“Beautiful Hotel”

The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel
Ranked #298 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed January 22, 2007

Stayed here for 4 nights and really enjoyed it - staff were friendly and the rooms were lovely...had a real charm old school feeling. Don't be put off by the negative reviews here....we really did not have anything to complain about, it was great

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank kemi77

Reviewed December 19, 2006

If you love the "Thin Man" movies of the 1930s, you'll love the Carlyle. It opened in 1930 as a fabulous uppercrust residential hotel (much like the one where the fictional Nick and Nora lived) and still retains a lot of the original atmosphere.

This is probably the only hotel left in NYC that still has elevator operators. The service is outstanding and friendly. Bemelman's Bar is a not-to-be-missed experience for anyone who likes classic places. You can sit and watch a lot of fascinating people while you drink your admittedly expensive but excellent cocktails, enjoy the delicious (free) bar snacks and listen to a live pianist playing jazz standards.

If you can afford it, get a suite here, as we did (for $805 per night including daily room service breakfast, which wasn't much more than we'd have paid for a standard room at other high-end NYC hotels that weekend). The suites really give you a vintage residental feeling. They are very spacious and nicely decorated in an old money, slightly shabby chic way, with hardwood floors, antique furniture and carpets. The beds are extremely comfortable. It's a bit like staying at a rich aunt's house.

Our suite had a tiny kitchenette in addition to the 1 1/2 baths. (I couldn't help but think of Nora "offering" to make scrambled eggs -- watch the movies and you'll get the joke.) It is true that the "master" bath in our suite was tiny, because the hotel is over 75 years old and they've kept the original architectural footprint. It didn't bother us, since the bathroom was in excellent shape and had been updated with stone tile and a jetted tub.

The hotel restaurant is very good and the "Ladies Who Lunch" special 2-course menu offered on weekdays is a value at $24. I recommend the carrot-ginger soup and the salmon with black lentils - yum.

If you have a strong preference for everything brand-new and shiny, this is not the place for you. If you need a huge spa-like bathroom, look elsewhere. Looking for a trendy bar? Not here.

However, if you'd like a taste of a more genteel (but not stuffy) era, you can't find much better than the Carlyle.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank free101girl
Reviewed December 19, 2006

As of December 2006, the hotel is under construction, but the hotel doesn't bother to mention this when you book the room. The first morning, we awoke to jack-hammers and electric drills (one sounded like an airplane engine being tested!). We were moved to a 'quieter' room but awoke the second morning to jack-hammers and drills. When we complained a third time, we were asked to leave the hotel at 1:00 a.m.! Beyond the construction cover-up, the level of service is simply unacceptable for a hotel charing over $600 a night. The shower door wasn't sealed at the bottom, so each shower flooded the tiny bathroom with an inch of water. But, on arrival, there was no bathmat, which might have helped avert the flooding. The Kiehl amenities provided by the hotel were mostly missing when we arrived. The staff supplied them later, but when we partially used the bottles, we discovered that, rather than providing new bottles the staff simply tops them up with tap water! The bathrobes provided were tattered and frayed. The Internet connector cable was broken. Room service is dreadfully slow. The concierge's telephone line is always busy. The doormen were basically missing in action every time we wanted help hailing a taxi (we knew the doormen were around one evening because, unlike before, they had turned on the outside overhead heaters for themselves - not for guests!). The final insult was when we moved rooms: The staff stole from our luggage the box of complimentary chocolates provided by the hotel! Overall, the most dreadful hotel experience we have ever had.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
16  Thank stewartsdad
Reviewed November 29, 2006

The Carlyle is a classic. And for my girlfriend's 26th birthday celebration, it was mostly a pleasure as a home base. However, I must submit the following facts: our bathroom (room 409) was small and the distance between toilet and shower was uncomfortably minimal; the shower door wasn't properly sealed and there were leaks. Also, at 7 am after a long and happy night, our doorbell rang. We hadn't ordered or pre-ordered breakfast and there was a PRIVACY sign hanging from the door knob. Nonetheless, my beautiful girlfriend had to put on a robe and confront a phantom room service attendant who, having erred, scurried away. It is bad to be picky about such a fine hotel, but as its fineness is so contingent on the perfection of little things, I have no choice but to mention the above. To be fair: the bed and bedding and room were all comfortable, tasteful and truly Ost. I will return to this hotel, but as it is a standard bearer, I will always give it a hard time. It has earned this scrutiny.

