“Great place - exceeded expectations!”

The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel
Ranked #255 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Los Angeles, California
“Great place - exceeded expectations!”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Admittedly, when my room was upgraded to a huge suite with a piano (!!!) in it, I was probably going to be impressed... The service was as it should be for a world-class hotel and the room (more of an apartment) was a wow kind of a room. And a word on the food and the bar - class - not quite over the top but close enough to feel pretty good about you choice.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Adrian_Norbury, Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Thank you for your kind review and I'm glad you enjoyed the upgraded accomodation.

I will be certain to pass your comments on to the team.

Director of Sales & Marketing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
East Northport, New York
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I have never been able to afford the price of the hotel rooms; however, I have been to Bemelmans Bar and it was just awesome. The pianist was great and the drinks were substantial. Worth going to to see the murals and to just be in the atmosphere of an upscale wonderful hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank AuntyM_17
Adrian_Norbury, Public Relations Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
I am so glad you enjoy your visits to Bemelmans. I also enjoy the atmosphere and cocktails with some great music.

I hope you are able to come and visit soon, and if you are in New York during the winter or summer, you'll find some great rates.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

We stayed overnight at the Carlyle last JUNE 2011 to watch Lea Salonga's New York in June at the Cafe Carlyle. We stayed at The Plaza the night before. Regrettably, it was a wrong decision to leave The Plaza for The Carlyle. For the same amount of money, The Plaza screams opulence in everything including SERVICE! I booked the Carlyle room through Oyster.com which came with free breakfast. On our check out day, I called front desk regarding the free breakfast. The lady denied that my accommodation did not come with the free breakfast. I informed her that it is contained in my email which she asked to have a copy of it. So, I went down to show her the said email which was in my iPhone. I was asked to forward the said email to a Carlyle email add. Then, I was asked to wait as she had to make calls first (most possibly to verify the veracity of the email in my inbox). She made me wait for almost an hour but still no action. I felt like we were beggars waiting for our rations in a corner. I felt humiliated deep inside knowing that I am not white and I could have been served better. My husband was telling me that we should just eat outside but I told the front desk lady that I wish not to wait any further and I will pay for our breakfast instead. We headed to the restaurant and we were seated by a staff and menus were handed to us. Then, the head waiter came to our table and told us that they could not accommodate our son because he was wearing shorts. I was completely aware of the dress code but overlooked his outfit. What was highly frustrating though was this young lady inside the restaurant was just wearing a very skimpy shorts and looking like a w____! Not only that, she was wearing flip-flops too but her Grandma is apparently a resident. I didn't say anything and so my son went back to our room and changed into pants. During check out, I was informed that my breakfast was already taken care of. She made it sound that it was a nice gesture from the hotel. Hah, as if that was a favor from them!

I should NOT HAVE WAITED for almost an hour for something that should have been accorded to me because I PAID (and pre-paid with Oyster) for it in the first place. And, Mr. Manager, even if you reply to this complaint, I am advocating others not to stay in this hotel. The damage has been done and you could not rectify it. I urge others to go The Plaza instead, join their club (Fairmont President's Club) for free and check out the members' benefits. Free wifi, free limo ride, free parking, too. (Yes, I did not get charged for it!) Or go
to any other hotels except The Carlyle.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Handlegently
Adrian_Norbury, Director of Sales at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I am so sorry you had a poor experience. You are correct we should not have had you wait around and I apologise.

Our goal is to have every guest enjoy a relaxing stay and I'm sorry yours was less than perfect. If you will give us another try, please contact me directly and I will happily take care of your reservation personally.

212 570 7126
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I stayed at The Carlyle for 5 days with my spouse. A pretty good stay compared to the other 5-stars hotels I've staying at. But ...

The plus : great room with 2 walk-in dressing rooms, the extremely good overall service.

The minus: fungus in the shower, extremely noisy air conditioning system (my wife couldn't sleep without air plugs even after 24 hours without sleep) and pretty old furnitures. The room we had on the 7th floor was looking in the court and thus very dark.

Overall good experience, great location, but we probably won't come back.

Beside that, I was disappointed by the spoilage of energy by letting the light the whole day on. Moreover the well known system that foresees that people let the towels they want to be changed on the ground wasn't possible at The Carlyle.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gael S
Adrian_Norbury, Director of Sales at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
I am very disappointed to learn that you do not feel you want to return and they we didn't exceed your expectations.

The issues with mould and air conditioning should certainly be dealt with and had you let us know we could have had enginering deal with the issues or we would have been happy to move you to another room. I am sorry we weren't able to correct these problems during your stay.

We do endeavor to be mindful of the environment during our everyday operations, but our towel exchange policy is due to feedback from our guests. If you do make the decision to return, please let us know your preferences and we would be happy to adjust the servicing of your room.

I'm sorry your stay was not perfect and hope you will give us another try.

Bainbridge Island, WA
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I have always wanted to say at the Carlyle. I went for a long weekend of theater at the end of June and booked there my first night. What a disappointment! Wonderful location, beautiful views but NOT a 5 star experience. The lobby on my tower floor room smelled moldy, there was a leak under the sink so that water flowed out when I opened the door, interior of medicine cabinet had been sanded but not painted, stain in the room carpet, ripped wallpaper above the bed. Breakfast in dining room was very average and service was indifferent. It felt like a lack of attention to detail by management. Yikes.

I would not go there again and, I have to say, it makes me wonder about other Rosewood properties.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ellen219
Adrian_Norbury, Director of Sales at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
I am so sorry you were disappointed with your stay here at The Carlyle.

We do take our commitment to provide you an excellent experience very seriously and I am sorry we failed on this occasion. Certainly had we known of the issue with the waste pipe we would have had engineering come and rectify the issue immediately.

I hope you will return on a future visit and I would be very happy to ensure you had a great experience on that visit. Please feel free to contact me directly on 212 570 7126.

Kind Regards

sweden
Reviewed September 2, 2012

My wife and I stayed att Carlyle for three nights. The Hotel is very nice and the staff is very service minded and friendly. Its not one of those big hotels where no one knows who you are and there are lots of tourists. Stay at Carlyle if you want a good hotel, splendid service and a smile from everyone. The didning room where you also take your breakfast is one o the nicest I ever tried.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank HeleneSweden
Adrian_Norbury, Director of Sales at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the hotel. I will certainly pass your kind words on to the team, as it motivates them to do even better.

Adrian Norbury
Director of Sales & Marketing.
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I staying at big names Westin and Marriott but it was special occasion and I decide to stay at The Carlyle. I hearing great things from me friend who stay last month and she love the workers and the hotel, it was easy for me to pick the carlyle. I and my wife celebrating a holiday after three years from our family and work, we really looking forward to this weekend.
Our flight lated two times, I very tired and want to sleep. Doorboy |Victor was very nice he welcoming us really nice. He knowed we tired and worked very fast and get our bags to the check in desk. My wife and him right away start talking they both from the same country. Room had small problem but I call the check in desk and talk to Raul he so helpful and solve problem fast. If problem not stop I call again but he call me back and ask if all okay so nice of him. Service so far at the carlyle perfect. Beds and design of room too good. Feel like home and really good sleep.

I come again soon. thank you

Room Tip: doorboy Victor very nice and help lots. talk Raul for any problems great helpful