“77th and Broadway -- hard to beat that.”
Review of Hotel Belleclaire

Hotel Belleclaire
Ranked #235 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Los Angeles, CA
“77th and Broadway -- hard to beat that.”
Reviewed October 28, 2010

The Belleclaire is 2 blocks from the 79th St. station on the 1 line, right around the corner from Broadway -- great shopping, good food, great access to everything in the city. It's not hopelessly noisy, and the rooms and bathrooms (I stayed in two) were a good size and quite clean. Pleasant staff, although one charged me incorrectly for a Supershuttle ride to the airport -- the problem was corrected promptly when I returned home from my trip. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank igirton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (422)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ebbw Vale, Wales.
Reviewed October 28, 2010

My major gripe about the Belleclaire was the noise level. Our first room was on Broadway and we may as well have been trying to sleep on the street. The room had an air conditioning unit wedged in under the sash window with thin perspex used on either side to fill the gaps. Thin perspex has zero sound insulation properties. The management promptly moved us to a quieter room. It was certainly quieter than the first room, because it was at the rear of the hotel. Unfortunately, all the other rooms' a/c units were banging away all night so it was pretty damned loud. Add to all this the fact that major refurbishment, involving drilling, hammering and allied loud bangage, was going on and you get the picture.

Having said all that, I must compliment the staff. Everyone was courteous, friendly and helpful. The location is also good, between the subways at 72nd and 79th, and just across the road from the fantastic Manhattan Diner, a 24-hour establishment that does room service! The rooms were clean and spacious, the bathrooms included a shower and bath.

In short, take ear plugs and enjoy!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Espoo, Finland
Reviewed October 28, 2010

I stayed at this hotel with my partner and brother in Oct 2010. We had a deluxe double room with an extra bed. It is a good hotel and I recommend it to friends too. The exterior looks very nice. Bellboy was friendly and helpful. I requested a high floor room and a street view but we got a room on the 4th floor with no view at all (instead saw a brick wall from the window). Receptionists were very friendly and attentive. They gave us tips on where to go eat etc. The room itself was a standard size, with a pretty wooden floor and a private bathroom. One of the lamps was not functioning, I called the reception and they would immediately send a guy to fix it. Very nice! There is an ice machine downstairs but could not find an ice bucket in the room (used a plastic bag). The A/C unit was loud and we could constantly hear noise/buzz from the downstairs supermarket (A/C unit I guess). The supermarket has a wonderful selection of organic foods and good sandwiches. The bed was wonderful, no bedbugs here! The room had an iron, an ironing board, and a safe. The flatscreen TV was by LG - a good one. Wireless internet connection was fantastic and we could use it at all times without interruption. There was no breakfast so we went to eateries nearby. We used the gym once, the treadmills were ok, but some machines were out of order. We were the only people I could see in the gym during our stay. During at stay the hotel was construction the floor we stayed in - a good sign - but there was some noise at daytime. One of the elevators was not functioning at all during our stay - didn't bother us though as we're sporty and went jogging to the nearby Central Park daily. The location of the hotel is excellent on Broadway and two blocks from subway. I would like to stay here again as it is a good middle class hotel with great service and a good room - but some downsides too.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
allover
Reviewed October 27, 2010

I had to stay two nights in NYC for business. I was dreading using any hotel because of the infestation of bedbugs that is all over the news. Also, whereas I'm allotted $270/night for my per diem, 95% of the hotels in Manhattan charge over $450. So, I was pleased to find a deal on this hotel in a good location, with nice looking rooms, according to the photos. Sadly, the room I thought I was paying for was not what I got. The options were two double beds or one king. I chose the King room, but the one they showed the photo of was the "superior" king, and what we got was the much smaller "deluxe" king. The room was ok. hardwood and tile (bath) floors meant no bedbugs. But, there was a noisy A/C outside our window that turned on and off every 10 minutes all night long. Then at 4:30 am the garbage trucks came down the back alley, waking us up again. The room was basically clean, the bathroom was a normal sized bathroom, but with very little counter space for toiletries. There are three tiny elevators, two of which weren't working when we arrived. (There are 11 floors!) There was a line to use the elevator, so the bellhop brought our bags up to us later, and we took the stairs to our 3rd floor room. The next day, one of the elevators was working, but they were both still a little scary to use. The closet in our room barely had space for the four suits and two coats we were wearing for work. The window a/c could really have used a cleaning, but it worked fine. The staff was friendly and helpful, but the hotel just seemed a bit run-down. Furnishings were new and modern, but several things like shutters and other wooden areas had obviously gone unpainted for years. It is ideally located, a block from the Museum of Natural History. Lots of very good restaurants nearby, especially the Manhattan Diner across the street, which is a good thing because no coffee...no coffeemaker...no way to heat water. It just seemed like they were in the middle of renovating, and left a number of things undone, or hadn't gotten to them yet. Would I stay again? Probably, if the pricing remained the same.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
San Mateo, California
Reviewed October 27, 2010

The location is great. The front desk personnel helpful but. . . The exterior and lobby gave me pause as the leaves were drifting in and the front door and lobby looked liked it could use a major overhaul or at least a good sweep and some paint. . . those first impressions do make a difference.
I took the very narrow stairs to my second floor room and opened the door to a strong odor of cleaning products. As I looked around I noticed there was just a shelf in the closet to place folded garments, I could not get the safe to work, saw paint chips, holes in the wall, an exposed radiator, an air conditioner that looked liked it might fall out the window, and furniture that should be on sale in a second hand store.
I was able to find accommendations elsewhere and was lucky enough to get a full refund from the hotel. My first night and the rest of my stay was spent at a hotel in the same neighborhood which was equally priced and was worth every penny.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank mlg67s
Dublin
Reviewed October 26, 2010

The staff were very helpfuland the room was quite nice but the shared bathroom was across a small landing, which was not, as I'd imagined between two rooms. We shared with two other rooms so you'll need your dressing gown to access the loo at night!! Only one lift was operational when we arrived(and it was a bit scary) although the other was working the next day. The proximity to so many ameneties was excellent and the prices not bad either. we asked for a kettle and received one promptly. Would stay here again. We needed to phone another couple in another hotel and staff helped us do this.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Yuma, Arizona
Reviewed October 25, 2010

I cannot say enough about this hotel. I could not have been happier with the location or the staff. This old but renovated hotel is within walking distance to Central Park and the Hudson River. Also within a block you have banks, markets, the best European bakery/deli and restaurants. The subway is within 2 blocks. If you are looking for a fancy lobby, restaurants and bars this is not the place for you, but if you are looking for a hotel that is easy to get in and out, with the most helpful staff to get you where you want to go, this is the perfect place and I look forward to staying there again.

Stayed October 2010, traveled with family