“Would not go back.”

The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel
Ranked #300 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed March 3, 2013

A picture says a thousand words, so I’ve attached a couple to give you a sense of what $550/night (before taxes) gets you at The Carlyle. If I had seen the room photos before booking, I would have reserved elsewhere.

I was greeted by Larry at the front desk and I cannot recall a worst experience checking into any hotel. Everything started with “No” and ended with “I’m sorry m’am.” I think he is most comfortable checking in old men than he is younger women.

I tried the spa, which was fabulous, got one of the best blow dries at the salon and beautiful massages during my stay. What I did not appreciate was that my masseuse’s tip was automatically added to my bill which would be handed to me with a “I hope it’s ok I added 15% to your bill” for a massage that is already $200/hour. After the second massage I asked about this practice and was told it’s because Europeans don’t tip and this is one way to make sure they do. Wait, I am not from Europe.

One other thing I reproach the hotel is not making any distinction between guests and non-guests when it comes to the hotel bar and restaurants. There is rarely any space to sit and have a meal or a drink. So your default option is room service if you don’t feel like going out. The steak is $60 on the room service menu, with delivery charges, taxes and tips, you get a $100 steak delivered in your minuscule room, how’s that for value?

Also, there was a wedding reception the weekend I was there and the walls being paper thin, it was impossible to get any sleep before all the other guests were passed out. And that was a little after 3 a.m. Front desk could or would do nothing about it. They were actually not very receptive to hearing about it.

The positive are the location, the concierge services are impeccable (I got a table at excellent restaurants on very short notice), love the Kiehl's guest toiletries, finally, Frankie and the other lift men make up for the dated space that the elevators are.

I would not go back because I believe that at that rate, I can be much better accommodated elsewhere in NYC.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
8  Thank reinepersane
Adrian_Norbury, Director of Sales at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

I am sorry to hear that you had some issues during your stay at the hotel recently. I will pass your comments on to our operations team so that we can tackle some of the service issues you experienced.

If you could please contact me to discuss the issues further I would appreciate it.

212 570 7126

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We just got back from a 3 night stay at the Carlyle. The service was wonderful and this beautiful hotel is wonderfully situated just a block from Central Park and close to many museums & restaurants on our itinerary. The rooms are not large but they are very pretty and the staff works to keep you happy. No matter the request, you are treated courteously and all issues are resolved as smoothly as humanly possible. We had a continental breakfast delivered to our room each morning and it always showed up at the exact time we had requested the night before. The coffee was good and hot and the pastries, fresh fruit & fresh squeezed juice were delicious. The bathroom was also not particularly large but it was outfitted with everything you could possibly need and it was a very nice shower. We had a balcony outside our 21st floor room and the views of the city were spectacular. We also had an Irish coffee in the bar the afternoon we arrived and enjoyed our warm drinks. The doorman was always happy to chase down a cab or lend us an umbrella. The elevator operators though unnecessary were so very kind and friendly, we learned to enjoy seeing them as we rode up and down. All in all a truly exceptional experience. The big price tag here is warranted by the attention to detail. Be sure to visit Zitomer's drugstore across the street - another throw back to an earlier, more gracious time.

Room Tip: Higher floors have much better views.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Adrian_Norbury, Director of Sales at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Thank you for writing such a glowing review. I am delighted you had such a great stay and hope you will come back and visit us again. I amalso glad you found Zitomer... such a treasure trove of a store among the many here on Madison Avenue.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

We have stayed here six times, the service is great from the front desk, elevator operators,house keeping, waiters the rooms are beautiful the food is good, we mostly had breakfast but lunch and dinner you are in NYC there are so many great restaurants that we did not eat in much .

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We really appreciate the comments and I will pass them on to the team.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

I have just returned from a 4 night stay here & would make the following points
The Good
Fabulous view from room on 31st floor. 2 walk in closets with ample hangers (something many hotels get wrong)
Super, quiet location in best area of NY for shopping, museums, galleries, nice restaurants & interesting architecture
Helpful concierge who booked restaurants for us
The Bad
A giant cockroach in the bath on our last morning. We had to drown it & then flush down lavatory as bath didnt have a big enough drain. This was a horrific experience, & even though the hotel took some moneyoff our bill
it really spoilt the end of this special trip
Poor housekeeping
Shower gel & shampoo was not replaced 2 days running & we had to call down for them both times
Mats & slippers only left out on first evening, disappeared for the rest of stay but by then we couldn't be bothered to ring down.
As others have said, room itself was small furniture tired, but we were happy with location & view, if we had been on a lower floor would certainly have wanted to move.
Small extras such as laundry bags/shoe shine kit/laundry price list which we have always had in 5 stars in Britain or Europe were missing.

