The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
The Surrey(New York City)
The Mark(New York City)
  • Restaurant
Third Ave House(New York City)
View Hotel
The Franklin(New York City)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Plaza Athenee(New York City)
  • Restaurant
Bristol Plaza(New York City)
  • Pool
Lowell Hotel(New York City)
  • Room Service
  • Fitness center
The Melrose Hotel(New York City)
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel Olcott(New York City)
  • Room Service
All reviewsupper east sidebemelmans barelevator operatorelevator attendantscentral parktower roomnew yorkmadison avenuehardwood floorsclassic hotelelevator servicehome away from homeliving roompublic areasfour seasonsrooms are comfortablewe've stayed
Reviewed January 7, 2012

This hotel is classic old New York yet quite affordable. The staff treat the guests exceptionally well without looking at you blatantly for a tip after every service provided. The bar is a gorgeous and the spa is small but luxurious.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 2, 2012

The Carlyle retaurant is hailed as one of the last bastions of traditional haute cuisine.Whilst there were small glimpses of good food the overall experience is mediocre at best.The beef wellington was excellent but my daughters lamb was overcooked and indeed dried out.The creme brulee was not caramalised but burnt.The vegetables were soggy.
A dining experience is not just the food and this is were The Carlyle restaurant really fails-the staff were mostly snooty and reserved and we felt unwelcome from the moment we arrived starting with an unobserved/unacknowledged wait at the Maitre`d s plinth.
Save your money-there are far better restaurants in New York City.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank calatrava
CarlyleNewYork, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2012

I appreciate your initial e-mail to me and again please accept my most sincere apologies for the less than satisfactory experience during your recent dinner at our restaurant.

We have reviewed your constructive comments with our Restaurant Manager, as well as our Executive Chef, in order to prevent incidents of this nature from occurring in the future.

We take all feedback on the hotel and our outlets quite seriously and strive to improve our standards at all times. If I can be of any assistance to you in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at (212) 570-7187.

Sincerely yours,
Erich Steinbock
Managing Director

Reviewed December 18, 2011

Great hotel with easy access to a lot of great spots for a tourist. Top notch service and beautiful rooms!! I will never stay anywhere else when traveling to the city!!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank rehansen3rd
Reviewed November 28, 2011

My daughters and I spent three nights here in October. Usually I stay at the Surrey, but I thought I would give this hotel a try, because I heard they had renovated the rooms. The photos on the website looked amazing. I booked some sort of suite and they upgraded me to, I guess, a bigger one--and it was huge, no doubt about it. There was even a grand piano. Unfortunately, it wasn't that comfortable...or clean. The furniture was old and sparse, and it was too small for the rooms. The couch in the living room looked downright manky. Through the holes in the radiator covers (which were large and very visible from the couch) you could see big piles of lint and scuzz. The bed was lovely and the bed linens were absolutely first quality, but the lumpy brown carpet made the room feel old. And the bathrooms (two full and one half) seemed either old or improperly cleaned. There were lines of black (fungus?) around the caulking. Where are they hiding the beautiful suites pictured on the website?! Were only some of the rooms renovated? Did they run out of money and do a more thorough job on some rooms than others? And why have people employed full-time pushing elevator buttons when there is such a problem with cleaning and maintenance? That seems truly bizarre to me.

On the upside, the hotel has a great Upper East Side location, walking distance from the Met and other wonderful museums. The bar/restaurant is fun and very old New York. And the staff is sweet.

But this hotel can't hold a candle to the newer or more thoroughly renovated luxury hotels in the city.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Kirkberta
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Stayed for three nights over Thnksgvg Day holiday. Wonderful old-style NYC hotel, top quality amenities (bed, soaps, etc etc etc) BUT . . . charging $15 per day for wi-fi access in a room costing almost $1,000 a night all in is too cheap for words. I think you simply have to adjust your expectations in NYC hotels. We thought we had and although we were taken aback at first with the tiny room (and especially tiny bathroom), we were won over by the top quality furnishings and the relative silence of the upper east side. The staff are almost TOO friendly (where do you see elevator attendants anymore, although I suspect they are required not so much as a luxury but more to keep the travelling riff-raff from running around on floors reserved for permanent residents). The view to the south from our 31st floor was almost worth the room price in itself, but as luxury hotels go, we have had more value for money at the Waldorf and the Standard, and the Peninsula in Chicago.

Unfortunately, elevators are also very tiny (old-style) and apparently don't have room for the usual luggage trolleys, so the bell staff sort of work in teams to move your luggage by hand - kind of weird and inefficient, but unfailingly polite and gracious. Also, the old walls are very thin, so that you can easily hear a normal conversation the the adjacent room (and when you share your floor with the sort of inconsiderate boors who ought not to be staying there in the first place and can't grasp the concept of considerate quiet at 0700 on a holiday morning, then you REALLY realize how thin the walls are, but you can't blame all that on the hotel.)

We might return for the location and the wonderful old-style class and charm, but we might also check out The Mark in the same location. Even though I didn't even use it - I had my own handheld - I was very irritated by the effrontery of charging extra for wireless in such an expensive hotel room but maybe The Mark is the same . . . ?

Room Tip: South-facing tower rooms offer wonderful view.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family