“Carlyle Style” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel

You added The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel to your Saves list
The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   35 E 76th St, New York City, NY 10021-1827 (Upper East Side)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Complimentary 3rd Night
Ranked #243 of 478 Hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“Carlyle Style”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I've been to many hotels in New York. But this is the best.

Discreet, stylish and elegant. It's obvious to see why this hotel is favoured by celebrities.

The meticulous attention to detail is astounding. From the welcoming chocolates and champagne to celebrate our anniversary, to our beautiful room, we were treated like royalty.

But the best thing about the Carlyle is the people who work there. All its staff are wonderful. But its concierge is the best I have experienced at any hotel. Waldo and Dwight, take a bow.

One bad thing about our stay is knowing that every other hotel I'll go to in the future, won't match the standards of the Carlyle.

• 5 of 5 stars
Giovanni_Beretta, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2014
Your kind comments have left me at a loss for words. Our staff prides itself on extending only the highest levels of service and hospitality. Therefore, I take great pride in sharing your comments with them, especially with our concierge.

Thank you for your support and I can only hope that we will be able to welcome you back to The Carlyle in the not so distant future.

Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Hotel is outdated, dirty carpets,motel furnishings,unattentive staff,rooms smell old and musty,dirty curtains,creaky floor boards,furniture look like they came from thrift stores headboard was very dirty and i took a picture,tiny bathrooms .Waited in the bar for a drink 20minutes,waiter forgot what we ordered came back after 20min.This is not a 5 star hotel,Hardly ever a doorman in attendance.Unless you shell out $800 and up in a Tower room, it is a dump,compared to the Pierre for the same price room were we usually stay,do not recommend

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
      Cleanliness
    • 3 of 5 stars
6 Thank mlminteriors
Giovanni_Beretta, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I can only hope you will accept my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences and disappointments you experienced during your stay from the overall condition of your accommodation to the slow and forgetful service you received at the bar. It is simply inexcusable and I have reviewed your comments with our team who are addressing the issues.

We would be honored to speak with you more in-depth regarding your stay. You may ask for my office directly or reach out to our Director of Operations, Massimiliano Puglisi, at (212) 570-7163 or massimiliano.puglisi@rosewoodhotels.com.

(212) 570-7187
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

My wife and i spent a night last week in New York and returned to the Carlyle after a twenty-year hiatus. We were very happy that we did so. The staff was warm and welcoming and its small size make it a very comfortable home-away-from home. The public spaces are beautiful as always, but our room showed its age and our bathroom was tiny. We will definitely not wait twenty more years to come back.

Room Tip: We were upgraded to a suite which was helpful as we had children stop by for a visit.
1 Thank DK1960
Giovanni_Beretta, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2014
From our family to yours, I would like to welcome you back to The Carlyle! It was a pleasure having you with us and I hope we will be able to welcome you back in the not so distant future.

Camp Sherman, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

My wife and daughter are staying at The Carlyle this week in anticipation of my 17 year old daughter participating in some professional theatre training next week and moving to NYC next month to attend a dance conservatory. I wanted to make their arrival special, so I called The Carlyle's concierge asking if he could assist me in having chocolate covered strawberries (their favorite) delivered to their room, thinking that he could help me arrange a delivery from a nearby confectioner. The concierge, instead, suggested that their room sevice department could possibly do what I wanted and connected me with Kimberly (I wish I had asked for her last name so I could write my thanks to her directly) in the Room Service Department. KImberly said that she thought the pastry chef would be able to do what I wanted. She was so patient with me, took my dictation for a note that I wanted to accompany the berries, and even advised me that she would ask the pastry chef to try to create a "ballet theme" to the strawberries...

Well, Kimberly and the pastry chef outdid themselves!!! My daughter immediately emailed a photo (and, of course, posted it on social media) of an incredibly creative and delectable presentation of a dozen assorted chocolate covered strawberries set against a chocolate sillouetted backdrop of a ballet dancer. I have posted the photo here. The creation was a big hit with my wife and daughter and on social media.

