“Be Prepared”
Review of Hotel Carter

Hotel Carter
Ranked #413 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Attn Boy Scouts: Be prepared when visiting the Carter. If you are, you'll survive. The room was clean and bug-free (as far as we could tell). The halls were well lit and the doors had strong locks. Now the negatives. Everything was old. Repairs had been done only when needed to meet safety codes. Our sink was cracked, the tile in the bathroom was cut to go around existing appliances. The mattress was old (but sleepable).

One more good thing. It cost us $128/night in early September. For comparison, the 4-star hotel just "West" of the Carter has the cheapest room listed at $399/night.

We discovered that the Times Square area was not so great (it reminds us of Hollywood Blvd. in Los Angeles), but if you need to be here and can put up with "old", it's worth it.

My wife and I stayed for two nights on the way back from a two week trip around England and just needed a clean bed at a price that didn't seem out of line. The shock of the condition of everything was like a slap in the face saying, "Get over it. You'll survive." And we did. And, though you might not be able to tell, we would go back if we had to be in Times Square. But we'd be prepared.

I suspect it's a well kept secret because no one wants to admit having stayed here. (This doesn't show my real name, does it????)

Room Tip: I doubt if there are any rooms with views. Ours had two windows that opened to show nothing but the...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tomslyck
There are newer reviews for Hotel Carter

Reviewed September 26, 2012

This hotel is all about location at an afordable price. After reading the reviews, we weren't expecting much. We requested a renovated room & got it. I use the word renovated loosely. It was updated & things were new.. but not much went into it. The new carpent was simply cut & glued down.. nothing fancy. Since we were only there to sleep & shower, this was not a problem. The room was clean & that's all that mattered. The staff was friendly, and gave us extra towels & pillows when we asked. Being not even a block off Times-Square, it doesn't get any better for the price.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank miatree
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We chose the Carter Hotel because of its execellent position and the good price. I must say that I'm ok with old hotels and I don't really need a renewd lodging, but what I hated in Carter it's that the organization looks totally careless about guests comfort. In the room I had 2 king size beds but no space to move, a broken chest of drawers and no coat hangers in the closet. Towels were not replaced: I had to ask for them (and sometimes they were washed, but not cleaned) ... the last day of my staying I found plenty of towels, when I didn't need them any more. I also had to ask for soap and toilet paper at the reception. No problem with mildew in the bathroom, or dust on the preistoric air conditioner, or stains on the moquette, or inconsistent window frames, but smell could had been easily reduced with spray, as well as the mini-flies nest in the sink.
I think even tourists deserve a little bit more.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Elisa1412
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I was weary after reading all the reviews, and based on my experience found:

Pros
- Location is excellent
- Room didn't seem TOO disgusting
-No bugs or rats

Cons
- Had to hold my breath and run through the halls because of the disgusting smell
- Room smelled disgustingly like cigarette
- Bedsheets are like tissue paper
-Various hairs from previous guests

I've travelled in hotels from almost-hostels to the Ritz Carlton. Any cheap motel is better than this. If you can stomach it, it's worth what you save, but be warned: it is pretty terrible.

Room Tip: Ask for the renovated rooms. I did and I cannot FATHOM what the non-renovated rooms might look like...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank moniquitachula
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Our room here was a mess! Old, stained carpet laid on top of older carpet, rubbish all through the room and under the beds, broken shower, I could go on! We definitely did not have one of the "rennovated" rooms
The only good feature is its location.

Room Tip: Ask for a rennovated one?
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank SnowAussie
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I visited the hotel en of august, and I must say I had very low expectations due to the reviews on the net, but the hotel had the best price, US$100 per night and very close to Times Square.
No worries at all. Please do not worry about thr bad reviews. I was there for 4 nights and the hotel was great.
Best location ever, half block from Hard Rock Cafe, walking distance from Times Square.
Yes, the room was very small as well as the bathroom, but it was very clean and the housekkeping was there daily.

In one of the reviews someone was mentioning angents club next to the hotel, if you don't pay attention you will not even notice.

Leaving the hotel, turn left and left again, after the Westin, across the road, there is a Phamacy/Grocery open 24hs with everything you might need.
Just across the road to your right there is a nice and cheap Italian restaurant. I paid a pizza dinner for 3 just over $30. Not bad at all for NYC.

Staff was polite and helpfull. There is wifi on the rooms at a reasonable price.

Let's face it, if you are going to NY you are not planning to spend time in the hotel room, you want to be out in the city and the Carter Hotel is perfect for it. Nice place for spending the night, shower and get ready for next day.

I was there with my family and we all enjoyed. Again, the room is very small, but that's fine. It was very clean.

If you are looking for a good value for money, you won't fine anything better than this.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Alex C
Reviewed September 19, 2012

When researching hotels for my recent trip to NYC, I read all the negative reviews on this hotel and was very leery of booking. But our budget won the day. When we checked in, we requested and were given a renovated room. Yes, the renovation consisted of new carpet, paint & tv. And yes the A/C unit was old and a little noisy, but it worked! There are no frills at this hotel, but the staff was helpful and friendly and the beds were clean. Do bring your own washcloths as they do not provide them, but they were generous with the towels and extra pillows when asked. Out of our 3 night stay, house keeping did only come one time, but as we were only in our room to shower and sleep, this was not a problem. All in all, the hotel is old and does show its age. If you are going to NYC for a laid back, luxury & spa trip, this is not the hotel for you. But if, like us, you are going to NYC for all it has to offer and are going to be running around, this is definitely a budget friendly option. I would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012