Room Tip: rooms in the tower, though small have the best views
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank 28glamgran
Adrian_Norbury, Director of Sales at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Thank you for taking time to review the hotel. I am terribly sorry to hear your stay was somewhat marred by your experience. I will ensure the housekeeping deficiencies you mentioned are addressed with the operations team and that we are more consistent in the future.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

I live nearby, and I love the Bemelman's and the Café Carlyle (plus the coffeee and panini at Sant Ambroeus across the street). But I stayed once, coming in late at night, and even though they gave a few hundred dollars off the regular price, the room was still small and ordinary.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank NewYorkarchitect
Adrian_Norbury, Director of Sales at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

I am delighted to hear you are a fan of Bemelmans Bar and Cafe Carlyle. Thank you for your feedback on your overnight stay, I will make certain our operations team reviews it.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

We chose to stay here for 2 nights as part of our US tour. We thought we'd pay a little extra for something special. From the reviews and photos (how they get those angles is anyone's guess!) it seemed to be a classy place. However on arrival our Classic room was a huge disappointment; it was on the 9th floor with a view of a brick wall about 30ft away - nice. This also made it dark and dingy. For $495 a night this seemed a bit of a joke. I asked for a different room and for an extra $25 per night we were moved to the 19th floor which was at least level with the other rooftops so a bit brighter but the view was still uninspired. One good thing was the shampoo/shaving products they were top class, however the jacuzzi bath probably hadn't been used since the 1930s as when we tried it lots of crap from the pipes came out - bits of copper and dirt etc. By this point we were ready to leave. The $14 A DAY! for WIFI in the room makes the place feel 'cheap - no frills'. Breakfast was poor. The fruit I had was dry and the pastries small and not very fresh. We had stayed in the SOFITEL in Washigton DC the previous 3 days and breakfast was fantastic in all respects if not just as pricey - $60 for two at both hotels. The other annoying thing was the lift attendants especially as the lifts are tiny there is not much room for anyone else! However there seemed to be some very 'special' people staying at this hotel, some I think live there...you know the sort of people who are too precious to press a button on lift. I got the feeling the Carlyle is more of a club/institution you pay to be there rather than what you get. Thing is they don't realise - you can't buy class! The staff were very attentive especially the receptionist & concierge who were great but we felt some of the others were too friendly/in your face ogling for a tip all the time, a little disingenuous - maybe that's just NY culture?! On the last night we were going to go to the bar as there was some jazz playing - i had taken a jacket and some smart clothes especially as this was mentioned on the website, however we were informed it would be $25 each to get in the hotel bar after 9pm! Even though we had spent over $1000 with them in 48hrs...it just felt like an insult to us, so we went out instead. If your going to stay here make sure you are on floor 20 or above, specify a view, eat out, take lots of $ bills for tips!

• Stayed: January 2013
4  Thank Dashing77
Adrian_Norbury, Director of Sales at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

I am so disappointed you had problems during your stay. If you would contact me directly so that we can see how we may resolve the issues you had at the hotel.

My direct line is 212 570 72126.

Regards

Adrian Norbury
Director of Sales & Marketing.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

It was very nice, but it did not entirely match my expectations. The room was elegant, but did show some signs of wear. The views were fantastic, which made the room special. The bed was extremely comfortable, although it wouldn't be the best pick for light sleepers because the walls were a bit thin and the door rattled.There wasn't a comfy common area to sit and read (if you didn't want to eat/drink), so it's not ideal for solo or business travelers IMO. The service was certainly acceptable, but not exceptional.The location of the hotel is super, particularly for shoppers or museum-goers. I have no real complaints, and had a pleasant stay, but I did not feel "at home" or pampered in any particular way. And I think that's the experience I had expected from a NYC "grande dame" hotel.

Room Tip: There are nice views from the rooms in the tower.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank SusieQTraveler
Adrian_Norbury, Director of Sales at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2013

Thank you for posting a review here and I'm sorry we didn't quite meet your expectations, but we appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts.

Please feel free to contact me personally on your next visit to the city if you would allow us a second chance to change your impression.

212 570 7126