“A SUPERB UPPER EAST SIDE GEM” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel

The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel
Ranked #257 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Toronto, Canada
“A SUPERB UPPER EAST SIDE GEM”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2014

The carlyle is one of New York's legendary hotels. From the countless list of celebrities who stay here to Bellman's bar, everything seemed magical. We were in a superior room on the tenth floor facing Madison. Could see the park which was a real treat. Although these rooms have not recently been renovated (front desk used the word refurbished) the room was lovely with original hardwood floors throughout. A very nice touch for NYC. The bathroom is on the small side and does not have a separate bath and shower (most 5 star NY hotels do), but that didn't take away from the fabulous jet tub that was provided. Very large with great water pressure. Bellman's bar was a real treat. The drinks are a little pricey but taste great and you get to listen to some of the jazz great perform live. WHAT IS THERE NOT TO LOVE?? I will for sure stay at the Carlyle again next time I am in the city. I normally stay at the Mark across the street, but in my opinion The Carlyle stands out in regards to its history, service and grace.

• Stayed March 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Giovanni_Beretta, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
I would like to thank you for the kind words expressed in your review. Your comments have filled me with immense pride.

Our goal is to ensure our guests’ visits are the most pleasant and memorable. I have shared your review with our different departments as I know they will be just as pleased as I am to receive such complimentary words.

Thank you for allowing us to be your new “home away from home” while in New York and I look forward to welcoming you again.

Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Danbury, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

Do you want to experience New York City without all the hustle bustle 24/7? The Carlyle Rosewood hotel is in a residential area (Madison and 76th) It is stunning. The filet mignon at the restaurant is the best I have ever had. The service is outstanding. If you love history, this place is steeping in it. Jackie O used to have an apt. here. Ask for a tower room with floor to ceiling windows and views of central park. Julia Carey, the national sales director, showed me all of the different room types. All amazing! This is your hotel in New York. Quiet, peaceful dreams here.

Room Tip: ask for the tower!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your kind words. It filled me with immense pride to read your comments. It is great to know that someone has the same passion for this hotel as I do.

West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

Once we divested ourselves of an apartment in NYC, it was the best to just stay at the Carlyle where everything is lovely & works! Love going to NYC for a few days; stay there; be nearby most things I need; stay in the most comfortable, place, with all the services one could want. Agree the restaurant is high priced and last time the quality of the food had gone very down hill, but not the prices. However, there are many restaurants nearby in every price range and all are good in one way or another. Love just being able to walk to most places. Staff is most accommodating; rooms are elegant, quiet, just a peaceful place in the middle of a very busy city. Best for me whenever NYC is on my agenda!
Gail

Room Tip: Stayed many times in a variety of rooms, suites, etc...never a problem with noise at any time. I am...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I would like to thank you for the kind words expressed in your review. Your comments have filled me immense pride.

Our goal is to provide exceptional and attentive service to ensure our guests’ visit is the most pleasant and memorable. I have shared your review with our different departments and they were just as pleased as I was to receive such complimentary words.

Thank you for allowing us to be your “home away from home” while in New York and I look forward to welcoming in the not so distant future.

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

My sister and I stayed for two nights. While the renovated bathroom was small and not particularly luxurious, the room was a good size, with lots of storage space and nice furnishings. It was very quiet.
Breakfast is extremely expensive, but a very nice treat. For a tea lover, it was great to get good quality tea leaves in a proper pot. Service was very good. after breakfast we asked to see the famous bar with its murals by Bemelman (of the children's Madeleine books), and were given a private tour.
The atmosphere of this hotel is rather European - understated, not glitzy, but a very pleasant respite in such a busy city.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
On behalf of the entire hotel, I would like to thank you for staying with us on your recent trip to New York. I’m happy that we served as a pleasant respite for you and your sister during your trip to the city. I can only hope that we will see you both again on your next visit.

Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014

Every December we travel to NYC for a long weekend. For the last four years we have gone to the Café Carlyle for the Tyrell show and always lamented that we should stay at the hotel. We stayed this year at the Hotel and it was fantastic! The room was great and the service was top notch. Plus there is no better bar to hang out in than Bemelman's. The breakfast buffet was great. Very old school in the dining room. I would not suggest showing up for breakfast after taking a walk in casual/workout wear. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I would first like to thank you for your continued support of the Café Carlyle. I am also so excited that you not only were able to experience the hotel but that you had a wonderful your stay with us. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back this December on your next long weekend to New York.

Point Pleasant Beach, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014 via mobile

Love that they have elevator operators and doorman! Front desk is great and so is the maid service and room service! Only complaint-the service in the dining room and bar is awful. The waiters, waitresses, bar tenders just awful. Great rooms but eat somewhere else!

• Stayed December 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank gymtandrink
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I would like to extend my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you received in our food and beverage outlets. These issues are inexcusable and I have reviewed your comments with our entire food and beverage team.

If you would like to discuss the issue further, we would be honored to speak with you. You may ask for my office directly or reach out to our Director of Operations, Massimiliano Puglisi, at +212 570 7163 or massimiliano.puglisi@rosewoodhotels.com.

St. Catharines, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

Stayed for four nights for a long weekend. This hotel was exceptionally quiet. I never heard a peep from the hallways or any other rooms. Spacious rooms (for NYC) and clean, with lovely bathroom. I appreciated having a hotel away from the bustle of Times Square, but still within easily reachable distance. Loved that Central Park was literally steps away. Very good coffee available in the mornings. Disappointing that WiFi service was not included in the cost of the room. I felt slightly uncomfortable in this hotel lobby but can't put my finger on why.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Tiffany B
I very much agree with you regarding our location as it allows you to be able to step away from the hustle and bustle of the city and unwind while strolling through Central Park. Also, I would like to thank you for staying with us back in July and for your feedback regarding the pricing of our WiFi. Your opinion is essential to this hotel’s overall success.