“Great place to stay”

The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel
Ranked #295 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed September 10, 2013

This hotel is well located with a good access the park and shopping area. My wife and I were having a blast last weekend when we had our wedding anniversary there. The staff were friendly and help us out to make our stay the most enjoyable. I will definetly be back

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank PeterGwer
Giovanni_Beretta, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Thank you for staying with us during such a special time, your wedding anniversary. We are honored that we could be part it and we look forward to back in the not so distant future.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

Staying in New York at the Carlyle and couldn't be happier! The rooms are fantastic. Everyone who works there from the housekeeper to the elevator operator we the nicest people. The location is close to the park and in the middle of the best shopping in the world. I can't say enough great things about this hotel. I have not one negative thing to say. Stay here if you can!!!!!!

Room Tip: Room 1616 is very nice and quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank paris c

I speak for the entire staff when I say thank you for staying with us during your recent visit. I agree that we are situated in an ideal location for anyone wishing to be near Central Park and to experience great shopping along Madison Avenue. I hope we will see you again on your next trip to the Big Apple.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

The location is very nice, and only a few blocks to the 6 train for visiting other parts of the city.

Rooms are nice (bit dated - but more of a style preference for me) and bathroom was very large (2 twin bed room). Elevators are slow and cramped, but you get there.

We booked through Expedia and paid about a 1/3 of the regular rate. If I had to pay the full rate, I would probably go elsewhere. If I got the same rate, I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Twin rooms get a large bathroom. Another member of our party had King room and it was a typical smal...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank LarryJakes
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Great location. Our room was a good size. The entire hotel was clean and well maintained. Be sure and visit the bar. The paintings on the wall are fantastic. The pianist was very entertaining and friendly to the patrons. I have to mention the concierges Waldo and Sarah. They were both a great resource which you need in NYC. Waldo was super friendly and very informative. He was professional but treated us like friends. We would definitely return.

Room Tip: I asked for twin beds but a limited supply
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to New York City. I passed along your kind words to both Waldo and Sarah, who were just as pleased as I was to receive such complimentary comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Carlyle, your ‘home-away-from-home.’

Warmest regards,

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Please note that i don't normally complain,but this hotel left me compelled to put pen to paper.
We arrived and were greeted by the doorman who was nice enough,then we checked in,which was rather rushed with minimal information provided. We were escorted to our room by a really nice gentleman,but the only thing was he could barely carry our luggage and his English was limited.Out of two keys only one was working which he took and was never replaced, when we asked reception they said we should have asked for another key! Wifi is not free ( $14.95 per day) but is free in he lobby and business room- which was not relayed to us arrival.1st night sleep was atrocious as there road works outside and every time traffic pasted over the section it sounded like thunder- no need to complain as next night barriers had been erected to stop the traffic passing over it(begs the question though why this hadn't been done earlier).Second night looking through menu found a card stating that we're entitled to complimentary breakfast? When we enquired the receptionist apologised and stated this had been for the previous guest (barring in mind that the rooms are turned over twice a day hard to understand why card hard been left there),receptionist was happy to honour the complimentary breakfast for the duration of our stay but then her manger turned up an said no that we had booked with Expedia and were not entitled to it! We mentioned that check in had been poor regarding the info given, to which she stated that this was standard for a five star hotel not to provide free wifi,but totally dismissed the fact level of service given was lacking.She was willing to offer us one days breakfast,we turned up at breakfast and were asked " why are you here",then when escorted to the table we were asked if we were guest of the hotel? On leaving the restaurant we were presented a bill- the manager hadn't relayed that we had been offered a complimentary breakfast, the staff tried to deal issue with reception but they were busy so we were asked to liaise them-no doubt all standard of a five star hotel! All very embarrassing to say the least. Oh yes forgot to say you are given complimentary tea and coffee and muffins, but nowhere other than the lobby or your room to consume it, we found ourselves loitering in the lobby to access the free wifi while drinking our drink(was given the distinct air that this wasn't the done thing).
On checking out we were presented with a bill for the drinks at out complimentary breakfast, buy this time we weren't really surprised at all so we just paid and were glad to leave.
Though this is a beautiful and charming hotel I feel that the staff(middle management and above)may take this for granted, the hotel obviously caters for certain clientele, so if they are going to open up bookings via third parties such as Expedia then they must be will to accept those guest and treat them in the same way, there was a vast difference in service.Having stayed at other five star hotels in a number of cities unfortunately we didn't feel that the same standard of service was extended to us which some what marred our 1st experience of New York. In short by all means Stay here but don't expect any kind of honesty.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Nsh31073

Please allow me to extend to you my most sincere apologies for the many inconveniences you experienced during your stay, from the rushed check-in process to the confusion regarding breakfast. I have reviewed these issues with the appropriate departments and we are working on steps to prevent this from happening again.

