“European style hotel but without the charm or service”
Review of Hotel Belleclaire

Hotel Belleclaire
Ranked #223 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Duluth
“European style hotel but without the charm or service”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We traveled to see our daughter at Columbia university in October, and booked a room thru the university. We were given a very small but quiet room on the first floor ( the hotels second floor)that looked at a brick wall. As I was unpacking a workman appeared at the window, luckily I was not undressed, but it did startle me to see a man at the window. The hotel should at least warn guests that men may be at our window.

After unpacking we were going out to do some sightseeing, after leaving the room, my husband remembered he neglected to bring his glasses, and attempted to immediately re-enter. Our key cards did not work, we went to the front desk and were given new cards, these also did not work, an employee then went up with my husband to use his "master" key. This also did not work. They were then going to find someone to get a "hard key", we finally left handing the kettle that another employee had finally brought after several requests, (they have an in room refrigerator, but no coffee or room service until the coffee bar opens) to the front desk person attempting to enter our room and went out. My husband really didn't enjoy the museum much as he couldn't read most of it. After dinner, some 3-4 hours later, we returned, very tired after a day of air travel, and noted the kettle ( and 2 *paper* cups to use the 4 days we were at the hotel) behind the front desk. We were told the keys were now workable and accompanied by the front desk person to our room. Alas, again the keys did not work. Finally a workman came and we were able to enter. At this point my husband requested another room that we would be able to enter and exit at will. The workman said, he could fix the lock by changing the batteries!! But in the 4 hours we were gone, they did absolutely nothing to rectify the situation until our return?

We moved to a room on the floor 2, which was slightly bigger but very, very noisy. The plastic over the window (?) did little to keep out the noise. And in addition, the a/c was quite noisy. The front desk employee stated he would tell the manager about the issue, but we haven't heard anything since.
Clearly this hotel is not service oriented, no apology from anyone, including the front desk person who should have dealt with the issue immediately, no communication since.

Pros: Location.
Cons: extremely poor service, very noisy rooms, no coffee in rooms for early risers

Room Tip: Avoid low floors, Amsterdam street. Or just avoid hotel?
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
sgeres, General Manager at Hotel Belleclaire, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Duluth Bernese,

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us. Your feedback is essential to our success.

I sincerely apologize for the issues you experienced during your stay. We have shared your review with our respective departments so that the issues may be addressed accordingly.
I discussed your situation directly with my front office team. It was not our intention to ignore your situation. I hope that you would give us the opportunity to make this up to you in the future. I can be reached directly at 212-706-4469 if you would like to review this further.

Scott Geres

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed October 3, 2013

This hotel did not disappoint. The room was stylish and very clean. The glass enclosed shower was great. The only drawback was that there was hardly any counter space around the sink to place your makeup or toiletries so I always ended up placing a hand towel in the sink and then dumping all my stuff onto it. The hotel staff were always very friendly. A really nice touch to the hotel were the lemon/lime water and iced tea dispensers which were always available. Being able to bring up a glass of something to drink to our room especially at night, was a great idea and saved us from having to buy bottled water. The hotel is just a few blocks away from Central Park and Loehman's (discount clothing store). Restaurants, bars and shops are also just around the corner. We would definitely stay at Hotel Belleclaire again if we ever went back to NYC.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
North Carolina
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I just spent two nights at the Belleclaire and was thrilled with my stay. I asked for a quiet room--I was in 818, a suite, with a beautiful view of the river to the west. My room was utterly quiet--I think it's the quietest hotel room I've ever stayed in the City. The bed was wonderfully comfortable with lots of good pillows and a great mattress. The bathroom had everything I needed--a nice shower, fabulous toiletries, and a lighted magnified mirror--a must for the over 50 set!

The lobby is plain, but the front desk is warm and helpful. In the morning, a coffee bar exists and I payed a reasonable sum for a very good latte I then took back up to my room. The location is excellent. The nearest subway--two short blocks--is on the 1 line which runs the entire length of the city. I walked to excellent restaurants both Thursday and Friday nights, each within a few blocks of the Belleclaire and felt safe.

There aren't very many nice hotels on the Upper West Side so the Belleclaire was a great find. I'll be back.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms on the far left backside of the hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Oakland, CA
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I'm usually accustomed to staying at more expensive hotels for business and pleasure trips, but found the Belleclaire quite fine when an organization I was working with chose to put me up there on a recent four-night trip to NYC.

