“So happy we found this place!”
Review of Hotel Belleclaire

Hotel Belleclaire
Ranked #228 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I am a frequent traveler around the world and I can be very picky when it comes to hotels but, I'm actually writing this from the room right now because I needed to share my wonderful experience at this hotel. Let me start from the beginning....as soon as we pulled up we were greeted by the wonderful staff and were given information about checking in and parking....I gave my keys to the doorman/bellboy so he could watch the car incase it needed to be moved whilst checking in. Took our bags to the room and came back down to move our car/find parking and he had actually found a parking spot directly across the street and parked it for us....amazing!!! As you know parking can be a hassle in the city but not with the Belleclaire! To add on to checking in which only took 5 minutes we were helped by friendly staff and upgraded from a king sized bed room to a suite....Free! Woo hoo! I can't even tell you all the goodies we had in our room complimentary! Comfy and cozy bed-check, clean bathroom-check, spacious for New York- check. I highly recommend this hotel...we had such an amazing time here. We will be back here for sure! They are doing renovations which I can't even imagine how much more charming this place is going to get. I wish you all safe and happy travels and a wonderful stay at the Belleclaire if you stay here =)

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Xdancer8312
Adisa F, Manager at Hotel Belleclaire, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for the excellent review of your recent visit to the Belleclaire Hotel. I am delighted to read your appraisal of our team, services and I know our staff will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts. It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality and superb service. We are looking forward to your return! If we could be of any assistance in your future plans, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at salesoffice@hotelbelleclaire.com or call (212) 706 4479.

Adisa F.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,781)

Reviewed November 13, 2012

If you're one of us that would rather commute than live in a Times Square Hotel, look no further! This hotel has everything you need, and personality, too! The rooms look just like on the website. I was there at the 2nd to worst possible time - right after Sandy (during would have been worse), and while the lobby was being renovated. Neither had a negative impact, and the latter was handled with a nice workaround: Guest lounge with coffee, tea, snacks, all the newspapers and TV upstairs near the business center and gym, open all day. There was no disturbance from the renovation either, at least not on the 8th floor where my room was.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest,
Thank you for spending the time telling us about your excellent experience at Hotel Belleclaire!
We are delightful with your comments regarding our wonderful location and amenities. I love hearing that you were able to take advantage of Belleclaire Hotel, conveniently located a few blocks from Central Park and the best museums in NY City and far from the chaos of shopping crowds in midtown. We appreciate your business and we certainly look forward to welcoming you again soon at Belleclaire. If we could be of any assistance in your future plans, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at salesoffice@hotelbelleclaire.com or call (212) 706 4479.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed at the Belleclaire while stranded in NY during Hurricane Sandy. They were fantastic, allowing early check-in, providing information on what markets and restaurants in the area
were still open.

When I had to extend my stay, they offered a reasonable rate, resisting the opportunity to
price gouge (and didn't try to pressure me to leave, as some hotels did).

When I had to get to the airport, and no taxis would go there, and most car services were
fully booked (no trains or buses were running), I was getting frantic about whether I would
be able to get to JFK. I called the front desk and they arrange a car for me (at normal, not
ripoff prices), and really relieved my mind. This was a time with MANY people in Manhattan
without power, without transportation, few working gas stations, and many other things. I will
remember the Belleclaire and will be back again. Thank you guys, for all of your help in a
difficult situation.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest,
Thank you for the excellent review of your recent visit to Hotel Belleclaire! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us during Hurricane Sandy. I am delighted to read your appraisal of our team, services and I know our staff will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality and superb service. If we could be of any assistance in your future plans, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at salesoffice@hotelbelleclaire.com or call (212) 706 4479.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

It was a relief to move to the Belleclaire after a few nights near Times Square. It's a lovely old building in a pleasant area, with rooms that have personality and style.

There are a few downsides - the street noise if you have a street facing room is extreme, the heating is either full on or full off, and the 4 different taxes added on to the bill get a bit depressing. Funnily enough, there didn't seem much connection between hotel staff and guests. Perhaps because of the lobby refurbishment.

Overall an ok experience.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Adisa F, Manager at Hotel Belleclaire, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for spending the time telling us about your experience at Hotel Belleclaire .
We are very happy with your comments regarding our location and the rooms and Yes Belleclaire Hotel is "A Classic Choice Among Boutique Hotels"! I like hearing that you were able to take advantage of Belleclaire Hotel, conveniently located a few blocks from Central Park and the best museums in NY City and far from the chaos of shopping crowds in midtown.
I am sorry that there were a few elements of your stay that you found needed improvement (the heating), and these will certainly be addressed and corrected. Our new lobby is on the final stage of construction and we look forward to welcoming you again soon at Belleclaire.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

My sister and I stayed here for a long weekend.
I went by reviews I had read on Yelp! and Trip advisor, but still wasn't sure what to expect since it was such a resonable price. We were pleasently surprised! The hotel staff was friendly and helpful. The room was comfortable and clean. There are plenty of restaurants close and the subway and buses stop within a block a two.
Although they were working on the front lobby, it was not a problem for us. We never heard any noise. I would definetly stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,
I am very happy you enjoyed your stay with us here at The Belleclaire Hotel. Thank you for your great review and your comments about the service from our staff. We are looking forward to your return! If we could be of any assistance in your future plans, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at salesoffice@hotelbelleclaire.com or call (212) 706 4479.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

We stayed here from Nov.6-8, 2012. This once-elegant mid-sized hotel (opened in 1903)has been undergoing renovations. The lobby is under construction, with a small space allotted to the reception desk. Judging by the lackadaisical pace of the workers we saw on the job, this "work in progress" could go on for months more. Our room was on a floor that had already been renovated and the surroundings were quiet. The heat still comes from an old-fashioned steam radiator. The room itself was small, the maid service worse than minimal. The hotel's uptown Broadway location is excellent: a fifteen minute walk to Columbus Circle and the Lincoln Center, near the West Side subway line and the crosstown bus, an easy walk to the Museum of Natural History and Central Park, and only two blocks from Zabar's, New York's iconic old-world delicatessen with great buys on a multitude of cheeses and coffees from all over the world, lox, smoked fish etc. Just one block north of the hotel Amsterdam Ave. offers a full and varied array of good-value restaurants.
This hoterl rests firmly in the budget category, but is worth a try if you can book it at a budget price, i.e., less than $240 a night. Unmarked taxis (all legal) wait at the door if you want to go to the one of the airports; the pricing about the same as the more ubiquitous and less comfortable yellow cabs.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Reuel-London-Canada
Reviewed November 10, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 10 days. Location was excellent and there was hot water in the shower. Room looked bare, when it got cold there was no individual heat supply and all hotel could offer was to give us a space heater. Advertised breakfast was a coffee/tea with some fruit bars. Even that was hit and miss: some days no tea some days no bars. Service in this" breakfast room" was handled by a maintenance guy!!!

I would not be writing such a review if the price was $150 a night not $300. Different expectations.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family