We would be honored to speak with you further regarding your experience. You may ask for my office directly or reach out to our Director of Operations, Massimiliano Puglisi, at 212.570.7163 or massimiliano.puglisi@rosewoodhotels.com.

Warmest regards,
(212) 570-7187

Reviewed August 24, 2013

If you and your family seek a glitzy,flashy hotel with a noisy bar scene and an ostentatious clientele, this hotel isn't for you.

If, however, you've ever wondered where graciousness, sophistication, and attentiveness have gone in New York City, then you haven't stayed at the Carlyle Hotel. You will find all of that, and more, here in this upper east side gem.

This is a hotel for ladies and gentlemen, and their children. Here you will find a quiet, discreet check-in. Prompt and efficient room service. A housekeeping staff that genuinely takes pleasure in your pleasure. And it's all wrapped up in an ambiance that, when you come back to the hotel after a day's work or sightseeing, makes you feel like you are home again--safe, ensconced in your own private world with a staff that simply wants to look after you.

Ever wondered what Cafe Society was like in New York decades ago? A visit to Bemelman's Bar or the Cafe Carlylee will transport you back in time, and you will remember it, and want to experience it again, and again. You needn't go to London for a proper high tea; just wander over to the Gallery.

My strong suggestion: Check into the Carlyle and let the hotel and the staff do what they do best--treat you so well that you really don't want to leave.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

I would like to thank you for the kind words expressed in your review. Your comments have filled me immense pride.

Our goal is to provide exceptional and attentive service to ensure our guests’ visit is the most pleasant and memorable. I have shared your review with our different departments as I know they will be just as pleased as I am to receive such complimentary words.

Thank you for allowing us to be your “home away from home” while in New York and I look forward to welcoming in the not so distant future.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

It seems that others had trouble with the A/C, room booking, noise, and the service. We got the (im)perfect storm: all of these. This was not a bad experience for a nice hotel. This was a bad experience for any hotel. Too many great options in NYC to bother staying here.

When we arrived, we were welcomed with a room with two twin beds. My reservation (via hotels.com) explicitly said One King Bed. We were told we "were in luck" as there was a room with a King that was $100 more per night. Terrific?! I had a meeting I risked being late to so I decided to hold the discussion until checkout - I did not expect there would be so much to talk about then.

The $100/extra per night room was really....something else. They were doing heavy construction in the room next to us rendering the room off limits all day. After a day of work and meetings I was looking forward to a little rest and quiet. I stayed at the wrong hotel for that. Add in the mystery stains on the toilet and they were really on a roll.

We went to a show and decided to get a drink at the lobby bar before we checked in for the night. The first drink took 20 minutes to order. We got a wild hair and decided on a second drink....we went to wrong bar for that. After being ignored for 30 minutes we tracked someone down for the check.

All we wanted at that point was to sleep...we stayed at the wrong hotel for that. The A/C in our room was broken and the room was hot. A maintenance man came up and we mentioned all of the construction next door to help him diagnose the problem. He flippantly told my wife there was no construction next door - construction we had witnessed and heard throughout the day. Nothing like a lie and some attitude at 1145 in a hot hotel room. I wish I had a picture to post of the A/C unit they were going to put in our room to keep us in there. It looked like a vacuum cleaner from the 60s....sure it was a 5 star vacuum cleaner from the 60s though.

The A/C problem was irreparable but we were again told we "were in luck". A "comparable" room was available. At 1145 when all your guests want is a place to lie down, what on Earth difference does it make that we get Superior, Deluxe, Suite, etc? The replacement room was fine for the 7 hours we were there. If you're counting, that was three rooms we were moved around in less than 72 hours.

The next morning the front desk was very apologetic but lacked authority to do anything about it. They promised the manager would contact me. He did later that night and offered to give me the $200 back from the "upgrade" to King. Given we booked and paid for a King, this was not a concession but a requirement. He said he could really take care of me if I stayed there when I returned in December (something I'd mentioned to the front desk in passing). I requested that he look into our issues from this stay and try again.

I rarely review and rarely complain. This was a chance to show off for my wife and they blew it so I blew it. If anything worthwhile is done, I will update this review. If for some reason you've narrowed it down to the Carlyle and another place, I hope my experience is useful. I wish I'd read a few more reviews before I booked.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms next to construction with broken A/Cs If using a third party provider, call the hotel t...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple