“Happily consistent”

Ranked #39 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Ontario
“Happily consistent”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I stayed at the Iroquois exactly a year ago (coincidentally) and at the the time was thrilled to have found such a great place with (for New York) reasonable rates. I am happy to report that the love affair continues.

I was greeted upon arrival with a "welcome back" upon giving my name, by the charming and very efficient male receptionist upon check-in. The room I was given (901) felt smaller than the room my partner and I were given the year before but nonetheless it was comfortable as we remembered with all the amenities (complimentary water and chocolates) upon arrival. The wi-fi which is also included in the room rate has good and strong signal and as I was in New York on business, was greatly appreciated.

The New York Times is delivered to the room every day except for Sunday (understandably as it huge and heavy) which is how I discovered the joys of the library in the hotel where one can read it while enjoying a coffee from the complimentary coffee dispenser in the lobby. The library also has two computers for guests to use.

I must say that it's very nice to be greeted warmly by hotel staff whenever they are encountered in the hotel lobby and when one leaves or returns.

The only thing we had forgotten from our previous visit and that can be constituted as a minor criticism was that there are no ice machines on the floors and that you have to call reception to have it delivered which it is usually done very promptly, but not always. There also was no fridge but there was a mini-bar on a sensor tray on top of chest of drawers which looked ridiculous and incongruous. We did find a card that said a fridge was available if required. My partner and I laughed as we reviewed the room, as we wondered where they possibly could put a fridge in a room that was already choc-a-bloc. It would have been a lot better to get rid of the annoying sensor tray altogether with it's vastly over-priced never used contents as I or my partner were always inadvertently knocking the mini-bottles of booze down on it panicking us that we might trigger charges for stuff we didn't have.

Our room was quiet as it didn't face the street.The beds were superbly comfortable, the bathroom spotless,the water pressure and temp control perfect, though the drains in both the shower and the wash-basin took a long time to clear.

All in all another great stay and we shall definitely return.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
IroquoisFrontDesk, Front Office Manager at The Iroquois New York, responded to this review, August 19, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor, It is always a pleasure to have guests return to stay with us when they are in the city. I am happy to hear that you still found our hotel to your liking. We do offer rooms that have 2 beds such as the one you were in , with a different layout that offers slighty more room then the other. And I do see the minibar tray in the room was a slight inconvenience, it would have been our upmost pleasure to have the tray removed from the room once requested, we take great pride in fulfilling our guest needs and request. Thank you for staying with us we look forward to seeing you once again!

Assistant Front Desk Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We stayed for 10 nights recently and booked after reading positive reviews on Trip Advisor. We Had requested a room with a view if possible and they upgraded us to a room on the 10th floor with a bay window that looked out towards the Chrysler Building.

The hotel is elegantly old fashioned, and for a hotel a block away from Times Square it is very quiet. You can't hear much noise from the street (with the exception of the odd garbage truck or siren which you would hear anywhere in NY).

The rooms are not large but then most hotel rooms in NY are not big. However being so close to Times Square and several subway stations was great. You can walk to many attractions such as the Rockerfeller Centre and USS Intrepid.

The wi fi was always reliable and there is a computer in the library off the lobby that you can use if you need to print.

All the staff were great, particularly Patrick who always greeted us warmly.

We would certainly recommend this hotel for anyone wanting something quiet but close to Times Square.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Denise B
Thank you for sharing your experience on trip advisor, I'm happy to hear you decided to stay with us after reading our positive reviews and found almost everything was to your satisfaction.In New York space can be limited however we do have certain rooms that offer more space than others, if that is a request of a guest we will do our best to fulfill that need. Thank you for your recommendation, we look foward to welcoming you again!

wales 99
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Midtown manhattan is not my best location, unless proximity to times square is important. But we stayed for 4 nights in this hotel, in this small luxury hotel group member. The reception area is a bit dark and foreboding, and it didn't quite have the upmarket luxury i was expecting. But it was very quiet- unexpectedly, as we overlooked 44th street- and very comfortable. But we loved it for the concierge service. Having visited NY many times, we had a concierge who was brimming with new ideas, all of them good, and who hugely contributed to our stay. Vanessa ( and colleague Alan) organised our days to provide variety, and fun experiences, and there was always a huge queue for their time, such was the smile and the popularity.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your compliments of our concierges, both Alan and Vanessa are flattered to hear that they were able to assist you with any inquiries you had . I am sorry the lobby was not to your liking, but I am glad to hear you were able to find comfort in your room. Thank you for sharing your experience, we hope to welcome you again in the future.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 15, 2012

