“cockroach in a 5 star?!”

The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel
Ranked #239 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Chichester, United Kingdom
“cockroach in a 5 star?!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

I have just returned from a 4 night stay here & would make the following points
The Good
Fabulous view from room on 31st floor. 2 walk in closets with ample hangers (something many hotels get wrong)
Super, quiet location in best area of NY for shopping, museums, galleries, nice restaurants & interesting architecture
Helpful concierge who booked restaurants for us
The Bad
A giant cockroach in the bath on our last morning. We had to drown it & then flush down lavatory as bath didnt have a big enough drain. This was a horrific experience, & even though the hotel took some moneyoff our bill
it really spoilt the end of this special trip
Poor housekeeping
Shower gel & shampoo was not replaced 2 days running & we had to call down for them both times
Mats & slippers only left out on first evening, disappeared for the rest of stay but by then we couldn't be bothered to ring down.
As others have said, room itself was small furniture tired, but we were happy with location & view, if we had been on a lower floor would certainly have wanted to move.
Small extras such as laundry bags/shoe shine kit/laundry price list which we have always had in 5 stars in Britain or Europe were missing.

Room Tip: rooms in the tower, though small have the best views
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank 28glamgran
Adrian_Norbury, Director of Sales at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you for taking time to review the hotel. I am terribly sorry to hear your stay was somewhat marred by your experience. I will ensure the housekeeping deficiencies you mentioned are addressed with the operations team and that we are more consistent in the future.

Director of Sales & Marketing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

I live nearby, and I love the Bemelman's and the Café Carlyle (plus the coffeee and panini at Sant Ambroeus across the street). But I stayed once, coming in late at night, and even though they gave a few hundred dollars off the regular price, the room was still small and ordinary.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank NewYorkarchitect
Adrian_Norbury, Director of Sales at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
I am delighted to hear you are a fan of Bemelmans Bar and Cafe Carlyle. Thank you for your feedback on your overnight stay, I will make certain our operations team reviews it.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

We chose to stay here for 2 nights as part of our US tour. We thought we'd pay a little extra for something special. From the reviews and photos (how they get those angles is anyone's guess!) it seemed to be a classy place. However on arrival our Classic room was a huge disappointment; it was on the 9th floor with a view of a brick wall about 30ft away - nice. This also made it dark and dingy. For $495 a night this seemed a bit of a joke. I asked for a different room and for an extra $25 per night we were moved to the 19th floor which was at least level with the other rooftops so a bit brighter but the view was still uninspired. One good thing was the shampoo/shaving products they were top class, however the jacuzzi bath probably hadn't been used since the 1930s as when we tried it lots of crap from the pipes came out - bits of copper and dirt etc. By this point we were ready to leave. The $14 A DAY! for WIFI in the room makes the place feel 'cheap - no frills'. Breakfast was poor. The fruit I had was dry and the pastries small and not very fresh. We had stayed in the SOFITEL in Washigton DC the previous 3 days and breakfast was fantastic in all respects if not just as pricey - $60 for two at both hotels. The other annoying thing was the lift attendants especially as the lifts are tiny there is not much room for anyone else! However there seemed to be some very 'special' people staying at this hotel, some I think live there...you know the sort of people who are too precious to press a button on lift. I got the feeling the Carlyle is more of a club/institution you pay to be there rather than what you get. Thing is they don't realise - you can't buy class! The staff were very attentive especially the receptionist & concierge who were great but we felt some of the others were too friendly/in your face ogling for a tip all the time, a little disingenuous - maybe that's just NY culture?! On the last night we were going to go to the bar as there was some jazz playing - i had taken a jacket and some smart clothes especially as this was mentioned on the website, however we were informed it would be $25 each to get in the hotel bar after 9pm! Even though we had spent over $1000 with them in 48hrs...it just felt like an insult to us, so we went out instead. If your going to stay here make sure you are on floor 20 or above, specify a view, eat out, take lots of $ bills for tips!

• Stayed January 2013
4 Thank Dashing77
Adrian_Norbury, Director of Sales at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
I am so disappointed you had problems during your stay. If you would contact me directly so that we can see how we may resolve the issues you had at the hotel.

My direct line is 212 570 72126.

Regards

Adrian Norbury
Director of Sales & Marketing.
California, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

It was very nice, but it did not entirely match my expectations. The room was elegant, but did show some signs of wear. The views were fantastic, which made the room special. The bed was extremely comfortable, although it wouldn't be the best pick for light sleepers because the walls were a bit thin and the door rattled.There wasn't a comfy common area to sit and read (if you didn't want to eat/drink), so it's not ideal for solo or business travelers IMO. The service was certainly acceptable, but not exceptional.The location of the hotel is super, particularly for shoppers or museum-goers. I have no real complaints, and had a pleasant stay, but I did not feel "at home" or pampered in any particular way. And I think that's the experience I had expected from a NYC "grande dame" hotel.

Room Tip: There are nice views from the rooms in the tower.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank SusieQTraveler
Adrian_Norbury, Director of Sales at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Thank you for posting a review here and I'm sorry we didn't quite meet your expectations, but we appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts.

Please feel free to contact me personally on your next visit to the city if you would allow us a second chance to change your impression.

212 570 7126
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

I stayed 6 nights here last week, my 8th such stay in the last five years or so. This was the worst. The people in the next room smoked all week and the smoke not only filled the corridor but circulated my room 24/7 through the ventilation system. When I mentioned it to a porter I was met with a shrug and a giggle. Hot water took over 5 minutes to reach the tap every morning. But my biggest irritation is the $14.95 charge for wifi in your room. I stay in many great hotels around the world and the only time I can remember being charged for wifi in recent times was a not so great hotel, a travelodge. It is so petty. On the whole the lift staff are friendly but there is a tendency to snobbishness in the rest. I am sure there are many people for whom this hotel is the epitome of style and luxury; but personally I like luxury to serve my needs, not test them.

Stayed January 2013
6 Thank Andrew F
I am really sorry you felt your return to the hotel was less than satisfactory. We want to make sure we cater to all our guests need and clearly we failed in this instance.

I would like to discuss your issues with you personally so that we can ensure you want to return to your home in Manhattan on your next visit. Please contact me personally so that we can understand how we can better serve you.

Direct line: 212 570 7126
adrian.norbury@rosewoodhotels.com
mewerner
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

The room size was generous, but the furniture, lighting, bathroom and carpet are in need of renovation. The room was quiet but very dowdy. We asked for and quickly received a coffee pot so we could make coffee in the morning, but they wanted to charge us for cups. Every other Rosewood we've stayed at has had self serve coffee service.

The location is excellent and the service was terrific. Once renovated, this will once again be a five star hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mewerner
Thank you for leaving a review and I am sorry we were unable to meet your expectations. I am glad you received good service and our rooms are constantly under a program of improvements.

We typically don't provide coffee service but if you would like to contact me I will happily mark your preference in your guest profile.

212 570 7126
Greenwich, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

“It happens from time to time that the well-known Grand Dame hotels from NY to London to Paris and further afield end up disappointing. Not the case here. First of all, it is hard to beat their enviable curbside appeal on East 76th street / Madison Avenue; but mostly the old-world style meets panache factor is unparalleled in this town's hotel choices. The public spaces are grand yet intimate, rooms are generously proportioned and elegant, and the restaurant and Cafe Carlyle are venues many insider-New Yorkers frequent themselves. Gym, full-service spa, excellent breakfast: check check check. The refurb they are about to undergo will make this property sing; I look forward to returning to experience it all!”

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple