“Don't be cheap and go somewhere better”
Review of Hotel Carter

Hotel Carter
Ranked #414 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Boston, Massachusetts
“Don't be cheap and go somewhere better”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I realize that hotels in New York are expensive, but it is important to know that ahead of time so the trip can be planned - whether for vacation or business.
The only thing I can really say positive about this hotel is the location is quite central, but even then I personally don't love Times Square and find it to be overrated. The staff was neither overly friendly nor rude.
This hotel is pretty brutal - old, the lobby is like an old, dirty mall, the rooms were tiny and you could hear every noise. My overall impression of New York was horribly tainted by this hotel until I went again and stayed in a better hotel for slightly more money. I literally had to jump on my bed to get to the other side of the room to adjust the insanely noisy air conditioning unit.
Quite frankly, it boggles my mind that I didn't bump into any cockroaches or anything of that sort.
All in all, if you can afford to spend $50 or a bit more per night in addition, I highly recommend doing that.

Room Tip: My room looked right into the other side of the hotel, with windows of other rooms. If possible to h...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Graham E

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Windermere, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 5, 2013

The reviews are correct it is in a great location. Rooms are spacious and clean, my bathroom had been re tiled recently. You do get what you pay for, in fact it was better than I expected after reading the reviews on here. Hot water was hot every day apart from 1 out of 7. If you want a safe they are behind the reception desk, not in your rooms. I didn't get a safe and nothing went missing. The maid was lovely and friendly on floor 15. Reception has a funny smell in it, like a mouldy, mildew smell and reception staff and tour excursion staff are very grumpy, not sure why, I didnt book any excursions with them, but the hotel porter is lovely, he is always offering to help you and has a smile of his face. Had to pay an extra $3 for the hotel to store my suitcase for 2 hours, I wouldn't mind but he left the door wide open for anyone to help themselves to my suitcase. Don't write this hotel off though, I paid $81 per night, which I booked through the Internet a couple of months ago. Bed is very comfy too.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Helen W
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed June 4, 2013

This hotel is as far from luxury as one can get, but at a great location 20 meters from Times Square! We stayed there for a week and had an amazing time in New York. The hotel smells like sigarettes and mold, the employes are nice enough and the beds are OK to sleep in. Would I stay there again? probably.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank kine w

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

After reading all the reviews we sceptical about staying here, we had booked our 10 night stay before reading these awful reviews, however, we needn't have worried. Granted the hotels hotels decor was dated, but the room in which we stayed was spotless, the sheets and towels were crisp and white. The hotel staff were all friendly and helpful. There was no sign of an infestation of any kind. The mattresses looked new, the beds were comfortable and were the perfect place to rest after a full day in NYC!

During our stay we were joined by two friends, who had a room four floors above us, their room was equally spotlessly clean!

The hotel is located on 43rd street, halfway between Broadway and 8th ave, literally a stones throw from Times Square with its lights, theatres, restaurants and its shops!

To anyone thinking of booking, or who has already booked, do not believe the horrible reviews, that have been written about this hotel, we will stay at this hotel on our next visit to NYC.

Please bear in mind, this is a budget hotel, if your after a luxury hotel in which you'll be staying in your room 24 hours a day, looking to miss out on the sights and sounds of NYC, look elsewhere!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank medic_and_family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 1, 2013

The location was perfect in Times Square, one block away was the wax museum, ripleys believe it or not, IMAX, toys r us, forever 21, etc.... I could keep going. We stayed at the hotel 3 nights mostly just to sleep since we were out and about sight seeing, shopping and dinning. The price was is for what u expect. I would stay here again. Btw there is a gentle men's club next door "cheetah's"

Room Tip: I went on memorial weekend and I had a room facing 43rd street so it was not the quietest, but when...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Brampton, Canada
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Let's start off with the word CHEAP. We booked via Expedia.ca and hotel + air (from Buffalo) was $500/pp - taxes in - for ONE WEEK. Most hotels alone are $100-$200 a night in the same area. So if you want to be in Times Square and you don't need your sheets changed every day or a pool... book with Hotel Carter. There were 3 of us, so we rotated who got the bed to themselves (2 twin beds). Also, 2/3 of us are on the larger side, but the room worked it's purpose which was a place to crash/keep shopping bags. If you are high maintenance and will frown about everything, then pay double and stay somewhere more posh.

Pluses:
*LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION
*PRICE
*Most hotel staff were helpful (it outweighed the one lady at reception that was not) - Luis the doorman is super helpful
*No bed bugs
*Working toilet and hot water (there were 3 girls in total and we all had hot showers)
*Great water pressure (I really appreciate good water pressure in showers)
*A/C unit in the room
*Initially the phone in our room didn't work but they fixed it (mind you, I had to remind them 4 different times in 2 days but I find that a lot in any place - 1.5 star or 4 stars)
*Quick and easy check in/check out

Minuses:
*Flat pillows (if you like lots of pillows, either try requesting more or bring your own)
*Pay for WiFi ($50 USD/week which is insane considering every McDs and Starbucks has free Wifi and there are plenty around the hotel, not to mention Times Square has it's on wifi band which is free)
*Bathroom door didn't close fully or lock (but since we are close friends and the room is small we just knew not to barge in)
*Sheets did have cigarette burns and you can tell they don't vacuum much - again, not a huge deal and the sheets are washed, but I guess they don't toss out the ruined ones
*If you care about in room safes, they do not have one. They do have bank type boxes (long skinny ones) at the front desk that you can store cash, passports, etc. They are not big enough for laptops (we had 2 in the room, and nothing was stolen).

We didn't care about pool, fitness centre, etc. Their "business centre" is a row of desks with computers - they are hooked up to a printer if you wanted to check in your flight and print boarding passes - I did $5 USD (goes directly into the machine) for 30 minutes. It deducts something like 2 minutes off your time for each page you print. It did the job and I had 20 minutes left to surf around to use up my time before checking out.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a good location of a room, but I would say, check in, check out your room...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank MrsSTVO
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We booked well ahead having never been to NYC before. We crossed our fingers that Hotel Carter would be OK.
We checked in with one of the girls on reception. She was very friendly and courteous.
We were pleasantly surprised when we entered our room. It wasn't as small as we had been led to believe. It was clean and pretty good value and the location was great! One street from Times Square. A great place to start your daily explorations.
The sheets were only changed once in the week we were there. The paintwork could be brightened up with a fresh coat.
If you're looking for a 4 star hotel service this isn't for you, but if you're in New York looking for a base to get out on your adventures and you're not keen to stay in your room then Hotel Carter may be just what you need

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple