“Pitifully faded glory”

Ranked #265 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Jackson, MS
“Pitifully faded glory”
Reviewed April 5, 2011

Just got back from a 4 night stay in a Superior Suite at the Carlyle. I'm 60 and have stayed at fine hotels all over Europe and in major US cities. This is the worst hotel experience I've ever had. Off the entrance hallway to our suite was a kitchenette with Formica counter tops and appliances that had seen better days many years ago. The rug in the living area was stained and frayed at the edges. There was a jagged tear in the curtains that looked like it had been repaired by a child. The bathroom was completely walled in mirrors to disguise how incredibly tiny it was. I really doubt that 2 adults could have stood in the bathroom at the same time. After arrival, I called housekeeping to ask for a bucket of ice, since there are no ice machines on the floor, and finally, an hour later, on the third phone call, I just told them to forget it. Breakfast each morning in the restaurant was included in our room package and was about the quality one would expect at a Denny's. We asked to see another room and were shown a Deluxe Suite which was actually in worse physical shape than our first suite, so we just let it go. The Carlyle may have been the epitome of Art Deco splendor when it was built in 1931. In 2011, it's merely faded, tired looking, and cramped. If you really want to stay in a wonderful hotel, go stay in the Ritz Carlton in San Francisco. It, like the Carlyle, is housed in an older, historic building, but the difference in quality between the two hotels is like night and day. If you're in New York, anything would have to be better than the Carlyle.

• Stayed March 2011
3 Thank es335tdc
CarlyleNewYork, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this review, April 6, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to extend my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced during your visit. I understand that you were unhappy with the decor of your accommodations and were disappointed with its cleanliness. I have addressed these issues with our management team. Your input is greatly appreciated and will assist us as we continue to update the rooms and suites of the hotel.

Our goal is to provide you with exceptional service and to ensure that each and every one of your stays with us is a most pleasant and memorable one. I regret we were not able to uphold that goal on this occasion. By reporting to us the issues you experienced during your stay, you have aided us in enhancing the well-established reputation that The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel strives so diligently to uphold.

We hope to welcome you back to The Carlyle in the not too distant future. In the meantime, if I may be of the slightest assistance to you in any way, please do not hesitate to contact me at 212.570.7100.

Respectfully,
Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed April 4, 2011

Stayed here for a NY weekend of shopping and dinning. Positives - good value for 5 star in NY and good value for the location which is great, upper east side.

Continued positives - Captures Old New York with some really nice old world touches, elevator guys were great and along with the bellstaff and resturant guys, the only real professionals.

Room - was huge for NY standards, granted we were upgraded, but really was nice, hardwood floors and charming touches.

Negatives - Front desk staff was a bit amatuer hour, young people with really not a whole lot of class, not especially friendly.

Conceriege was a bit off too, younger, incurrate information.

Common areas are a little worn down.

Did not feel like I got a true 5 star service oriented group. Save for elevator operators, bellman, and resturant.

Just not a place to fall in love with, disappointing to us because we really wanted to find our "address" in NY for return trips. I am going to stick with mainstream luxury groups such as Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons, perhaps a better reviewed botique hotels.

But if your in your 30s and a well healed traveler, look elsewhere, the Carlyle will disapoint.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank whitleybh
Thank you for choosing The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel. We are delighted to have had you with us during your most recent visit to New York City.

I would like to extend my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced during your visit. I understand there were several issues you encountered throughout your stay, from the service provided at reception to the condition of our public areas. I have addressed these issues with our management team and the appropriate departments and can assure you that we are taking steps to prevent this from happening again.

Our goal is to provide you with exceptional service and to ensure that each and every one of your stays with us is a most pleasant and memorable one. I regret we were not able to uphold that goal on this occasion. Please rest assured that when you return for your anniversary, no efforts will be spared to ensure your complete satisfaction with our facilities and services.

We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to The Carlyle. In the meantime, if I may be of the slightest assistance to you in any way, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at (212) 570.7100.

Respectfully,
Stamford, Connecticut
Reviewed March 11, 2011

This hotel was recommended a perfect place to recuperate after a surgical procedure. When I spoke to a reservationist she assured me that they would have a renovated suite with a kitchenette for me. I was given a seemingly lovely renovated one bedroom suite with a minibar, no kitchenette. Minibar frig was broken so we had to have another delivered. The heat and air-conditioning did not work in the bedroom. I ordered toast and it arrived uncovered and ice cold. The phone in the living room malfunctioned.