If you are headed to NYC, you would do well to consider a stay at The Iroquois, a boutique hotel well-located in midtown. We stayed at The Iroquois for Labour Day weekend when we were in the city to watch US Open Tennis and shop; the hotel had been recommended to us by friends who have stayed there twice before and had us sold when they told us about the Frette linens and bathrobes, Molton Brown products, convenient location (easy walk to the bustle of Times Square (where we had stayed before - W 44th St bn 5th & 6th is a much more civilized location), Grand Central Station, Lord & Taylor, Bryant Park, etc) and stellar service (Vanessa at the concierge desk was uber-helpful with restaurant reservations, directions and questions in relation to our pre-planning). We had a lovely room which was super comfy and spacious for midtown. I am a fan and am telling friends and family that The Iroquois is the place to stay in New York City!!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Carol D
IroquoisFrontDesk, Front Office Manager at The Iroquois New York, responded to this review, August 18, 2012
I'm so pleased to hear had a pleasant stay at our hotel. As we strive to provide our guests with the best service and the most comfortable stay we can offer.Vanessa is flattered to hear that she was able to assist you on making your stay with us that much more comfortable, it is certainly rewarding to hear feedback such as this. Thank you again!

Hartland, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I took my daughter to NYC for her 16th birthday and stayed at the Iroquois. The location was great! Close to shopping, times square, subway, dining, etc. The staff was more than accomodating and helpful. The room was very nice and clean - being clean is an absolute MUST!! I will definately be back to the Iroquois!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Jill S
IroquoisFrontDesk, Front Office Manager at The Iroquois New York, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
I would like to thank you for choosing to celebrate your daughter's sweet 16 with us. I am also pleased to hear that your stay went so well with us and everything was to your liking, we hope to welcome you again in the future!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Bottomline is that this is a 3-star hotel advertised as a 4-star. While the staff is generally nice and competent, the whole experience at the hotel falls short. For e.g. there is no room service on Sundays, breakfast is subpar, etc. I wont stay here again and will switch back to the Grammercy Park as my choice hotel in NYC.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
IroquoisHotel, General Manager at The Iroquois New York, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Good afternoon Brocolli

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience at the Iroquois New York. I was happy to hear you found our staff friendly and our hotel cozy. I would like to inform you that we do offer room service 24hrs a day 7 days a week and the menu is available in all of our guestrooms. Our restaurant, Triomphe, is closed for lunch and dinner service only on Sunday. Regarding your comments about our breakfast, please allow me the opportunity to speak with you personally so I can have a better understanding of your feedback. We would like another opportunity to show you the level of service we provide to all guests who choose to stay at the Iroquois, so if your travel plans have you visiting NYC in the near future, please contact me personally so I can offer you the best available rate and ensure all goes flawless with your next stay.

Robert Holmes
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed August 11, 2012

My wife and I had a very nice stay at The Iroquois from Jul. 26th to Jul. 30th.

Pros: location is excellent, a short walk to Times Square on a quiet street. We went to Radio City Music Hall for show, and to Rockefeller Centre to Top of the Rock and these were just a nice walk away. Check out Gregory's Coffee across the street, they have excellent coffee and try the pound cake, yummy! Also close to tons of restaurants close. The Red Flame Diner is a great spot for a very reasonably priced tasty bite. We went for breakfast, was very good.

Service was very good. The concierge was very helpful. We found everyone to be quite friendly and it had a personal touch.

The hotel was old in a good way, it had character and nice touches. It was very clean and quaint.

We got a competitive rate on a package deal and was satisfied with value for this property.

Cons: Our room was very small, which I understand is typical of Manhatten, however it was much smaller than another Manhatten hotel we stayed in last year. Also it had no view, just into another room's Window and a brick wall. Most disappointing was the bed, which was much shorter than standard size perhaps needed to fit into the small room. I'm well over 6 ft tall wasn't the most comfortable. Also my wife was surprised they didn't have a hairdryer, which is typically standard in most hotels.

Overall we enjoyed our stay at The Iroquois, the best points being it's location and service. I would return in a larger room with at least some view and larger bed.

Room Tip: If a view at all is important ask about this. Also would recommend trying to get a room upgrade.