“Good stay” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel
Ranked #258 of 467 Hotels in New York City
St. Catharines, Canada
“Good stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

Stayed for four nights for a long weekend. This hotel was exceptionally quiet. I never heard a peep from the hallways or any other rooms. Spacious rooms (for NYC) and clean, with lovely bathroom. I appreciated having a hotel away from the bustle of Times Square, but still within easily reachable distance. Loved that Central Park was literally steps away. Very good coffee available in the mornings. Disappointing that WiFi service was not included in the cost of the room. I felt slightly uncomfortable in this hotel lobby but can't put my finger on why.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Tiffany B
Giovanni_Beretta, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
I very much agree with you regarding our location as it allows you to be able to step away from the hustle and bustle of the city and unwind while strolling through Central Park. Also, I would like to thank you for staying with us back in July and for your feedback regarding the pricing of our WiFi. Your opinion is essential to this hotel’s overall success.

Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014

Second time we visited Carlyle and still nothing to complain about. It must be the absolut best hotel in NYC. Friendly staff, superb breakfast and wonderful bar. And of course Cafe Carlyle with Woody Allen playing jazz on mondays, don t miss it!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank HeleneSweden
We love welcoming back our guests and cannot begin to thank you for not only the kind words but for your support as well. We hope to see you again very soon.

Lima, Peru
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

A very classic hotel yet so updated,the bar with jazz music was owesome ...
Well located, good food, a place to come again...
The people who work there are very well trained, always in the look for your needs

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Giovanni_Beretta, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
I would like to sincerely thank you for the kind words and for staying with us back in October. It was a pleasure to welcome you to our hotel, and I hope we will be able to see you again on your next trip to New York.

Plantation, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

Simply, the best. This was our first stay at the Carlyle. Traveling to NYC about twice a year, we have stayed in about a dozen properties over the last fifteen years. Old faithfuls are the Waldorf-Astoria and the W. This is our new number one hotel in NYC!

Views of the city and park are phenomenal. The reception staff are top notch, kind, courteous, and friendly. The bar staff are also very attentive. Housekeeping is the most professional and attentive I have seen. Looks like management is at the top of their game, because this type of service does not just happen magically. Our thanks to the entire hotel staff and management!

The staff (we found out that many have been there for decades), and the location (Upper East Side, 76th and Madison) are super. However, what sets this property apart from the rest is the attention to EVERY small detail. With a long history we read about on line (Google it to find out more), this place has been the home to many presidents, royals, and celebrities. But even the commoner like me felt like royalty here. When you want to feel special, this is the place!

Before we left for our trip, we received an email asking us about some of our “preferences.” I almost did not fill it out, as so often you fill out these types of forms to find that the information is never really used to make the stay special. They actually DID use the response form to welcome us like royalty, with every little detail attended to.

When we checked-in, we were greeting with a lovely, friendly, professional who made us feel right at home. We inquired about spa treatments, but since we had not really planned ahead, I didn’t think we would have any luck, especially since we wanted massages for three people (all at, or near the same time). The front desk made a few calls and by the next morning, they had it all worked out and we all enjoyed massages at the super spa. A couples massage for us, and one for a friend.

Other things to do at the hotel include a piano bar that has artwork by the famous Children’s book illustrator and writer of the famous Madeline books, Ludwig Bemelmans. The bar is named after him. It seats about 100 and was alive with jazz Saturday night. There is also a café that has famous singers and entertainers, but check in advance. They were sold out for our weekend, as I did not know how much there was to do at this special hotel and did not plan ahead as I should have.

The lobby is nice and simple, and relatively small, with some high end shopping, a sitting area, plus a restaurant, the café, and the bar. The elevators are staffed 24 hours a day with uniformed elevator operators that keep a human eye on the security of the building. They are also equipped with cameras, but the human touch is a nice luxury from by-gone days and adds a level of security and safety, as they are very aware of who is coming and going, and seem to know the guests.