I complained to the night manager who said he was sorry the room was not to my liking. I guess it is my fault that I don't like to eat food after it has spent a few hours in a warm frig, my fault that I become uncomfortable in stuffy, hot rooms and my fault that I find cold toast unappetizing. He also mentioned that I had too many requests

Athough the hotel's night manager could use a rigorous retraining in customer relations , every service person who came to our room was polite, apologetic and helpful.

Stayed March 2011
4 Thank Draytongardens
Arlington, Texas
Reviewed March 7, 2011

My first trip to New York and this hotel definately catered to us. It was my birthday and received two upgrades and a note from the chef. This is definately upscale and fits the east side venue. There was coffee service outside the cafe for those early risers with a few mini muffins. A few mornings we just eat breakfast sitting in the lobby people watching. The fitness center is very adequate and the business center has both a mac and windows computers.

The front desk was very friendly. Everyone here knew who we were after the first night. The room was spacious, the bathroom large and the amenities top notich.

Great location to walk Central Park and the Museums. We walked only a few blocks down and caught the subway for a ride to China Town, Brooklyn bridge...It was only about a $10.00 cab ride down to Times Square/Rockefeller Center

Great staff and top notch service

Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Mary A
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 23, 2011

I've stayed here five times. The hotel expresses the best of NY grace style, from the fabulous art deco lobby to the public rooms. Not too big but not boutique and with great staff, it's the best place to stay in New York (the St Regis is good to but not at all as personal or cosy).The rooms are spacious and well kitted out with lovely soap and toiletries. Try and get a renovated room - some of the basic rooms are awaiting refurbishing. It's expensive, but worth it; book a deal including breakfast and free internet (I like whatahotel.com) - you also save on rack rates and may get a room upgrade.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Glen Ellen, California
Reviewed February 18, 2011

Beware the spider beetles in your bed at the Caryle. They look like bed bugs and they do bite. The one I found was examined by a "professional" and declared not bed bug. Took four days to be identified as said beetle, after repeated requests for information. 10 bites on torso and thigh.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank shein_deborah
CarlyleNewYork, General Manager at The Carlyle, A Rosewood Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

I remember your stay here and our conversation we had one morning in our lobby. Please allow me to extend my sincere apologies for the interruption you experienced during your stay. As you confirmed, the insect was verified by a pest control professional as a beetle. We apologize for the delay in obtaining the verification of the insect type from the pest control company and have personally requested that, in the future, they will respond to us within 24 hours of the service call.

Our goal is to provide you with exceptional service and to ensure each and every one of your stays with us is a most pleasant and memorable one. I regret we were not able to uphold that goal on this occasion as this particular issue is something we treat very seriously. We hope you are feeling better and we wish to thank you for your understanding in this matter.

Sincerely yours,

Managing Director

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Carlyle in the not too distant future. In the meantime, if I may be of the slightest assistance to you in any way, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at (212) 570-7100.
New York
Reviewed January 22, 2011

spent a winter's evening at The Carlyle...dinner at Cafe Carlyle, cabaret show and overnight accomodation...using major credit card reservation service, had early check in, late check out, spa credit and breakfast....caliber of service was outstanding from start to finish...hefty price tag but generally worth it....gorgeous room, fabulous table for dinner, incredible performance by cabaret singer, outstanding service from start to finish
one hitch: as hotel guest, surprised that we were hit up for 15.00/pp cover charge while standing at bar waiting for table (jazz trio on break) and were, subsequently, charged 30.00/pp to sit at table for 2nd round of drinks (this time, the trio performed)...our cover charge was greater than cost of drinks, as only 2 out of 4 had 2nd round.... ordered/picked up drinks at bar ourselves - no table service other than the bill being delivered to our table, with the added cover charge...just wasn't right...could understand if you were not hotel guest and stopping in for drinks...but, seemed excessive and definitely soured the feel of evening
if you are looking for a special place for special evening, the Carlyle can be the place - just make sure you've got deep pockets...
FYI: simple breakfast for two exceeded $85 -