“Location, location and value!”
Review of Hotel Carter

and 1 more site!
Hotel Carter
Ranked #420 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed March 12, 2013

The price was great, the rooms were ok but the location was excellent! Being 1 block away from Time Square was priceless! It's where the action is at both at day and night. The hotel is located where you have access to everything. Which was a definate plus. The hotel rooms were not fancy but they were clean. We were only there to shower and sleep. It was a great value specially with the location!

• Stayed: March 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (4,296)

Reviewed March 11, 2013

...In every possible way. Location: next to a gentleman's club. Not safe. They have a "guard" who never even checks hotel keys of people walking in. Room: where to begin. Stained sheets, exposed wires, mold in the fridge, grime everywhere, walls so thin I could hear the elevator coming from floors away, smelled disgusting, no hot water for shower. Not to mention the room hadn't even been cleaned from the previous tenant when they let us go in. No phone, soap was so old it crumbled when I opened the package, and the shampoo was half used. Staff: only interaction was two different people saying "what do you want" to me when when I checked in, then checked out. I can't believe the place has not been shut down for health reasons. Contacted numerous people about the terrible stay asking for a refund or some kind of compensation - no luck so far.

Room Tip: Don't use the convenience store downstairs. Make sure you are aware of your surroundings when en...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank R C
Reviewed March 4, 2013

It was very traumatic the experience at this hotel. It looked like a horror movie. Room dirty, sheets with stains and smelled really bad. Ar conditioning making loud noise.
My sister called the front desk to ask for clean sheets and they were extremely rude, hang up the phone on her. Later on, a very scary guy that looked like an UFC fighter just knocked on her door and threw the sheets on her. It was the most disrespectful experience ever. For the price, we couldn't complain that much. If you plan not spend money, stay there. Just bring extra sheets for your room and be prepared.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel for a decent room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank DeborahFerragini
Reviewed March 3, 2013

This hotel has a perfect location at Times Square in 43 st. Is not a luxury hotel but just for stay at nights and make tourism at Manhattan it's ok. The first night when we get at the room it doesn't has light but the hotel offer us a better room quickly. The only problem with the new room was that the heater does't work very good.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Imeth P
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Woke up to a roach in the morning. Started looking around and found 2 more roaches the size of my thumb in my room in 15 min. Went to the front desk and changed rooms and insisted they spray the new room before we entered. Packed all my stuff and went to the new room. Then the room key doesn't work so I try to go back to my old room and that key doesn't work either. Go downstairs again and get in the room finally. After being completely skieved out I go to take a shower. Guess what no hot water. Do not stay here!

• Stayed: March 2013
7  Thank Sublimedove80
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Hotel Carter is definitely an average hotel. If you are high maintanance, fufu, or just plain out picky... stay away. But if you are humble, and dont need much, then this is the place for you. My sister and I stayed here because it was the only hotel available at last minute, and we decided to give it a shot. We were pleasantly surprised! The doorman was sweet, the concierge was very helpful, hotel was clean, and I loved that the elevator was VERY FAST! We stayed on the 11th floor, and from the lobby we got easily to our room in less than 30 seconds!! Crazy! Prepare to bring cash to purchase water or snacks in the vending machine in the lobby, very inexpensive. Our room was perfect for us. Our room was clean, the bathroom was clean too, and the bed was super comfy. Housekeeping came and tending to our room as well.. restocked our towels and soaps, etc. I also went to the lobby and got more pillows, without any problem. The best part?? IT IS IN TIME SQUARE!!!!! Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Danita V
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Let's face it. The hotel is old and only has cosmetic updates to it. But you can't get this close to Times Square for the price. Our room had a huge king size bed. The sheets were clean, no bugs. For some reason the closet was almost as big as the bathroom. The headboard looked new while the night table was old with no handle. The bathroom was clean except for the rust around the drain in the tub. The air conditioner worked poorly but it was September so the temperature outside was great. The front desk staff were average and the guy handling the luggage storage was very friendly. The elevators were fast moving. Had to go to the end of the block to find a cab. Stay here if you travel on the cheap or with some friends. I might not stay here if I had young children.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple