“A beautiful hotel with a fantastic staff!”

The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel
Ranked #239 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Chicago
“A beautiful hotel with a fantastic staff!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

We do a yearly trip to celebrate our wedding anniversary and for the first time we brought our kids with us - they are 4.5 and 1.5 years old. The Carlyle is elegant, refined, and beautiful. We booked a deluxe suite which wasn't available so we were upgraded to a gorgeous premier suite. It was absolutely gorgeous but lacked a second bathroom (one of the reasons we got a suite in the first place) and so we were placed in a cheaper superior suite (and credited the difference).
It's hard to say what we loved the most - the hotel itself is beautiful, the location is absolutely fabulous, and the staff is wonderful. I think the latter edges out the other two, because the staff is really just terrific. Everyone from the bellmen to the front desk staff to the elevator operators to housekeeping was absolutely top notch. I was so impressed that they remembered us, our kids, and our needs from almost the moment we checked in. The suite was spacious for our party of two adults and two children, and everything was decorated so nicely. Beyond all of this, the location was great - quiet and yet close to so much. We had a car with us and even found street parking a few times.
I'd recommend this hotel to couples and families - we always felt welcome and well cared for. We are all trying to think of reasons to return to the Carlyle soon!

Room Tip: A few things to know if you are planning a trip that I would have liked to know going in: 1) if you...
1 Thank ssschgo
Giovanni_Beretta, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit to New York. I’m happy we were able to provide you with a wonderful anniversary weekend with the entire family. I have shared your kind comments to our entire staff. I know they will be just as pleased as I am to receive such complimentary words. We look forward to welcoming you in the near future.

Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

Often i go to the jazz bar. Its always great. Even if crowded the know me so they treat me well. Spent 20 k ther just this year! Got a suite and it was nice and suck luxury! Cost me 1000k that night but, did not care. It was worth it .

Room Tip: One bedroom suite the best!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
I’m so glad you enjoyed your stay in the suite and had such fun in the hotel. We look forward to seeing you again in Bemelmans Bar.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

We recently stayed at The carlyle for 1 night and then returned for 5 nights on a work incentive trip. The room we stayed in on the first night was very small, and the air conditioning was extremely noisy, very small bathroom, with no views other than looking into another building. It was located on the 12th floor. The beds were very comfortable. The second room we had was on the 22nd floor a gorgeous corner room with gorgeous views, large spacious room and spacious bathroom, although shower was over the bath. There are no tea and coffee making facilities, but there is a mini bar with some snacks and alcohol - expensive. Room service cup of tea was $36.00 !!!, we asked for an electric jug and cups to be delivered to our room so that we could make our own tea in the mornings !!! We found that for a hotel of this standard the bathroom amenities were not always replaced and on two occasions we had to phone down for out water which was supposed to be left at turn down, some days we got chocolates other times we didn't. The staff were very helpful, but quite stuffy, especially the white gloved lift attendants. The reception area lacked atmosphere. The hotel is located in the district with all designer shops. There is a small mini mart across the road if you want to buy any snacks. Close to Central Park. I think if we went back we would stay at The Plaza, which is more centrally located and still very elegant and grand but had more atmosphere.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have with views have quieter air conditioning. The cheapest rooms have the noisy airco...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Stoneyridge
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. I am glad you enjoyed your corner room in the tower but I was extremely disappointed to read about the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. Please accept my sincere apologies as we try to accommodate our guests to the best of our abilities, and I am saddened that we failed to do so on this occasion.

We would be honored to discuss these issues with you further if you would prefer – please feel free to reach out directly to myself at 212.570.7187 or via e-mail at giovanni.beretta@rosewoodhotels.com or you may contact our Director of Operations, Massimiliano Puglisi at 212.570.7163 or massimiliano.puglisi@rosewoodhotels.com.

Oslo, Norway
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

We made our reservation through Hotwire for 1 adult and 2 children (14 years old). It was in the reservation not possible to make a request on the type of bed for the guests. However, in the confirmation the following was stated:

"You are guaranteed the number of beds corresponding with the number of people in the reservation" (which has also been presented as a copy to the hotel).

So far so good! Upon arrival, we were informed that there was only one bed in the room, but they could offer a roll-out bed for an additional charge of USD 75 per night. Great message after a 16 hour journey!!