Stayed: November 2006
6  Thank I1240DMdanielr
Reviewed August 26, 2006

My husband and I decided to stay at the Carlyle and endulge in a luxurious weekend on the Upper East side. We met up with some friends that live near the hotel and my girlfriend and I decided to browse and shop at the fashionable and excellent Madison Avenue boutiques and dined at Nello's on Madison Avenue. We returned to the hotel and to our amazement in the lobby there stood Warren Beatty, Annette Benning and their children chating with Jack Nicholsen. In all my years of traveling have I ever come across that level of celebrity in a hotel all in one place. The Carlyle is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in, the premier room that we booked is more like a suite in a home, rather than a hotel. I got one of the best nights sleep as the bed engulfs you with beautiful linens and comfort. I have to find out who they use as a florist, as the lobby and restaurant had the most breathtaking floral arrangements that I've ever seen. The lobby in the evening takes on a mystical and magical feeling with the soft lighting on the flowers, oil paintings and beautiful chandeliers. Before we went out for dinner we decided to have a drink at Bemelmans bar - I wish our children was with us as I've been reading Madeline books to our little girl and she would have been very excited to see the drawings on the wall of Madelines journies through Central Park and her adventures with her schoolmates. The next time we book a weekend in New York we will be sure to bring back our children so that we can enlighten them on the museums and culture that this property surrounds you with. The Carlyle will definitely be my only choice when booking New York City as the entire weekend was hassle free and we got the best pampering ever. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
12  Thank candlewood300
Reviewed August 24, 2006

What a great hotel! What a great experience! I have always heard the "legend of the Carlyle" but did not expend to fall under it's spell while I was there. I travel ALOT so I have seen it all! The lobby was beautiful! I arrived at night and there were candles lit. It looked so beautiful against the black marble, with the crystal chandelier and the silver theme throughout! I was stunned! The front desk staff was very friendly and welcoming. Knowing I had a long trip and must be tired and hungry they offered to have room service sent up. Telling the kind staff that I was just too tired they asked if i needed a wake up call, or perhaps coffee sent up at a particular time in the morning! Oh wouldn't that be perfect! I admit I have become addicted to my programable coffee maker! Visiting how tired I am at this point, they quckly checked me in and explained the hotel's key points, and rang for a bellman! RANG! An actual bell! How, I want to say quaint, but that sounds negative, it was just pleasantly unique! The bellman (whom I learned later in my stay has worked there for decades!) escorted me up and shared a few more stories about the hotels history, he got me all situated in my room and wished me a sound sleep! The whole process from the doorman with umbrella to shield me from the wrath of mother nature to there luxurious linens in front of the flat screen plasma TV wil about 2000 channels, took about a cool 5 minutes! That was it! I have fallen under their spell!

The dream continued through the rest of the stay!

My wakeup call in the morning with a friendly voice telling me of the days weather, and my coffee quickly followed. Thank god! As I thought about the days ahead I stopped at the concierge for suggestions. We talked about some shows and restaurants that would be great. I went to the marvelous breakfast buffet (try the cheeses!) and the staff again was mighty attentive! I went to walk in central park, i could not believe it was right there! On my out, the concierge had seen me and mentioned that the tickets and restaurant reservations were all set!

Everything just fell into place. That is until the night before I was checking out. I realized I had forgotten all my chargers. My cell phone was already dead and my IPOD was hanging on for dear life! I called the front desk to see if perchance one of the staff had my same phone and happened to bring their charger along to work. I was in luck! They have a varied supply! Now to solve the IPOD issue. My biggest nightmare, and 8 hours of a airtime, borken up only by a four hour layover, with no tunes!!! Then as I'm about to hang up the phone I give it a shot and ask the agent on the phone if they have a charger. The voice on the other end mentions that there is an IPOD docking station in the room. REALY? Then I see that on the other side of the giant bed (which I need to get me one for home, its heaven!) there IS a docking station on the end table! So I hooked up my NANO, hit play and listend to the tunes while I solemly packed for my departure from this haven in the city!

I miss the Carlyle, the staff and FOOD already! I was there for such a short time, but I felt as if I have been going there my entire life. By the time I left, the staff recognized my by name and wished me a "safe journey!"

I can not wait to HAVE to go back to NY. Because I will HAVE to stay at the Carlyle again!

See you soon, CARLYLE!!! (Boy am I long winded!!)

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled on business
9  Thank dingo2
Reviewed August 14, 2006

My In Laws visited the city for the weekend from Venezuela and were thrilled by the staff and personal service at The Carlyle.
They said it felt like home and were able to get a copy of their Venezuelan newspaper every morning. The bartenders knew their drinks and the elevator operators knew their floor after a few hours.

2  Thank Cucho