6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel
Ranked #333 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed April 11, 2013

6 Columbus is part of the Thompson Hotel chain. The hotel is small, trendy yet very cozy. The location is perfect with nearby shops, 24hr pharmacy/convenience store, starbuck next store, subway stations around the corner, and huge mall across the street filled with shops, and there's even a Wholefoods that opens daily until 11pm. What can I say? Perfect location! Walking distance from great shopping areas such as madison, time square and 5th Avenue. It is also a 30mins cab ride to the Laguardia Airport.

Service was excellent. Everyone from the front desk staff, to the concierge, to the guys working at the front door - all were friendly, helpful and pleasant.

Rooms are small, but its expected - considered to be NYC standard. Clean and comfy!
I highly recommend this hotel and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,135)

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have stayed in a lot of NY hotels. Was here on business and it was close to where we needed to be. It is not a bad hotel, it is just nothing special. There are much better hotels in Manhattan. The rooms are very small. I was actually upgraded, which i was appreciative of, but the room was still smaller than others i have stayed at in New York that were standard. I would actually give it 2 1/2 stars but that is not an option.

The staff is efficient and polite and the beds were actually comfortable, although is it too much to ask for a sheet or blanket with the comforter? The location is the best. Right off Columbus Circle and near the subway stop.

The actual fixtures in the room looked worn out. My ceiling light had a piece of the fabric hanging down that needed to be glued back up. The rooms are very small, so that also means the bathroom are very small. Mirros are rather high up, and not big. So if you are a woman or shorter man you are going to have to stretch to get a good view.

And the noise. I just dont know why there has to be constant door slamming by the cleaning crew and the fellow patrons. If you are by the elevator i dont know how you would sleep. Their website advertises Kheils products, which are great, but they actually do not carry them any longer. When asked why their site said so, the front desk said "We need to get that changed on the webiste, it has been a long time since we stopped". Uh ok. Elevators took forever. Just use the stairs.

Bottom line if you dont care about sleeping late and just need to crash for a night or two, then this should do the trick. If you are there a prolonged period of time and in room often, dont bother. Much better hotels.

Tip: Ask for a room away from elevators. My co-workers had rooms next to and said it was just awful. I had one away but with the door slamming it was not much better on the morning i could sleep in.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I am often in New York, when I am not staying with friends or family I like to try hotels that have been recommended to me so we gave it a go.
Now I know rooms in the city are notoriously small and unfortunately this hotel does nothing to dispel the myth but what they lack in inches they make up for in bed comfort and location.

The reason for this trip was for a birthday party being held a few blocks away, so we wanted somewhere that was pretty close by and also not to far away from places we were keen on visiting this time round.
We arrived and checked in a few days after Hurricane Sandy and even though it was crazy in the JFK arrivals hall, once we got to Manhattan and the hotel itself, we were greeted by sharp professional staff and to bed we went.

The rooms are tiny and we didn't have the basic level one but it was ok, as very little time was going to be spent in there. The bathroom is adequate and I even managed to have a bath which sometimes in a NYC shoebox is impossible.

Due to Hurricane Sandy the bar that faces Columbus Circle and Central Park was closed, which was a little disappointing as that would have been a nice experience. We went over to the Mandarin Oriental over the street for a great high rise cocktail. Very Nice.

One odd thing was that on our floor just as you got out of the elavator, it stank of strong cheese or worse some sort of acidic sick concoction. We did mention it to reception but it was there for the entire duration of our stay.

I think I won't be staying here again as there are so many hotels to try in the city.

Room Tip: Ask for a street view.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I stayed at 6 Columbus twice in March of 2013. I thought it was great. Though the standard rooms are a bit small, the suites are spacious. The prices are also surprisingly reasonable for such a stylish hotel in the city. The location of 6 Columbus is fabulous. It's right on Columbus Circle, steps away from Central Park. It's across the street from the Time Warner Center (which has a Whole Foods, plus a whole mall), next door to a Starbucks, and 2 doors down from a Duane Reade, so everything you need is just steps from your front door. The sushi restaurant in the hotel is amazing as well. However, what makes 6 Columbus most special is its staff. Everyone is extremely friendly and very helpful. Linda and Adriana at the front desk were particularly great, as was the concierge, all of the doormen, and the bell hop. Whenever I go back to NY in the future, I will be staying here!

Room Tip: Penthouse loft was amazing!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Kristine R, Front Office Manager at 6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Dear Shani,

Thank you so much for your positive feedback! I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us-- both times! We really do appreciate your loyalty & I'm so delighted that Linda, Adriana, and our whole team could make your experience with us memorable.

For future visits, please contact us directly and I can assure you my team will offer you the best rate available. We look forward to welcoming you back soon-- and in the interim, please feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter for upcoming special offers.

Kind Regards,
Kristine Richards
Front Office Manager
6 Columbus

Reviewed April 2, 2013

When I arrived I noticed the outer glass of the windows were broken and let the front desk know. They immediately sent someone to check it out, offered me a different room and even called up after I was settled to offer me a free breakfast (didn't use it since my days were packed but it was a nice gesture). This pretty much sums up the level of care and service and would have earned the hotel a much higher rating but I felt like some of the details were overlooked.

There was a bit of mildew in the shower, I couldn't change the level of the heater on the bathroom floor, the phone was missing the paper that indicated which button was for the front desk, etc, the room was a pit of death for cell phone service, and on my last morning the hallway wreaked of vomit.

Many in my company use this hotel on a regular basis and have never had any issues so I will be giving them another chance and chalk my experience up to just being a one-off.

Dear Steph,

Thank you for sharing your candid feedback. Please accept my sincerest apologies for any inconveniences you encountered during your stay with us; this does not by any means represent the standards Thompson Hotels are known for. Thank you for giving us the benefit of the doubt-- I can assure you this isn't the norm for 6 Columbus, as I hope your colleagues expressed to you as well.

I am confident that we can provide you with an amazing stay in the future and we hope to have the privilege of welcoming you back. Please contact me directly should you wish to stay with us again and I will be more than pleased to assist you.

Kind Regards,
Kristine Richards
Front Office Manager
6 Columbus

Reviewed April 1, 2013

I preface this in all my reviews: I am a consummate traveller, spending over 200 nights a year on the road and staying in over 100 different hotels each year. I have stayed in over 1,000 hotels in my life, everything from high end chains to boutiques, so I have a good baseline and realistic expectations for a hotel.

The pro's: staff was friendly and attentive, nice clean rooms is a good location.

The con's: as is typical in NYC, the rooms can be a bit on the small side. The design is a bit dated, almost retro, but not quite. The first room I had didn't have a desk in it (a hotel room without a desk? even budget hotels have desks) so that was disappointing, they did however move me into a room that had a desk once it became available.

In summary, this is a decent hotel and I'd have no problem staying here again. In that price range, there are other hotels I like a bit more, but the location of this hotel is quite nice and the staff were great and accommodating.

1  Thank Zito Z
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I have been staying at this charming place, on and off, since its opening. I am a business traveler and appreciate the central location, proximity to the subway and a panoply of good, well-priced restaurants. The rooms I stay in are sometimes spacious, sometimes not, but always tastefully appointed, quiet and clean and many steps above pleasant.
Most importantly, the service staff here go out of your way to make your stay flawless and enjoyable. Need an umbrella? They have many to share. A cab? Relax and let them handle it.
This is not an industrial-sized facility with cab-lines and long waits for the bell staff.
May I also say that the sushi restaurant, just steps from the cozy lobby, is excellent and a nice spot for a glass of wine and friendly conversation before calling it an evening.
I highly recommended this hotel.