Of course I had to say yes to the roll-out bed - alternatively sleep on the floor!
After several discussions with the hotel, the presented solution is to give us the extra bed free for 1 night (!!) and offering to give me a written confirmation for the additional charge.

It may be so that the third party has overpromised or misinformed me - alternatively made an incorrect reservation towards the hotel. This is in my opinion beside the point. The Carlyle chooses to let a certain number of rooms to be booked through their cooperation partner (probably to have a certain level of guaranteed coverage), and takes absolutely no responsibility for the poor customer experience we are given. Obviously, for us as the guest, it is irrelevant who did what, incorrectly. And it goes without saying that the hotel could have gone the extra mile, if customer satisfaction was of importance - instead of referring to "the fine print".

For me this has been like flying Ryanair, where you are charged extra for every little piece of extra's - the only difference is that you actually expect that when flying with a lowfare airline and NOT from a hotel of Carlyle's supposed standards. It is also a surprise to me that The Carlyle chooses to cooperate with a dishonest third provider. In the corporate environment integrity is increasingly important - also when selecting third party providers for their business, but appearantly not for this hotel.

I travel a lot in my job, and fortunately I have never experienced something even close to this!

3 Thank Cathrine38
Giovanni_Beretta, Director of Operations at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
I am always extremely disappointed when issues arise with one of our guests during their stay. Our primary goal is to create memorable experiences that will last a lifetime; sadly this did not occur on this occasion and I am truly sorry.

I am familiar with the situation you experienced and I personally looked into the confirmation letters guests, like yourself, receive from third party booking sites. The companies have reassured me that all information, including additional fees guests may accrue, is stated in their letters.

I would feel honored if you would give me the opportunity to discuss the issue further at your earliest convenience. Please find my contact information below:
Telephone: (212) 570-7163
E-mail: massimiliano.puglisi@rosewoodhotels.com

Always at your service,
Massimiliano Puglisi
Director of Operations
Santa Barbara, CA USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

We stayed at the Carlyle for 5 nights during a Thanksgiving break. It's classically elegant, and old-fashioned feeling (a white gloved gentleman operates every elevator). And it is in one of the most perfect locations on the Upper East Side.

While I can't fault it for anything, we found it just wasn't a great fit for us - parents with a college aged daughter on her Thanksgiving break. It is a terrific example of the grand old New York hotels of the mid-20th century, but if you are looking for a place that has a little more warmth (from the room decor to the restaurant service), and personality, I think there are better places to stay. The Peninsula Hotel for one - though it lacks this wonderful Upper East Side location.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

The Carlyle is everything New York and more...absolutely AMAZING! We stayed at the Carlyle for 8 days during the 4th of July holiday. From the moment we checked in---wait, correction---from the moment we booked our trip to the wave good-bye, the service was top-notch. Every i was dotted, every t was crossed...detail!detail!detail! The room was immaculate, updated, and spacious for our family of four. Gorgeous bathrooms and plenty of closet space. In their entirety, the hotel staff upholds the reputation of the distinct Carlyle. The concierge team are in a class of their own (thanks Waldo!!), just like the hotel. We were able to take in the city without a hiccup or glitch. All our needs and wants were met with warmth and perfection.

Centrally located to museums, great shopping, delicious restaurants, Central Park, etc made the Carlyle the ideal hotel for us. We've been going to New York for the past ten years and haven't stayed at the same hotel twice. However, the Carlyle will definitely be our choice of accommodation again and again and again....

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Giovanni_Beretta, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit to New York with your family over the 4th of July holiday. I’m glad we were able to meet all of your needs. Our staff prides itself on extending only the highest levels of quality and service. In addition, our concierge was just as thrilled as I was to read your comments.

I speak for the entire hotel when I say; we look forward to having you with us again.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

My family and I just returned from our second stay at the Carlyle. Manhattan can be a hectic place, but walking through the doors at the Carlye gave me a sense of relaxation. From the conceirge to the housekeeping staff, the answer was "yes." The service at the hotel was second to none. The hotel brings a sense of elegance and style to probably one of the most elegant and stylish cities in the world. I used the gym each morning and also enjoyed the amenities at the spa. The best word to describe the hotel would be classy and we look forward to future stays.

1 Thank Larry K
I am delighted to hear about your most recent stay with us at The Carlyle and that we have been able to provide you with a sense of relaxation, allowing you to escape from the hustle and bustle of the city.

Thank you for allowing us to be your “home away from home” while in New York and I look forward to welcoming back.