“Less than stellar performance”

The Iroquois New York
Ranked #40 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Marana, Arizona
“Less than stellar performance”
Reviewed September 2, 2006

We stayed for a total of six nights at the Iroquois Hotel from August 23rd through August 29th, 2006. Our experience was overall disappointing, mainly because of the laconic and almost passive aggressive attitude of the front desk staff. Throughout our stay we encountered various problems; when we attempted to rectify them the hotel staff was dismissive and invariably made us feel each problem was somehow our fault.

1. When we checked in very early in the morning we were laconically pointed towards the elevator, with no offer being made to assist us with our luggage.

2. The second night we did not receive the turn-down service (and the eagerly anticipated Godiva chocolates). When I commented on this to the front desk the next morning I was informed that I must have left on the "Do Not Disturb Sign". This was not the case. In fact, I couldn't figure out where or how to turn on that sign, even if I had wanted to.

3. Sometime during the afternoon of our second day the internet wireless went down and I was unable to conduct some business. When I brought this up with the front desk I was told that the internet was up and there was no problem at all. (Translation--I was somehow doing something wrong). It turned out that the internet was indeed down for the rest of the evening and was not up and running until the next morning.

4. The servicing of our room was consistently late (past 2 in the afternoon). One afternoon we returned to the room past 3 p.m. and it had still not been cleaned. Of course, I informed, once again, the front desk. Needless to say, they were not pleased with me. I noticed that with each of my "complaints" they became less and less cordial.

5. Our last afternoon at the Iroquois we requested that the hotel book a taxi for our departure early the next morning. My husband was informed that the bellman would get back to us shortly with the details--we are still waiting . . .! We eventually booked private transportation to the airport.

There were positive things about the Iroquois. It has an excellent location--two blocks from Times Square without the 24-7 din one finds there. Great restaurants, museums and shopping opportunities are within walking distance. Also, if you don't feel you burn enough calories exploring Manhattan, the hotel has a respectable, if small, exercise room on the premises. Finally, the complimentary wireless, high speed internet is a great amenity.

To summarize, the Iroquois has the fundamental elements that comprise a great hotel; however, their staff needs a few lessons in customer service.

• Liked — Location; wireless high speed internet
  • Disliked — staff-especially front desk staff
  • Tips/Secrets — book the largest category of room; we booked the middle-sized one and found it very cramped
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Wyldman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Burlington,ON
Reviewed September 1, 2006

My girlfriend and I stayed for 4 nights at The Iroquois New York Hotel in May and we were delighted with the accomodations and friendly, helpful front desk staff. The location is ideal; close proximity to Theatre District and Central Station. There is a very good and inexpensive restaurant next door for breakfast. It is very clean, exceptionally comfortable beds and all amenities are included . Daily newspaper, bottled water. We had a room with two double beds, down comforter, Egyptian cotton sheets. It is a small boutique hotel so expect the room and closet to be on the smaller scale. Highly recommend.

• Liked — Comfortable rooms with quality amenities.
  • Disliked — small closets
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ontariocanada
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed August 30, 2006

I stayed at the Iroquois on a business trip. It was in a great central location right off 5th Ave. in midtown, near shops, theaters, restaurants and a quick walk to Grand Central Station. Yet it was not too near super noisy Times Square. The service here was very good. It was on our corporate preferred list of hotels and since these can be hit or miss; I looked it up on Trip Advisor before I booked it. Since the reviews were good I decided it was worth a try. The service at the front desk, the restaurant, and the bell desk was excellent. I was upgraded on check-in and the room was quite comfortable. There was a flat panel TV, a very comfortable bed, a complimentary 1/2 bottle of wine, bottle of Perrier, and a small box of chocolates. There were terry robes in this room and the towels were nice and fluffy. I had some problems with the wireless internet, but was told they have signal boosters available. The room was a typically small NY hotel room, but it did have a desk. There was also a small fitness room at this hotel. I have already recommended it to friends and I plan to stay there on my next trip to New York.

• Liked — A very comfortable bed
  • Disliked — Wireless Internet had problems
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank RoInCo
Dubai, U.A.E.
Reviewed August 16, 2006

My wife and I stayed for six nights in a executive king bed room at
the Iroquois in July. We chose it after we have read a lot of good reviews about it. The room size is NY standard, whereas the bathroom is pretty big. We really liked the personal approach of its staff.
A little draw back for us was that fact that one is not able to switch off the AC. (I solved this problem in my way though..)When reported to the GM, he substiuted us to a free dinner at the superb Restaurant Triomphe downstairs. Great gesture! When my wife got sick, the concierge called a doctor she personally knew well and organized a quick appointment for us. I have never experienced this kind of personal treatment in any of the big hotel chains. We will be back at the Iroquois.

9 Thank staraccept
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed June 20, 2006

My wife and i opted to stay at this hotel as it is a member of "Small Luxury Hotels of the World". Located between Times Square and 5th Ave, the location could not have been better. From previous reviews I had understood that the rooms were small, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that they were not as small as I had feared. Our room faced the back, and that was OK, as it is probably more quiet than the front. The staff was good, but I honestly would have expected a little more attentiveness. The only "bad" experience was when we ordered ice for drinks, and the staff who came was visibly displeased with the tip he received. In my opinion it is OK to be displeased, but not OK to show it in front of the customer. I can highly recommend the hotel for other visitors to NYC.

• Stayed January 2006
7 Thank Rocambole
england
Reviewed June 11, 2006

I booked this hotel as it is part of the small leading hotels of the world group and is recommended for children. On arrival the staff were lovely and really nice to my 2 year old son. I had only been in the room a few minutes when reception called to check if everything was OK - a nice touch. Shortly after a staff member arrived at the door with a Batman bubble-bath for my little boy - a really nice touch. The room is crammed with equipment - games console, CD, DVD, plasma TV, minibar but being so small it is a bit tight on space. The bath leaked which was a bit dissapointing and we were overcharged on our drinks order and had to ask for the refund to be returned to our room which they reluctantly did. The location is fantastic, you are 1 minute off Fifth avenue and a short walk to Central park, FAO Schwarz, Rockafeller Centre, Empire states, Times Square, Central station etc. Only one of the door staff were friendly, the others were a bit grumpy. In hindsight, I wish I had booked a cheaper hotel because beign tourists we went out really early and came back really late and so didn't need a nice hotel. Also, the bar was really small and the only communal area was far too small for a child, there isn't really anywhere in the hotel to be with your child other than your small bedroom and the restaurant is too formal to feel comfortable in with a child.

• Stayed May 2006
6 Thank anni
philadelphia
Reviewed June 10, 2006

We just returned from a weekend in NYC and stayed at the Iroquois Hotel on West 44th Street. What a lovely hotel with superb staff. Alot of extras like a complimentary bottle of wine, Perrier water, NY Times delivered daily, fruit tray in the afternoon. Wow...what can I say. They even gave us complimentary drinks at their bar which is lovely.

Our room was boutique size with a desk, chair and queen size bed. Nice size bath with tub with shower that was delightful and the shower had excellent pressure. We would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a quality stay when visiting the city. It is one block from 5th Ave and all the shopping you would want. We must admit this price is not cheap but you truly get what you pay for here! Worth every penny and we have stayed at a lot of NYC hotels. This is second to the Omni Berkshire.

6 Thank casualtravelers