“Frequent business traveler - great place for us!”

6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel
Ranked #307 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Weekly traveller to NYC who initially was a 'deer in headlights' working the city - now with the help of the great staff at 6 Columbus- combined with the great location...business life in NYC is great. I dont need any more stress..enough I have to deal with TSA and body searches every week. When I finally get to 6 Columbus..they run to greet you BY NAME [sometimes I cant remember my name...how do they?] They help me find a place to eat based on my mood and my colleagues or business guests...if its raining- umbrellas for all- anything you would expect in a very pricy 4 star hotel they do it every time. I also like the way they upgrade my room if available and mix it up- also placing chocolates or last night a small cupcake. Bottom line is the people...smiles..knowledge and just great to see.

Room Tip: very accommodating if you like just a shower or need a tub, etc. I find courtesy helps...seen a lot...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I've stayed in hotels throughout Manhattan at least once a month for the past several years. 6 Columbus, by far, offers the most pleasant, comfortable, and desirable stay of all I've visited. The staff, consistently, is warm and attentive. The location speaks for itself, and with Starbucks next door, Pinkberry a few doors down, and Whole Foods across the street, I am able to enjoy a few hometown favorites in the center of Manhattan. The rooms always are clean and comfortable and are designed for the traveler, with outlets and shelves conveniently located in both the bath and bedroom. The bars on both the first floor and rooftop are comfortable places to relax and have a drink -- well-appointed without any hype. Whatever brings me to Manhattan, knowing I will spend time at 6 Columbus guarantees I will be able to relax in comfort.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 5, 2013

The staff at the hotel was extremely nice. When I first arrived at check-in, an upgrade was offered. However, since the upgrade room does not have a bathtub, i have declined it, and stayed with my original reservation. Upon entering the room, when we opened the window, we found a huge air conditional duct right outside. The room, was extremely dark, despite it being sunny outside. The layout of the room was so terrible that it there is really no room to move around, and the only place to sit is a tiny chair, or the bed. For a USD420 a night, this is not worth it at all. The room is not inviting, and after 30minutes in the room, we really did not want to stay in it. We spent 1 night there, and checked out the next day. We went to stay at the Ganvesvoort, much nicer room (one you would actually want to stay in) for about the same price.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank tissu
Kristine R, Front Office Manager at 6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Hi tissu,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't like the room you reserved. I can assure you we do have quite a few other room types (with different views) available, but it does sound like we were fully committed on the night you stayed with us. Again, my sincerest apologies-- I'd love to have the chance to redo your experience with us. Please reach out to me directly when you're planning your next trip to New York and I'd be more than happy to assist with planning your reservation.

Best,
Kristine

Kristine Richards
Front Office Manager
6 Columbus, a Thompson Hotel

Reviewed May 5, 2013

1st call I make when planning a visit to NYC. Believe this was the 5th time we stayed and once again couldn't be more pleased with staff and accommodations. Why stay anywhere else. Great location, reasonable price and a staff that makes you feel welcome. More personable than the bigger chain hotels

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Booked here through Hotel Tonight. I was given room 89, which by all accounts from their own staff is well known for generating complaints. The a/c did not work but they promised to look at it the next day, but as I was staying one night, no use to me. They suggested that I "open the windows" even though the hotel was like a sauna and due to the location the noise was horrible (and I sleep through anything!). I told them i would not pay for a sauna but they said there was no one to speak to that night.

Barely slept due to the excessive heat. Only ipeninf the frint door to create a breeze helpe but i could not leave the door ipen all night. Can you believe this is supposed to be a luxury hotel?!?

IIn the morning they said they can make no changes or discounts and said that since the hotel is prepaid with hotel tonight I would have to take it up with them. As we were leaving hotel staff said that people always complain about that room but they keep using it so I appears that they knew beforehand that there were problems with the room and expected complaints but also payment which to me seems simply unethical.

Thompson hotels should be embarrassed to claim ownership and management of this property.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I was only in New York for one night & was able to check in a couple hours early which was nice. The location is convenient - however, my room was very disappointing. Not even enough room for a desk or even a small chair --- room only big enough for a bed. Storage is underneath the bed. Minibar food was on window sill --- window looked onto huge pipe & a couple feet away a brick building so unable to even tell if sunny or cloudy out. Room lighting was dark & very loud heat/air system which was hard to regulate. There are better choices.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank SF94597
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We stayed for 5 nights and can highly recommend this hotel. We chose it as it is a small boutique hotel in a good location. Right across from Central Park, the subway and within 20 minutes walk to all the midtown attractions. We were lucky enough to be upgraded to a king room on arrival and our room was not huge but sufficient - who is in their room all day anyway. Everything was really clean and each evening we received chocolates and were asked if we needed more ice. You can head over to the Time Warner Centre across the road for coffee/breakfast in the morning. I had a credit card issue and the staff were so helpful in trying to get it sorted for me. We didn't eat at the sushi restaurant downstairs but we did have a drink in the bar - cozy, happening little place. There is also a bar on the rooftop that we went to and it was great as well.

Room Tip: Room 66 is very quiet - opens onto a side street (sort of) so no amazing view but you get a great ni...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple