“A Classy Classic”

Ranked #229 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
“A Classy Classic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

The Carlyle is everything New York and more...absolutely AMAZING! We stayed at the Carlyle for 8 days during the 4th of July holiday. From the moment we checked in---wait, correction---from the moment we booked our trip to the wave good-bye, the service was top-notch. Every i was dotted, every t was crossed...detail!detail!detail! The room was immaculate, updated, and spacious for our family of four. Gorgeous bathrooms and plenty of closet space. In their entirety, the hotel staff upholds the reputation of the distinct Carlyle. The concierge team are in a class of their own (thanks Waldo!!), just like the hotel. We were able to take in the city without a hiccup or glitch. All our needs and wants were met with warmth and perfection.

Centrally located to museums, great shopping, delicious restaurants, Central Park, etc made the Carlyle the ideal hotel for us. We've been going to New York for the past ten years and haven't stayed at the same hotel twice. However, the Carlyle will definitely be our choice of accommodation again and again and again....

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Giovanni_Beretta, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit to New York with your family over the 4th of July holiday. I’m glad we were able to meet all of your needs. Our staff prides itself on extending only the highest levels of quality and service. In addition, our concierge was just as thrilled as I was to read your comments.

I speak for the entire hotel when I say; we look forward to having you with us again.

Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

My family and I just returned from our second stay at the Carlyle. Manhattan can be a hectic place, but walking through the doors at the Carlye gave me a sense of relaxation. From the conceirge to the housekeeping staff, the answer was "yes." The service at the hotel was second to none. The hotel brings a sense of elegance and style to probably one of the most elegant and stylish cities in the world. I used the gym each morning and also enjoyed the amenities at the spa. The best word to describe the hotel would be classy and we look forward to future stays.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Larry K
I am delighted to hear about your most recent stay with us at The Carlyle and that we have been able to provide you with a sense of relaxation, allowing you to escape from the hustle and bustle of the city.

Thank you for allowing us to be your “home away from home” while in New York and I look forward to welcoming back.

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

I wanted to share what an amzaing experience we had this weekend at the Carlyle, If your looking to spend a romantic week-end without your kids, in a high end hotel with views of central park and shopping on 5th avenue this is the place, The Hotel was quiet, beautifully decorated with very attentive staff. The beds and pillows were super comfortable and the bathroom spotless and large. Bethany at reception was a darling, beautiful smile and went out of her way to help move our room to a higher floor with a view. Breakfast was a little pricey for the amount of food on the plate but it's to be expected in a 5 star. They have a car service that will drop you off at your favourite department store and the concierge is very savy. Fantastic property.

Room Tip: Ask them if they have a room in the deluxe tower floor 31 was spectacular!!!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Giovanni_Beretta, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit to New York. I’m happy we were able to provide you with a quiet and relaxing weekend away from the family. I will definitely be sharing your kind comments with both Bethany and our Concierge team. I know they will be just as pleased as I am to receive such complimentary words.

Montvale, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

The Carlyle Hotel has established a reputation for luxury and being first class. They certainly live up to the billing. From the moment you pull up to the entrance, everyone who works there understands what they need to do to make you stay pleasurable. From the bell man to the front desk to the elevator operator, they are all first rate. The rooms are not cheap, but you know you are in a historic hotel, who was built upon service and style while you are there. We will definitely be back.

1 Thank dearanij
I am thrilled to read that we have lived up to the billing as a luxurious, first class hotel for you. I speak for the entire hotel when I say; we look forward to having you with us again in hopefully the not so distant future.

Fort Myers Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

The Carlyle hotel met all of our high expectations. We also looked into the Surrey and The Mark in the Upper East End and choose the Carlyle based upon other reviews.

The Carlyle is old New York, classic and wonderful; whereas, the Mark was trendy. I'm so glad we made the right choice in The Carlyle.

Our room was immaculate on the 21st floor with an expansive terrace. Housekeeping serviced our room twice daily. The elevator operators were welcoming and added a wonderful feel for a classic hotel.

We had drinks in Bemelman's Bar and listened to a wonderful jazz trio. The hotel is in a wonderful location with easy access to the museums and shopping.

We will be returning.

Room Tip: High floors are best.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
I am so glad you chose The Carlyle for your recent stay. I agree that the Upper East Side is an ideal location for anyone wishing for access to Museum Mile and great shopping along Madison Avenue. Thank you for staying with us and I hope we will see you again on your next trip to New York.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

We were at the Carlyle for a one night stay prior to surgery at HSS.

We drove up to find a movie filming at one entrance of the hotel (Restaurant entrance). We were greeted warmly as we left our car at the hotel's main entrance and were ushered into the hotel's beautiful foyer. Staff could not have been kinder nor more welcoming.

I believe we were upgraded to a larger room that was more of a junior suite. The room faced a courtyard and was blissfully quiet. Bathroom was beautiful. Turndown was lovely with chocolates left bedside. Slippers were left by my side.

We decided to dine in the hotel. I had wanted to hear jazz but knew Cafe Carlyle required dressier clothing so we opted for the hotel bar that has nice jazz playing from 5:30 on. It also is quite a happening place and was a bit loud so we moved to a quieter room next door where we could enjoy the music and dine. Food was excellent and the best beer we've ever had.

We loved the attendants in the elevators and being greeted each time we used the elevator.

The hotel is pricey and I would say for a very special NYC visit - this is a first choice. (Especially for the upper East side.)

Room Tip: For peace and quiet, request a room facing the courtyard.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Giovanni_Beretta, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us on your most recent stay to New York. I am thrilled to hear about how much you enjoyed your stay, from the warm welcome you received upon arrival to your experiences in our food and beverage outlets. I will definitely be sharing your comments with our staff who I know will be just as delighted.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

I am not kidding with the title, I have seen personally Queens, Princes and other royals during my stay at The Carlyle! The last Queen I saw was the Queen of Denmark! The best of this Hotel is that they treated us with the same professional standards as the Queen of Denmark. If you like to feel pampered, important, greeted by your name, and you have very high standards, this Hotel is for you. The location is perfect! One block from Central Park and all the brands I like are right there at Madison Street. I enjoy sitting down in the afternoon, sipping a glass of Champagne served by the most Professional servers, friendly, polite and yet still with the formal service I enjoy, at The Gallery. I like to see all the interesting people walk in and walk out. The rooms are lovely decorated, all renovated with all the amenities needed. I like to call The Carlyle, my home away from home! Love it!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for allowing The Carlyle to be your “home away from home” during your trips to New York. I am delighted that we have been able to leave a positive and lasting impression on you during your stays with us and we look forward to seeing you again.