“Next To Time Square - Great For Backpackers - Cheap $$”
Review of Hotel Carter

Hotel Carter
Ranked #413 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Los Angeles, California
“Next To Time Square - Great For Backpackers - Cheap $$”
Reviewed June 19, 2012

This is an interesting location. It is not your typical 5 star- 4 star but in between a 2-3 star hotel. The hotel is pretty old.. Coul dwork on remodeling but i guess the hole idea is to keep it a s affordable as possible. This location has private baths and OK beds. THis is pretty much close to a Hostel but with some privacy. I woul drecommend this to people that want to save a lot of money. We all know that NYC can be extremely pricey even for a 3 star holiday in.. Running for a minimum of $300- $400 a night. I wont recommend this for Families or Business traveloers, butmore for adventurous couples and group of friends that are just looking for a place to stay. As my friends say.. Aplace to Sleep and Shower. This is the place.

Room Tip: Stay away from the Store next to the lobby. THe guy there is not nice at ALL!!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank 880imvip

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
UK
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Ok it has to be said that this isn't quite the old style glamour of Broadway I had pictured, but I knew that before I arrived. Think posher hostel rather than hotel and you will not have a coronary when you arrive. The location, as mentioned, is amazing and you can't argue otherwise and this is what you are paying for. Reception were quick and efficient and the lobby has internet and a desk available for booking tours etc. They charge $2 a bag if you want to leave it there on check-out day and be bag free before returning to the airport.
The room was pretty dull and a little grubby, we ignored the towel hanging up in the clothes cupboard, the cracks in the sink, the dust and general lack of 5* appeal - we did however have a giggle about it, got over it and enjoyed our stay....the bottle of wine helped. The bed was ok, sheets clean and air-con worked. If you accept that you do honestly pay for what you get in a city that is not cheap, you cannot go wrong. If you are fussy or want the high end treatment, then this isn't the sort of place for you. We went wanting a place to sleep, not a spa, geyt out and enjoy this amazing city. If you do it right, you will be so knackered in the evening, you won't care where you sleep and suddenly that room seems like a haven.

Room Tip: Avoid room next to the lifts.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank proseUK
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 13, 2012

We stayed 3 nights in this hotel,last week end. Our room was very small as we had the stair well in the corner. The sink was cracked and was falling off the wall.There was someone's underwear in the corner that the cleaners hadn't removed. There was a bundle of wires on the floor from the air con and TV. We had read the other reviews so was a bit prepaired. Our bed sheets were clean but very tatty. There was nothing in our room except our two beds and and 2 night stands, one with the TV on. not even a lamp. Fourtunatly we did not spend any time in the room except to sleep. We used the shower, but I was worried all the time. The only thing going for this hotel is the fantastic location, for the price. Even though this place is a real dump, they can still fill the rooms because of the price. Don't think I would ever return though.

Room Tip: don't go for room 400, very small.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Madgeontour

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

St. Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 12, 2012

A group of 12 of us were staying in NYC for the weekend and we wanted somewhere cheap and central to stay. The Hotel Carter is literally one minute from Times Square, the heart of New York with ridiculously good transport links. One of our allocated rooms was fine - clean and sorted - but the other was disgustingly dirty. I went to reception and complained. Turns out, they have been renovating the hotel from bottom up - so the top floors are the least pleasant. The manager listened to my concerns and offered us a room change, to the same floor but a nicer and much bigger room with a huge bathroom and views of Times Square, at no extra charge, which we were very pleased with. No, it's not the most comfortable hotel in the world but if you're in NYC on a budget then it is great value.

Room Tip: Lower floors - the top floors have not been renovated.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank 20katie
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed June 11, 2012

This place is awful. I read the reviews before I went there and thought "surely it can't be that bad" - it's actually worse. I'm covered in bed bug bites. The sheets, while washed, had red/brown stains on them, as did the towels. The water was never hotter than lukewarm. How this place has not been closed down is beyond me.

Room Tip: Just don't go there.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
10 Thank Claire H
South Windsor, Connecticut
Reviewed June 11, 2012

As I was told by a customer service representative (and I quote):

"We are a budget hotel. Don't expect a Hilton service from us."

Enough said!!

Room Tip: Pick another hotel
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
7 Thank SeanD213
Brewster, New York
Reviewed June 10, 2012

I had seen many reviews for this hotel. All said that it was pretty bad, but many said that it was okay as long as you were just looking for a place to sleep in a good location. I figured I would give it shot. I'm telling you that it really isn't worth it.

When I first got there I was placed in a room that literally had mold on the walls. It was so bad that the sheetrock was actually deteriorating. When I looked in the bathroom, tile was missing from the walls and ceiling. In its place was just blackness from mold. I asked to be switched into a different room and the clerk who had previously check me in, laughed at me. The second room wasn't much better. It still had the moldy smell and I'm pretty sure that the mold is there, but painted over. The shower curtain in the new room had mold on it and the sheets were stained and ripped. Honestly do not stay here. It is not worth it at all.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends