“Great Hotel!”

Ranked #232 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Denver, Colorado
“Great Hotel!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

My sister and I stayed here for a long weekend.
I went by reviews I had read on Yelp! and Trip advisor, but still wasn't sure what to expect since it was such a resonable price. We were pleasently surprised! The hotel staff was friendly and helpful. The room was comfortable and clean. There are plenty of restaurants close and the subway and buses stop within a block a two.
Although they were working on the front lobby, it was not a problem for us. We never heard any noise. I would definetly stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Adisa F, Manager at Hotel Belleclaire, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear Guest,
I am very happy you enjoyed your stay with us here at The Belleclaire Hotel. Thank you for your great review and your comments about the service from our staff. We are looking forward to your return! If we could be of any assistance in your future plans, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at salesoffice@hotelbelleclaire.com or call (212) 706 4479.

Warm Regards,
Adisa F.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

We stayed here from Nov.6-8, 2012. This once-elegant mid-sized hotel (opened in 1903)has been undergoing renovations. The lobby is under construction, with a small space allotted to the reception desk. Judging by the lackadaisical pace of the workers we saw on the job, this "work in progress" could go on for months more. Our room was on a floor that had already been renovated and the surroundings were quiet. The heat still comes from an old-fashioned steam radiator. The room itself was small, the maid service worse than minimal. The hotel's uptown Broadway location is excellent: a fifteen minute walk to Columbus Circle and the Lincoln Center, near the West Side subway line and the crosstown bus, an easy walk to the Museum of Natural History and Central Park, and only two blocks from Zabar's, New York's iconic old-world delicatessen with great buys on a multitude of cheeses and coffees from all over the world, lox, smoked fish etc. Just one block north of the hotel Amsterdam Ave. offers a full and varied array of good-value restaurants.
This hoterl rests firmly in the budget category, but is worth a try if you can book it at a budget price, i.e., less than $240 a night. Unmarked taxis (all legal) wait at the door if you want to go to the one of the airports; the pricing about the same as the more ubiquitous and less comfortable yellow cabs.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Reuel-London-Canada
San Francisco
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 10 days. Location was excellent and there was hot water in the shower. Room looked bare, when it got cold there was no individual heat supply and all hotel could offer was to give us a space heater. Advertised breakfast was a coffee/tea with some fruit bars. Even that was hit and miss: some days no tea some days no bars. Service in this" breakfast room" was handled by a maintenance guy!!!

I would not be writing such a review if the price was $150 a night not $300. Different expectations.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Wollongong, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

I stayed here in the middle of Hurricane Sandy and could not have chosen a more wonderful hotel. The Hotel staff were calm and efficient keeping guests up to date with what was happening. The Hotel itself was located next to a supermarket (very handy for stocking up on water and snacks in case we lost power) and a diner (Big Nicks) which was open for 23 hours a day. We did not lose power and although I was unable to do any of the visits I had planned while in New York, my stay was made comfortable by a modern, spacious and clean room (9th Floor) and I was able to keep tabs with what was happening with Sandy through in-room wifi. The Hotel is in the process of being renovated but this is not an issue as in 'normal' times you would spend very little time in your hotel. The location of this hotel is fantastic and would have been ideal had the subway been running during my visit. Central Park and the Museum of Natural History (both closed during my short visit) are within easy walking distance. For shoppers Century 21, Barneys, Zara, Gap and DSW are also close by! I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Bethpage, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

It was our 41st wedding anniversary and we usually catch a Broadway play, a very nice dinner, and some sightseeing..
I had made reservations in another hotel in the Murry Hill area, but after I checked it out a few days before, I decided $420.00 was too much for a dump, in a neighborhood like that. But now it was only a few days until our anniversary night and I found everything under $400.00 in a nice area booked.
Then I found the Belleclaire Hotel on Broadway and 77th Street, close to so many things, and the price was right. When we checked in the young man who greeted us found a parking spot right across the street in front of the hotel, and it cost nothing (except for a nice tip) and it was good for both days we stayed.
We had bicycles and the Front chearfully brough the bikes up to our room. It was a beautiful suite with 2 flat screen TV's, a comfortable couch, beautiful king bed with huge down pillows (no extra charge), chairs, dresser, desk, refridge, end tables and lamps. It had so much character with nooks and double hung windows, hardwood floors with very nice area rugs. It really felt like we were experiening all that is special about New York right in our room.
The hotel was just completely renovated from top to bottom but it was done in such a careful manner as to presearve the warmth of the building. The lobby wasn't quite finished yet but you could tell that it too would be special with hardwood paneling and wainscotting.
It wasn't until the next day that we walked outside and realized it actually was a turn of the century Broadway Hotel.
The people was so pr,ofessional but pleasant it was great.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

I stayed here with my family the four nights before they moved me into my dorm room. We had never been to New York before and were a little unsure of what to expect. We booked the hotel because of the price in comparison to the other, much pricier options so we had prepared ourselves for the tiniest room that we wouldn't want to spend much time in. The room was FANTASTIC! It was much larger than we expected and had a nice bay window to sit on. Even though it was just a window unit, the room was often cold and we turned it down after getting inside. The beds were comfortable, and the bathroom was a little on the small side but very clean and just what you need. I really appreciated the free wi-fi. The lobby was under construction but it didn't affect us at all and I believe renovations are complete now. The location is also incredible. Arriving at 12:30 a.m. starving and exhausted, it was so convenient for us to literally walk just around the corner to Nick's, a fantastic pizza, burger and basically anything else you can imagine joint. The subway station is close and major attractions are all within the distance of a short walk or a pretty cheap cab ride. Overall, I highly recommend this place. It is in a nice location, beautiful building, comfortable rooms and at a price you really can't beat in this city. When my family comes to visit me again, this is the place they will be staying.

Room Tip: The corner suites, usually the deluxe doubles, are much larger and more comfortable and are not that...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank mcmurtry8409
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

This hotel is an ideal place to stay when visiting manhattan, it's two minutes from the subway and as its on the corner of broadway there's no shortage of buses and taxis to hop on.Theres all the amenities you'll need right on your doorstep and your just a short walk for the likes of Central Park and the national museum.
Yes the lobby is undergoing renovation but this is only a very minor issue and the staff do their utmost to make sure the disruption is kept to a minimum,and anyway who goes on holiday to sit in a lobby.
The room we were given was more than adequate and was cleaned thoroughly everyday. I went with my wife and two grown up daughters and we had two double beds which I thought would cause all sort of arguments but with the good sized bathroom and a small walk in wardrobe this wasn't an issue.
The staff are all very polite and attentive and nothing seemed to much trouble for them to make sure our stay was as comfortable as possible.On the day we left we had an evening flight so the bellboy took our bags back to the room for safety and then organised a car later on to take us to the airport. A word of warning would be if you need to go to the airport between mid afternoon and the early evening, there's no chance of a taxi taking you due to the traffic....... I flagged down at least eight!
To sum up then, the Belleclaire is a well situated clean and very pleasant hotel in which to base yourself for a brilliant trip to New York . So don't go spending loads of money on what you think is a better hotel in a better location, stay here and use the savings to pay for new yorks expensive beer.

• Stayed October 2012