Now, on to the room. Our beautiful large room had a superb view, a desk, sitting area, large TV, huge window with magnificent views, a walk in closet with mini-bar, safe, and lots of hangers. The bed was fantastically comfy and we slept like babies. The bathroom had heated tiles, heated plus white towels, a bidet, a shower/jacuzzi, robes, and slipper that actually fit! The bath products are generous portions of Kiehl’s. They smell terrific and are super! We indulged in room service for breakfast because the view was so nice, we did not want to leave the room.

We were treated to outstanding surprises each night when we returned from dinner or shows, each very thoughtful, and special.

Our stay exceeded ALL Expectations. In two words, BEYOND OUTSTANDING!

Room Tip: Ask for a view. Higher floors are worth the money. : )
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kelton
On behalf of the entire Carlyle hotel staff, I would like to thank you for the kind words expressed. Upon reading your comments, I am filled with immense pride.

Our goal at The Carlyle is to provide exceptional service and to ensure every stay meets the expectations of our guests. I have shared your review with our various departments as I knew they would be just as pleased as I was to receive such complimentary words.

Thank you for allowing us to be your “home away from home” while in New York and I hope we will be able to welcome you again on your next trip to New York City.

Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

Our favorite hotel in one of the greatest cities on the planet. This hotel has got the charm of an old 5 star property. The concierges at this hotel are the best I have come across anywhere. We were stranded and late due to the storm, and they assisted us in some many ways during our three day stay. I have seen the same faces at the concierge-desk for years; I love it and a big thanks to the team. We had greater rooms, although only one of them was updated (they are nicer). The rooms are all different and have got character. The bar is cozy and provides ambience that stand out with fantastic drinks. They have a courtesy car that is available several hours a day; a nice touch! The location on upper-east is also great with lots of nearby restaurants and shopping as well as the proximity to the park where I jog every time I am there (the best park in the world). When all the rooms are renovated, you will not find a better 5 star boutique hotel anywhere in NYC!

Room Tip: Ask for renovated room in the tower - fantastic views!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Gudleiv
I was thrilled to learn that we are one of your favorite hotels in this great city. I shared your kind comments with our Concierge team, who I too believe are the best. I know they will be just as pleased as I am to receive such complimentary words.

Also, please allow me to thank you for your support through the years and I hope we will welcome you back in the near future.

New Orleans
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

Outstanding and discrete service with splendid attention to every detail. The gold standard by which great hotels should be measured. Elegant rooms. Superb food. Bemmelmans Bar is ideal spot to meet.The staff anticipate one's needs. Securing a stay in one of the unique suites in the upper floors is a real treat.

Room Tip: Try for a stay in one of the privately owned suites that are available when the owner is not in resi...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for staying with us on your recent trip to New York. I’m happy to hear about how much you enjoyed your stay with us from the elegant rooms and discreet service to the lively scene at Bemelmans Bar. It was a pleasure having you, and I hope we will be able to welcome you again soon.

Amagansett, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

We stayed at The Carlyle Hotel for my birthday weekend 12/28. Were upgraded through
American Express Platinum to a room in the tower on the 23rd fl. with a terrace overlooking
Downtown and the West Side. It was magnificient. We attended the late show at Cafe
Carlyle to see Steve Tyrell. Again, premium seats through AE Platinum. Steve performed
a song for me for my birthday and we were so close he held my hand. What a great
night. Breakfast the next day was great and we had late check out at 4pm. All in all
a memorable experience. This was our second time at The Carlyle and I highly recommend
it.

Room Tip: If you can either get a suite or the tower room on an upper floor with terrace.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Gansett
Giovanni_Beretta, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
I was delighted to hear about your stay in late December while celebrating your birthday weekend. I am thrilled that your experience with us, from the Café Carlyle to your accommodation, was a memorable one.

Thank you for staying with us and I look forward to welcoming you back.