Thank you, Carlyle staff, for your time, thoughtfulness and creativity in making something so simply special.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
      Cleanliness
3 Thank JackBriscoe
I would like to thank you for the kind words expressed in your review. Your comments have filled me immense pride and I have shared them with Kimberly as well. She was just as pleased as I was to receive such complimentary words knowing she helped make your wife and daughter’s stay with us memorable.

We wish your daughter all the best on her move to the Big Apple!

Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

For my first visit to New York City is was hard to make a decision on a hotel. After reviewing all the Hotel ratings and comments I settled on The Carlyle Hotel. I was excited about the visit and was all set to go. Once I arrived I was greeted and the staff was right on top of things. They were interested in our visit and gave us details on what to expect. One expectation that they set was that the Dining area was being services and would not be accessible during the weekend. They did make us aware that room service was available and the Bar would be open. We were now off to start our New York City visit for this special wedding anniversary - "which a mentioned to the staff once I arrived." Off to our room which was UPGRADED by the Management staff just because. As we started to make plans for a quick lunch... we started out of our room. As we made it to the elevator we ran into room service with a 'cart'. Me noticing my last name on the card, I stopped him and said is that for our room. He stated YES!...what a surprise from MR. BEAR and the staff at the Carlyle. 5 Large Chocolate Covered Strawberries, Chocolate Cake and a bottle of champagne. Thanks Bear and the Carlyle staff for a great visit.

Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 stars
I speak for the entire staff when I say thank you for staying with us during such a special time, like your wedding anniversary. We are honored that we could be part of it and we look forward to back in the not so distant future.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

The AC was not working so at 2am on our delayed arrival we got a suite on the 31 floor with views over Central Park back to Australia
We went back to our dog box suite the next day
The position is great , the bathrooms are tiny and we won't go back
The teacups were not replaced till we asked
Even has lift car operators
Had a spa treatment and they put on a tip and charge a fortune for phone calls
Also did not follow up a rebooking request POOR form

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
I am always filled with disappointment when I hear about the lack of service that someone, like yourself, has received. It is simply inexcusable and I hope you will accept my sincerest apologies. We constantly strive to provide guests with exceptional service and I deeply regret that we were not able to uphold that goal on this occasion.

If you would like to discuss the issue further, we would be honored to speak with you. You may ask for my office directly or reach out to our Director of Operations, Massimiliano Puglisi, at +212 570 7163 or massimiliano.puglisi@rosewoodhotels.com.

+1 212 570 7187
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Carlyle from July 12-14th. We had asked for an early check in, which would be available (if the room was free) which it was not. However, not a problem as they held our bags and we headed out for a walk in the park and some lunch. The front desk treated us perfectly and that shows me that they care about who they are serving. They called us to let us know our room was ready.

The room itself was large and we were "upgraded" to as room with a walk in shower. That was a nice touch. Sadly, the walk in did have some very visible mold or mildew which I did notify the housekeeping about the next day (some areas, not all). It was cleaned, but it was "still there" if you know what I mean. The shower walls need a good scrub. The bath amenities are excellent!!! Turn down service was also very nice as we did this once as we declined the next day due to just needing the room for us.

Great location! We did not go to any of the shops or restaurants in the Carlyle but they appeared very nice from what I saw.

The doormen are top notch and on the ball. Had a doorman go all the way up to Madison just to wave us down a taxi. The elevator operators are also very nice.

Back to the rooms. Bed was comfortable and the rooms were very quiet...a huge bonus.

On the carpet we did find a pill. It made my wife wonder how often they actually vacuum the room. Overall it was very nice and the Hotel continues to carry on the old school charm.

My wife and I would gladly stay again.

We were in room 1005 on the 10th floor.

• 5 of 5 stars
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and for staying with us. However, I hope you will accept my sincerest apologies for the issues you experienced within your accommodation. It is simply inexcusable.

If you would like to discuss your stay with us further, we would be honored to speak with you. You may ask for my office directly or reach out to our Director of Operations, Massimiliano Puglisi, at (212) 570-7163 or massimiliano.puglisi@rosewoodhotels.com.

(212) 570-7187