“Perfectly placed delightful hotel”

The Iroquois New York
Ranked #37 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for four nights in December 2012. It is perfectly located two blocks from Times Square and one block from Fifth Avenue. We found it a perfect base to explore all Manhattan has to offer. Walking to Central Park took approximately 20 minutes, Times Square was less than 5 minutes away and with close Subway stations access to all of Manhattan is a piece of cake.

With regard the hotel itself, we were very happy with out choice. Location aside, the hotel was very clean and well appointed. We had a room on the 11th floor, and after sending the hotel an email prior to our arrival they provided a room with a view of the Chrysler Building, as requested.

The room itself was a decent size, tidy bathroom with powerful shower and Molton Brown products. The hotel has two lifts servicing all floor, and we never had to wait for a lift. Both the concierge and the front desk staff were very helpful and courteous, as were the bell boys. A wonderful little touch was the urn in the reception area. In the morning it was full of coffee, with cups available for you to take out with you. And from the afternoon onwards, hot cider was available.

Very happy with our choice and won't hesitate to return the next time we visit New York.

Room Tip: Email the hotel prior to travelling and they will do all they can to accomadate requests. As mention...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
IroquoisFrontDesk, Front Office Manager at The Iroquois New York, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2012

I'm delighted to hear that you found our location convenient during your stay. And we would like to thank you for your compliments of our hotel and staff. It's always great to hear our staff providing exceptional service to our guest to make their stay that much more enjoyable. We look foward to welcoming you again in the future!

There are newer reviews for The Iroquois New York

Reviewed December 16, 2012

Stayed at this hotel while in NYC. Hotel is clean, cosy and welcoming with a classic decor, staff are also welcoming and friendly. The location is also hard to beat being close to broadway, the subway and reasonably close to Central Park. Price seemed reasonable for the location but the room was a bit smaller than what we would have liked (couple + 6 yr old) and with three suitcases we had to place one on the floor near the door since there was no where else to put it. Prices for food and services seemed a little steep (not sure how they compare with other hotels in the city) but we found a diner only a few doors down which had good food at good prices. Hotel would suit a couple who only intend to use it as a base and don't intend spending much time there but being in NYC that's not hard to do. A positive experience overall.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Elio L

I am pleased to hear had a pleasant stay at our hotel. As we strive to provide our guests with the best service and the most comfortable experience we can offer. I'm sorry the room size was not to your liking.Our first priority is to ensure our guests are as comfortable as possible. We do offer different category of rooms that offer more space then others.We hope that we can welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

Perfect loacation for Theater, Times Square and Radio Music Hall. The place was very clean and the hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. Only complaint, the resturant is over-priced! We paid over $60 for 2 bowls of oatmeal, 2 orders of toast, 1 yougart, coffee and tea. With 20% tip, our breakfast was $78.01. Better choice, The Red Flame on the same block.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
IroquoisFrontDesk, Front Office Manager at The Iroquois New York, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

I'm delighted to hear that you found our location a convenience during your stay. We would like to thank you for your compliments of our hotel staff. I apologize if the restaurant wasn't to your liking , but I am glad you were able to find a satisfying alternative in the red flame diner which is conviently located a few doors down from us. We hope to welcome you back in future!!

Reviewed December 7, 2012

I arrived around 8:30 p.m., calling ahead to tell the hotel when to expect me and found no doorman and no help with luggage to unload or go up the steps with my bags. A stranger did it for me! Once checked in, an employee decided to show me to the room with me trailing along with my luggage and holding the door to the elevator for him. I finally told him to take the luggage. Once in the room I was told that I was not allowed to adjust the temperature of the room on the thermostat. When I asked about the window heating/AC unit, he proceeded to fiddle with it. I told him to be sure that it was off. He lied and said it was off. It was not off. I later had to get the engineer to turn it completely off as the prior employee had activated a timer that was cycling it on and off. There is no lighting in the closet or for that whole end of the room where I was attempting to unpack. I took the minimum out of my bag for fear of losing the other things in the dark. All wall plugs are completely filled with the hotel's stuff. I had to get down on my hands and knees to find a strip plug underneath the desk for my IPad to charge. Then I found an outlet on the side of the desk for my IPhone to charge. However, to my dismay the next morning I found that when I turned off the desk light, the desk plug also went dead and my phone did NOT charge overnight. The mattress was good and that is why this hotel received three stars instead of two. Now, the shower: I scalded my right arm turning off the shower because there are absolutely NO markings on the shower as where hot, cold or off is. I recommend that you step outside the tub/shower before turning it off and be sure not to have any part of you under the water when turning it off. There is no ventilation in the bathroom. Therefore, not only was the bathroom completely steamed, which ruined my hair, but also the bedroom windows. As to the so-called BAY window in my room: The top half of the windows is completely blacked out by the hotel eliminating half the light coming in the windows. And this room really needs more light. In addition, there are dark brown wooden shutters that cannot be lifted, only tilted that further curtail light entering this room. What a dismal swamp it is. Breakfast: there was an argument about whether or not I was allowed to order the continental breakfast, being first told no and later told yes. And then there was the issue with the eggs. Even when I told them how many minutes to boil the eggs, the cook could not do the eggs even half way cooked to wear I asked. Not a good situation, in my opinion. Sleeping: Although the mattress was comfortable, I had to wear earplugs and play a sound soother to sleep well. When the neighboring room turned on its shower, the water sound screamed and bubbled right at the headboard to my bed. I checked out in the AM for a conference, stored my luggage at the hotel and was allowed to use the gym in the late PM to change my shoes for my trip home in the early evening. I am attempting to be fair and point out the good, too. And finally, when I noted some of the deficiencies to the person who originally escorted me to my room his answer was: "It is What it is." Now that I am safely at home, I can laugh at this most ridiculous interpretation of customer service I have ever heard.

