“Best in NYC”

Ranked #240 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Newport Beach, California
“Best in NYC”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Style, service, luxury, quiet, sophisticated, charm and elegant all come to mind after a stay at The Carlyle. Upper East side location close to Central Park enhance the stay even further. The bar is a delight.

Room Tip: Try a suite for a luxurious experience.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Buckinghamshire UK
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We chose The Carlyle for this short trip to New York as we'd heard about its gracious service and we like the location.

The service is on one level excellent - attentive, kind and gentle - very much of a bygone age. However some practices belong in the past and should be consigned to history. One of these is using lift attendants. As soon as you say what floor you want, the attendant turns and faces the wall as if they weren't there. I've heard of discretion but I found it rather uncomfortable - it just seems wrong nowadays to tell somebody else to press a floor button for you but in many ways the lift attendant at the Carlyle acts as a metaphor for the establishment. I do like very good service but I don't expect the person delivering the service to be submissive in any way and I found that some of the staff (not all!) were submissive - just wanting to blend in with the walls.

We had a two bedroomed suite which was well-appointed and adorned with fresh roses. One gripe was that our bathroom was tiny - one of those spaces where a kitten couldn't have been swung! My other criticism would be that it was a bit shabby. Many of the hallways and walls looked like they urgently needed a refurb.

We only ate room-service breakfasts at the hotel which were always perfect and delivered on time, so our experience of the catering was very positive.

So in summary yes it's a grande dame but I didn't really warm to the hotel and there were aspects which I wasn't that keen about, so I don't think I'd return here with so many other upper-end options in New York.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We have stayed at The Carlyle a few times a year for many years. All staff always acknowledge you, but it is not over the top, they make you feel as if you are at home. Sure, over the years, we have had a small issue or two, but they respond and fix, quickly and not so apologeticly that you don't need sugar the rest of the day. I like that. The service is not forced, it is genuine. The lobby is not filled with people, so if feels like YOUR hotel, not anyone who happens off the street. They are also very descrete, you will never know if a very public person is in the hotel, I like this as there is never a disturbance.
As our granddaughter says.....I LOVE IT!

Room Tip: There are many size rooms and layouts, inquiring with the front desk, to fit a room and price to you...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Concord, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 31, 2013

If crown molding feels like home you, you've come home at The Carlyle. A staff that's calm and self-possessed. Modest public areas and gracious guest rooms. Breakfast buffet heaped with smoked salmon, meats and cheeses, fruit cups, eggs and many breads. Orange juice that you know was squeezed within the hour.

Room Tip: Look for the special packages. The three-nights-for-the-price-of-two option is often available, but...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AlecWalker
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

Really excellent and attentive service, fantastic phone operators, beautiful room. But!!! To tell that the air-conditioner is noisy it's to tell nothing! To fall asleep I have to use earplugs o turn it off. Thanks God, we're very tired every evening and the other family members don't suffer. One more thing - the breakfast for three of us costed next to 200 USD, it seems to me overpriced. Today we tried Cafe' Boulud, same street, on the corner, a Michelin star, half of the Carlyle breakfast + with tips included, and for a European it's rather imbarassing to calculate every time the tips amount, I understand the tradition, but still...

Stayed March 2013
Adrian_Norbury, Director of Sales at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for your comments and I'm sorry to hear you had issues with your air conditioning. If you could let me know what room you were in I will happily have engineering check the system out.

Many thanks

Adrian Norbury
adrian.norbury@rosewoodhotels.com
Reviewed March 25, 2013

A gorgeous hotel, the staff was extremely professional and friendly and welcoming at the same time. The beds were very comfortable. The spa was wonderful. The Bar was beautiful and service excellent. Nothing much I could say that I did not like about it. I can't wait to go back again! Our stay was too short!

The room was large and amazing and spacious.

Room Tip: We were on the 8th floor right off the elevator. I was worried it would be loud but it was not at al...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 22, 2013

The Carlyle made our trip to New York a pleasure. Situated just of Maddison Avenue within walking distance to midtown attractions and close to Central Park.
On checking in with a very polite and welcoming reception we were told our rooms were not quite ready but we did arrive a little earlier that the checkin time due to our scheduled flight time, so this was not a problem. Our luggage was taken and stored for us whilst we ventured out into the city.
We were allocated room 910 which delighted when we first walked in. The size of room was more than adequate with a walk in a wardrobe which also housed the minibar. The bathroom was a little small but this was masked by the mirrors on all four walls. The only slight critisicm was that there was no space between the bedroom and the room door leading onto the corridor.
The public areas of this hotel are a return to a bygone age and such a pleasure to be in. A member of staff is always close by and on the whole looking to attend to your needs. I say on the whole because when I just wanted a drink at the bar in Bemelmans I had to wait when being the only person there. When served for the first time however each visit to the bar (after my wait) the bar tender did remember my order.
Cafe Carlyle was a delight with a good meal and excellent entertainment, thank you to the restaurant captain and the waiting staff and a very big thank you to Herb Alpert and the band for a wonderful night of jazz. Knocked Ronnie Scotts of its perch.
This hotel is expensive but it is quiet, beautiful and a joy to stay in.

Room Tip: Central Park view comes at a price in the tower. 910 was quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Adrian_Norbury, Director of Sales at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us, thank you for leaving the review. Everyone had great things to say about Herb Alpert - he and his wife did an amazing show at Cafe Carlyle. We'll look forward to welcoming you back.