“Very nice, but...”

Ranked #241 of 468 Hotels in New York City
California, USA
“Very nice, but...”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

It was very nice, but it did not entirely match my expectations. The room was elegant, but did show some signs of wear. The views were fantastic, which made the room special. The bed was extremely comfortable, although it wouldn't be the best pick for light sleepers because the walls were a bit thin and the door rattled.There wasn't a comfy common area to sit and read (if you didn't want to eat/drink), so it's not ideal for solo or business travelers IMO. The service was certainly acceptable, but not exceptional.The location of the hotel is super, particularly for shoppers or museum-goers. I have no real complaints, and had a pleasant stay, but I did not feel "at home" or pampered in any particular way. And I think that's the experience I had expected from a NYC "grande dame" hotel.

Room Tip: There are nice views from the rooms in the tower.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank SusieQTraveler
Adrian_Norbury, Director of Sales at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Thank you for posting a review here and I'm sorry we didn't quite meet your expectations, but we appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts.

Please feel free to contact me personally on your next visit to the city if you would allow us a second chance to change your impression.

Kind regards
212 570 7126

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

I stayed 6 nights here last week, my 8th such stay in the last five years or so. This was the worst. The people in the next room smoked all week and the smoke not only filled the corridor but circulated my room 24/7 through the ventilation system. When I mentioned it to a porter I was met with a shrug and a giggle. Hot water took over 5 minutes to reach the tap every morning. But my biggest irritation is the $14.95 charge for wifi in your room. I stay in many great hotels around the world and the only time I can remember being charged for wifi in recent times was a not so great hotel, a travelodge. It is so petty. On the whole the lift staff are friendly but there is a tendency to snobbishness in the rest. I am sure there are many people for whom this hotel is the epitome of style and luxury; but personally I like luxury to serve my needs, not test them.

Stayed January 2013
6 Thank Andrew F
I am really sorry you felt your return to the hotel was less than satisfactory. We want to make sure we cater to all our guests need and clearly we failed in this instance.

I would like to discuss your issues with you personally so that we can ensure you want to return to your home in Manhattan on your next visit. Please contact me personally so that we can understand how we can better serve you.

Direct line: 212 570 7126
adrian.norbury@rosewoodhotels.com
mewerner
Reviewed February 1, 2013

The room size was generous, but the furniture, lighting, bathroom and carpet are in need of renovation. The room was quiet but very dowdy. We asked for and quickly received a coffee pot so we could make coffee in the morning, but they wanted to charge us for cups. Every other Rosewood we've stayed at has had self serve coffee service.

The location is excellent and the service was terrific. Once renovated, this will once again be a five star hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mewerner
Thank you for leaving a review and I am sorry we were unable to meet your expectations. I am glad you received good service and our rooms are constantly under a program of improvements.

We typically don't provide coffee service but if you would like to contact me I will happily mark your preference in your guest profile.

Kind regards

212 570 7126
Greenwich, Connecticut
Reviewed January 29, 2013

“It happens from time to time that the well-known Grand Dame hotels from NY to London to Paris and further afield end up disappointing. Not the case here. First of all, it is hard to beat their enviable curbside appeal on East 76th street / Madison Avenue; but mostly the old-world style meets panache factor is unparalleled in this town's hotel choices. The public spaces are grand yet intimate, rooms are generously proportioned and elegant, and the restaurant and Cafe Carlyle are venues many insider-New Yorkers frequent themselves. Gym, full-service spa, excellent breakfast: check check check. The refurb they are about to undergo will make this property sing; I look forward to returning to experience it all!”

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Shanagarry
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Built approximately in 1930, The Carlyle carries significant and timeless ambiance in true New York style. The staff is impeccable, catering to a guest's every need. Though you may sight a celebrity lingering in the lobby or riding along in the elevator with you, there is never a stare or a gawk, The rooms are spacious and are timelessly classic. While the Carlyle staff and its guests have impeccable manners. The location is perfect, away from the maddening crowds, yet only blocks from Fifth Avenue. Bemelman's Bar timeless and a perfect place for meeting friends for drinks or a romantic rendezvous. The restaurant's elegant setting and atmosphere with overtones of hushed conversation serves something for everyone. The escagot is deliciously mouth watering and the souffles arrive at your table bubbling with hints of what is to come. Almost but not quite, am rethinking about sending this. Hush.......tell only your very best and dearest.

Room Tip: The staff is very attentive to special occasions. Everything done to perfection.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Adrian_Norbury, Director of Sales at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
I really appreciate you writing such a lovely review. I know why you would only want to tell your friends and keep the secret but I am glad you shared your experiences on TripAdvisor. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

River Vale, New Jersey
Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Carlyle over the Christmas holiday, and it was fantastic. We try to stay at the Carlyle once a year, and I figured it was time to write a review. The rooms are wonderful, with good views. We typically get a terrace room which is amazing. It has a huge terrace overlooking the City where you can hang out at night and enjoy the views or have a meal. Just fabulous. The soap at the Carlyle is simply amazing too. I've never used a soap so wonderful in my life.
The elevator operators are a really nice touch. Throws you back to a more gentile time in history. The Carlyle is my favorite hotel in New York City and I highly recommend it.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Costello3
Adrian_Norbury, Director of Sales at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you for writing such a kind review. I am delighted you have made The Carlyle a tradition as so many of our guests do. I really appreciate you recommending the hotel to other TripAdvisor users.

Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

Back in July me and my boyfriend stayed in the hotel for only 3 nights as we were travelling on to florida but was the best 3 nights ever! We were so impressed from being checked in till when we checked out. We flew from the UK so after a long flight it was perfect to relax in. To be honest I miss the hotel more then New York! We have recommended your hotel to family and friends back home. Hope to come back soon. Definitely felt at home staying with you.

• Stayed July 2012
Adrian_Norbury, Director of Sales at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
I am so glad you had a great time at the hotel and really appreciate the recommendations to family and friends.

We'll look forward to welcoming you back to your new home in New York!