sometimes and it is easy to be critical.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank C41GBH
sjpr2006, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Carter, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Thank you for your kind words, particularly about the Hotel Carter Team. We take great pride in our people and feel strongly they are, hands down, our biggest asset. We look forward to welcoming you back .