“Perfect Small Hotel in Manhattan”

The Iroquois New York
Ranked #39 of 467 Hotels in New York City
London
“Perfect Small Hotel in Manhattan”
Reviewed June 27, 2007

I loved staying in this small Hotel with friendly understated service. The room was of a high standard with a great bathroom and downstairs there was a small but comfortable library which was a useful resource, with a pc for guests use. Located in W44th just off 5th avenue The Iroquois was only a walk from everywhere I needed to go.
Perhaps the best feature was the outstanding small resteraunt in the Hotel but with its own entrance from the street, or access from the hotel lobby. Triomph - this not only had some of the best food I've eaten in a restaurant but also a good selection of well priced wines with a good choice availble by the glass. Again the service is friendly and understated.
If you are going to New York on business or pleasure and want a quiet hotel to retreat to then I would recommend the Iroquois.
My only criticism is I would have liked a kettle in the room - I'd rather make my own tea when I'm out of England......

• Liked — Peaceful and Friendly
  • Disliked — No kettle in roon
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 24, 2007

I was traveling with a girlfriend to NY to see a show (Blackbird with Jeff Daniels - if you get a chance- see it!) We chose the Iroquois based on TripAdvisor reviews. A few days before we were to arrive I got a call confirming that I had requested a room with two queens and they wondered if I could accepta a room with a single King Size bed. No! My friend and I did not want to share a bed. The woman on the phone assured me it would not be a problem. When we arrived, however, the front desk informed us that they had no rooms with two beds, could we take a room with a single King Size bed? I was about to get hot under the collar and reminded her that I had just confirmed a room with two queens a couple of days before. She quickly offered us TWO rooms for the price of one - we each got our own room with a queen size bed and our own bathroom. Now THAT is what I call customer service! We had a lovely stay, the rooms had recently been renovated and were luxurious. I plan to stay at the Iroquois every chance I get.

• Liked — Superb service
  • Disliked — single, small elevator
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
London
Reviewed June 24, 2007

I have to agree with a previous review, great location, nice staff, but that is it really.

Breakfast not included, attached bar (not really a hotel bar) no atmosphere and pricey. Sauna was never on. 2 lifts, both very slow. we were on the 3rd floor (2nd in english) and had to walk up and down the stairs all the time, not a prob for us, but not good.

Room was horrid, Very small, just room to walk round the bed. We couldn't tell if it was day or night out, very disconcerting. window pointless as was up against the brick wall of the next building. AC was loud, I had to use ear plugs to sleep . If you didn't close the bathroom door you had to sit sideways on the loo, and couldn't get to the toilet paper. No tea/coffee maker.

You go to NY for the views, I was very disappointed to be staying in a cave, it felt like being underground!

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Room
Peoria, Arizona
Reviewed June 21, 2007

My wife and I stayed 4 nights and were very happy, this was our first trip to NYC, read the reviews on this site and they were all very accurate. The rooms were small but very nice and clean. Staff was great. Would surely stay here again, the location is perfectly in the middle of it all. Enjoyed this gem!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Leaving NYC
GAINESVILLE
Reviewed June 19, 2007

From start to finish, our stay at the Iroquois was great. The room was large enough, very very clean, a staff that wanted to please you and a terrific location. of all the theatre district hotels i would rank casablanca and iroquois tied for #1, everyone else is a distant 3rd. will stay again and have told all of our friends to book here and to mention our name as you get rewarded for referals

• Liked — overall quality
  • Disliked — leaving
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed June 16, 2007

I just returned from a two night stay at the Iroquois for business in the Times Square area. I picked the hotel because of the location and the good reviews on this web site, but I can't rate it nearly as high as most travelers.

The location is great, just a half block from 5th Avenue and a block and a half from Times Square. The room was clean with a comfortable bed and a flat screen TV. The staff was friendly and efficient, but that is about it for my list of positives.

I was in room 206 which was very small and very dark. I couldn't tell if it was day or night out. I had a view of a brick wall and garbage. There was a large AC generator somewhere close by that kicked on and off with a loud noise that prevented me from sleeping well. If you didn't close the bathroom door to use the toilet, you couldn't get to the toilet paper without getting up off the toilet because the room was so small. There was no coffee maker either, and for $300 to $350 a night, I want a coffee maker!

i wouldn't stay again...

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Small, dark room
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank jlw1013
Connecticut
Reviewed June 13, 2007

This small but wonderful hotel is a a gem in the middle of the city. It is close to the theaters as well as the multitude of nearby restaurants plus it is a short walk from Grand Central Station.

The doormen smile as do all of the staff at the desk. Each of them asks politely if there is anything more I needed and this place feels like a home away from home. The rooms are not large but very comfortable for a limited stay. I loved the king bed with large soft pillows and covers that wrapped around you. The housekeeping staff is efficent and caring. Even the chocolates on the pillow at night were delightful.

This is my favorite hotel in New York. You'll really like it if when you want comfort, smiles and a warm homey place to stay.

Stayed June 2007