Room Tip: Do not take one of the hotel's website specials for a deluxe room unless you want the above room...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
IroquoisFrontDesk, Front Office Manager at The Iroquois New York, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2012

Thank you for sharing your experience with the Trip Advisor community; be it good or bad, feedback from our guests is always appreciated. I want to apologize for the issues you outlined in your review as this certainly is not the standard of service we strive to provide our guests, however such information provides excellent guidelines for future training.

I’m disappointed that you made no mention of these issues to me at your time of departure however you appeared to be rushed so I can understand. If you would like to go over the details of your stay more in depth please feel free to contact me directly. Thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience.

Kelli Phillips
Front Office Manager

Reviewed December 3, 2012

Our annual trip to NYC this year I selected the Iroquois - look no further - its so perfect. The friendliest staff ever. Nice size room - very clean - every night a member of staff brings you chocolates and a weather forecast for the next day. Allan the concierge is wonderful - very knowledgeable and gives his honest opinion - everwhere he suggested was great. The location is perfect and doors away is the cutest little diner that serves a great brealfast. Can't wait to go again next year. You can walk to all the great shops on Fifth - and Macy's is also not too far away.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
IroquoisFrontDesk, Front Office Manager at The Iroquois New York, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

I'm delighted our property suited your needs for your stay in New York and you found traveling around the city convenient from our location. We appreciate your feedback, I will pass on your kind words to Alan it will definitely brighten up his day! We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

I loved my stay at The Iroquois. It was convenient to lots of spots in New York City and the hotel staff was extremely nice and helpful. The elevator in the hotel is a little slow but we stayed on the 3rd floor and took the stairs. They had the best complimentary coffee in the lobby in the morning and the best hot apple cider in the evening. We hung out in the lobby and the library sipping our apple cider in the evening. It was nice to sit and talk to other people staying at the hotel. The hotel had a very home like feel and I would definitely stay there again. New York City is an amazing place. I really wish I lived there.

Room Tip: Stay on one of the lower floors so that you can take the stairs. The elevator is a little slow at t...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
IroquoisFrontDesk, Front Office Manager at The Iroquois New York, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

I'm delighted our property suited your needs for your stay in New York and found our lobby to be cozy and welcoming. We appreciate your feedback and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

The Iroquois is a beautiful hotel. I chose it because of it's location to Times Square & 5th Avenue and because it also got good reviews here. The staff were very professional and always had a smile. The room was clean and cozy. Our suite, #1000, had the most amazing view of Rockefeller Centre. Also, the windows open nice and wide, which was good because the hotel has that stuffy old hotel air, which gives it its charm but also makes it hard to sleep at night. Of course opening the window makes it louder than normal; I brought earplugs. If you are a light sleeper, BRING earplugs to New York!

My husband thought the room was a little small but I thought it was just right. When your on a quick 4 day'er, you don't spend any time in it anyway. It had a TV, dresser draws, a little fridge, a good sized bathtub shower and a desk with chair. Pretty standard.

Unfortunately, we did not eat in the hotel restaurant but a lady in the elevator told me that it was great. Within a 5 block radius there are plenty of restaurants and Irish Pubs (which happen to be my favourite!), so the hotel ammendities were not that important to me on this trip. There is a good, reasonably priced, family style restaurant at the end of the block called "the red flame". Great breakfast diner restaurant for it's price.

As I mentioned, the hotel is close to everything. Don't kid yourself though, if you are in New York to see the sights, you will be walking alot. Bring good shoes. The hotel conceirge was fabulous when it came to giving us directions, especially subway lines, so don't worry about having to navigate it all by yourself.

Thumbs up Iroquois... we will be back.

Room Tip: Again Room 1000 had a great view but it was right across from the elevator.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jenaroundtheworld
IroquoisFrontDesk, Front Office Manager at The Iroquois New York, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2012

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor! I'm pleased to hear our property fulfilled your needs while visiting New York City. Not only are the attractions in our area close by, but our central location makes travel all over the city very simple. We hope to welcome you back on a future trip!