To start with, for those unfamiliar with NYC, I'll join other reviewers in confirming that the hotel's location on W. 77th St. is great. A very nice, safe neighborhood, with easy subway and walking access to many of the best parts of town.

Beyond that, I found the staff helpful and friendly. There were a couple of glitches on my first night in that neither the heat in the room nor the tv worked. When I mentioned this to a front desk staff member the next morning, she explained that the heat does not go on unless it is less than 50 degrees F outside but that they would gladly supply a space heater, which they immediately did. Perhaps it would be good for the hotel to make this clearer to arriving guests at certain times of year so that they do not waste time trying to get the radiator to turn on or sleeping in a room that was slightly too cold. Also, it took an additional reminder for me to get the tv fixed, but in the end it worked fine with a good selection of channels (though I didn't find many that were news-oriented) and on-demand selections.

My room was certainly small, but big enough for my purposes. In response to my request, the staff very nicely assigned me a very good location far from the elevators and overlooking a tree-filled area (kind of a courtyard, though not totally surrounded by the hotel itself) rather than the street. Good shower in the room. Perhaps it helped that I was at the end of a corridor, but I heard very little noise from the hallway, neighboring rooms or upstairs.

I'd noticed that a previous review complained about there being only one elevator. There actually are three, though in two different locations within the hotel.

No room service, but a nice, basic coffee bar in the lobby, with complementary newspapers as well. Sometimes a bit hard to get the attention of chatting staff at the coffee bar, but aside from that it is a good choice for a morning caffeine fix, as well as Danish, yoghurt and fruit cups, etc.

I didn't use it, but the laundry/dry cleaning service offers an option for returning clothes by 2 pm, which can come in handy for guests in NYC on business.

Some construction going on at the hotel or very nearby when I was there, but the noise didn't start until at least 8:30 am one day and 9:15 am another. Plus the noise wasn't constant. I spent a few hours one afternoon working in my room without hearing anything.

Free wifi included.

While the hotel isn't anything super-fancy, on balance I liked it a lot and would go back on a personal trip if the price is right or on a business trip if the travel budget were limited.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room that does not face the street, preferably not near the elevators and facing the...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Munster
Reviewed September 27, 2013

This was our second visit to the Belleclaire and it seemed we were given the smallest room in the hotel...completely unsuitable for a (quite expensive) 5-night stay. I wasn't overly impressed with the check-in staff. However, the following morning I asked to change, explaining it was our second visit and we were on a longer trip, and fortunately we got one that was a little bigger, just a little - from a much more pleasant man who said that no, the original one wasn't the smallest. Really? And they expect people to pay the same for a shoebox as for a bootbox? Large, comfortable bed, bathroom OK but the aircon wasn't terribly effective and a bit noisy. There is internet access in a media room but connection can be somewhat patchy. I do love the Upper West Side area and the hotel location is good : near a 1-line subway stop, broad selection of shops, diners etc. close by, but regrettably I think I won't stay here again. There is better value to be had.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MillMoo77
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I've stayed at the Belleclaire several times when visiting New York.

POSITIVES
Neighborhood: Upper West Side, accessible to transport, near Central Park, restaurants, sites.
Personality: Not a chain hotel, efforrts at décor and welcoming ambiance.

NEGATIVES
Light and noise. Room door let in light from hallway, which seemed quite bright at 3:00 am! Also noise from hallway somehow magically entered into room, again quite noisy when 3:00 am late-nighters came home. I understand the hotel can't rework design, but this bears noting, and it's a real negative.
Magnetic cards. The hotel uses magnetic cards to open doors. Despite taking care, cards end up demagnitized. When traveling with teenage children and a senior, having to wait for the lone elebvator to take us down to the lobby, then to wait for a desk person to exchange a card, then to wait to take the elevator back up ten floors, really was a negative. The hotel can update its system, and it should.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Franklin_Kildaire
United States
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Nice hotel, nice lobby. The room we had was smallish but well appointed. The Dean and DeLuca chocolate bar, pretzels and water were nice touches. The location was excellent to The Beacon Theater, Museum of Natural History, and the subway. There was a window air conditioner which we did not use. The window was not shut tightly so the elements infiltrate the room.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple