“an upper west side gem” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Belleclaire

Ranked #232 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“an upper west side gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

A friend and I made a weekend trip to the City and stayed here on a TravelZoo voucher. Had no expectations really, knew it was an older hotel, but I have to tell you I will be gladly returning on any future trip. For Manhattan the bathreoom was HUGE. The rooms were completely remodeled, clean modern, comfortable, and large. Staff were friendly. We can't wait to go back

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank callmejehu
Ana N, Sales and Marketing Coordinator at Hotel Belleclaire, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Dear callmejehu,

Fantastic! Thank you for sharing the positive review! The exceptional quality of personal service and amenities are the hotel’s signature approach. I’m pleased to read your appraisal of our team, the value, services, and the very kind remarks and recognition of our staff’s efforts. Again, we truly appreciate the positive review! We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future at the Belleclaire! Please feel free to contact me directly by calling (212) 706-4479 or email salesoffice@hotelbelleclaire.com and I will be more than happy to assist you with your travel needs.

Warm Regards,

Anna Nejasmic
Sales and Marketing Coordinator
212-706-4479 / salesoffice@hotelbelleclaire.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Albany, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

We had a great stay. The one thing that is most important to me when staying in a hotel is cleanliness. Every time I stay at the Hotel Belleclaire it's clean and comfortable. The staff is friendly and accommodating, and really do make an effort to make sure your stay is pleasant. Only place I like to stay when in New York!

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Maureen C
Washington, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

It was bright, sunny Saturday morning when I approached the front desk of the Belleclaire Hotel. My first night at the hotel was a nightmare. A very loud, persistent noise woke me up in the middle of the night. It sounded like someone was banging the building's pipes with a hammer. It was terrible. I was told by the overnight front desk that turning off the radiator would do the trick. It didn't. I never went back to sleep. A sleepless night is never a good way to start off a weekend holiday in NY.

So when I asked "Front Desk Brian" about moving me to another room, he didn't hesitate and quickly moved me to the fourth floor. It was a bigger room too w/a closet and a bureau. He apologized, too. My 2nd night at the hotel went much better. I slept soundly and there was no noise loud enough to wake me up! I thanked him when I checked out of the hotel & thankfully my weekend in NY was a success.

However, as for the hotel itself, I need to report a few things. My first room, on the 9th floor, was very small. Now, I know you get what you pay for. But this room didn't have the basics like a closet or any drawers for clothes. There was, however, a mini fridge directly in front of a hot, old-fashion radiator -- not exactly a smart thing to do. I don't know if it's considered a fire hazard. I just know I couldn't imagine doing that in my home.

As for the noisy pipes, the building is fairly old. The building is equipped with steam heat. So these pipes can be very, very noisy. I'm a dead sleeper yet the sound was just unbearable. I even used emergency ear plugs that I found in one of the side pockets of my luggage. I don't know if there were similar complaints that night nor do I know if "Front Desk Brian" or others were aware of those noisy pipes.

Another note: When I checked into the hotel Friday afternoon, the young lady at the front desk asked if I had any special requests. I replied, "I want a quiet room." Oh the irony...

Nonetheless, this is a problem that I doubt a budget hotel can fix immediately. So travelers need to decide if the low price is worth the headache. In my case, the old adage still applies. "You get what you pay for."

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank 1896traveler
Washington, DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

So I stayed at the Hotel Belleclaire for my birthday celebration. (March 3-6). We stayed in room 300 and It was relatively nice. The hotel allows you to feel as though you aren’t just a tourist, but a little piece of the neighborhood. The room and bathroom were a nice size for NY standards. The rooms were pretty clean by hotel standards. I bring all of my own cleaning supplies, sheets and pillow cases, and I am happy to report that the housekeeping’s performance was relatively good. The headboard could use some rehab, but the hardwood floors were a plus. I checked out the gym and the game room, which were on the 1st floor. Both were a nice size an added bonus if you take advantage of them. The lobby area is quite modern and nice when you enter, but the elevator is tiny. The location of the hotel was within walking distance to the subway and several restaurants and stores. The first day we spent unnecessary money taking cabs everywhere, so please take advantage of the subway. It was evident that renovations were being done. The front has a lot of scaffolding on the outside and work was being done in the lobby in the mornings. The same debris was in the hallway the entire trip. Obvious no one came to vacuum the hallway. The building is undergoing construction, but there was not much construction noise. There was a wooden box in the window sill that had tape on it, I believe to hide the AC unit and keep out the cold air. VERY tacky, but it did do the job. The room is heated by a radiator which made loud clanking noise all night long.

The staff were AMAZING! They really made the difference between this being a 3 star hotel and a 4 star in my opinion. Upon checkin we upgraded the room for $20.00 within minutes of us entering the room, the front desk called to ensure that the room was up to par. The living social deal we bought included breakfast and a welcome basket each day. The welcome basket included two bottles of water, wine and pretzels. We received the free breakfast vouchers from the hotel. Please beware that you must walk to the café up the street. It’s about a block and half away from the hotel, since the weather was nice, the walk was nice. You only get to choose from either pancakes, coffee or tea and juice OR 2 eggs, sausage or bacon and toast, coffee or tea and juice. You can pay the difference to get other options on the menu.

Overall the hotel is nice if you can get it for a good price. I am used to staying in Time Square, so would I stay here again??? Yes, but only if I could get a good deal. I prefer to be where the action is :-)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

This European style boutique hotel is conveniently located in a residential upper west side neighborhood away from the tourist crowds. Very close to Museum of Natural History, Beacon Theater, Central Park and Lincoln Center. Easy access to subway. Do not expect chain-style luxury or amenities. Clean, comfortable, small rooms, modern bath, friendly service. Some might find the rooms a bit on the noisy side.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

I had a very good time for a 24 hour stay. I was a bit nervous before the stay after reading the negative comments. But my experience was nothing but very very good. My wife and I would go back to new Manhattan next year with our family and friends and we are looking to stay at the same hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sam A A
McLean, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

We would rate this updated hotel in an older building with pleasant, renovated rooms and a creatively updated public space in the lobby as a 3 if we had had to pay the rack rate, but we found offers under $200 (including taxes) and we feel we got excellent value for our money including just the location we wanted- so it's a 4 to us.
The location on the elegant lower end of the Upper West Side puts you in walking distance of many neighborhood restaurants and famous bakeries, the Lincoln center, and great neighborhood strolls. The personnel are uniformly pleasant and competent to fix any minor glitches, make you at home, make sure you get the fresh coffee and multiple teas in the lobby.
The rooms are Manhattan small and clean but well laid out , with new entertainment technology and excellent beds. They are the rooms from which you would leave early for New York work or play and fall back into when you are ready to play your music or watch a movie for a bit before you sleep. Street noise seems well-muffled.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Meg P
Ana N, Sales and Marketing Coordinator at Hotel Belleclaire, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Dear Meg P,

Thank you for sharing the positive review! The exceptional quality of personal service and amenities are the hotel’s signature approach. I’m pleased to read your appraisal of our team, the value, services, and the very kind remarks and recognition of our staff’s efforts. It’s great to hear you took advantage of the prime, cultural location in the heart of the Upper West. Again, we truly appreciate the positive review! We hope to see you soon!

Warm Regards,