“Very good service and comfort”

6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel
Ranked #339 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed here at the end of a business trip with the whole family. Upon arrival the front desk upgraded us to a much larger suite, which was unexpected, but much appreciated with two little kids in tow for this trip. The room was spacious, clean, with nice amenities, modern design and furniture. I had to contact the front desk when I discovered a bunch of cigarette butts at the bottom of a small decorative vase next to our bed (this was a non-smoking room and any cleaning person would have been unable to notice them through the opaque glass). I called the front desk who were very apologetic and just placed the vase in the hallway. Two minutes later a manager was gently knocking on our door to apologize profusely and offer us some complimentary drinks at the bar. A nice gesture, which showed this hotel's commitment to customer service. A very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,148)

Reviewed February 25, 2013

For the money, this hotel could not be beat. We had an excellent two night stay here over a weekend. The staff was fantastic (special props to Peter at the door and Carolina at the concierge desk). Polite, pleasant and helpful without being officious - my idea of perfect service.

Room was small but clean. I'm not the kind of person who spends alot of time in their hotel room when I'm travelling. I look for a clean place to stay in a good location with comfortable beds at a decent price. This hotel is the whole package.

We were on the 7th floor facing 58th so we had no noise issues from the traffic (king deluxe). I will agree with some reviewers that the HVAC system is noisy but we turned off the fan and slept like babies. Water pressure in the shower was incredible and well appreciated after a day of tromping through Central Park in the rain. This will definitely be my go-to place for future trips.

There was a slight "stale cigarette" smell in the bathroom in the mornings - just enough to be unpleasant. It was gone by the time we got back at the end of the day so we're not too sure where it came from and it was more of a momentary irritation than anything else. All else was fantastic. (Did I mention how great Peter was?)

Room Tip: 7th floor facing 58th Street - It was a King Deluxe - we had enough room to move around and the bath...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 19, 2013

The room was tiny--supposed to be 300 sq feet, but at least 50 ft were wasted in the entry way. The closet was ridiculously small & inconvenient. The electrical outlets were old & not working properly- couldn't get a proper charge on my IPad and the super mini hairdryer (provided by the hotel) over-heated multiple times and thus barely dried my hair. There was a hole in the worn out carpet. The shower created a puddle on the floor after each use. The hotel claimed to have Frette linens & Kiehl bath products, yet never saw them. Worst problems: extremely loud heater & very loud HVAC system outside our tiny window. When I asked for a new room, I was told all rooms are like this, unless I want a smoking room. Since when are smoking rooms still available in major US cities? A huge disappointment and not what one expects from the Thompson brand.

Room Tip: Avoid interior facing rooms that have extremely loud HVAC systems that not only block any potential...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DMLM
Kristine R, Front Office Manager at 6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Dear DMLM,

Thank you for sharing your candid feedback. Please accept my sincerest apologies for any inconveniences you encountered during your stay with us-- this does not by any means represent the standards Thompson Hotels are known for. I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed by the size of the room you reserved. I have looked up your reservation and see that we were fully committed on the nights you stayed; this would be why my team was unable to extend a complimentary upgrade to an alternate room category. Please note that we do, indeed, have a variety of larger rooms and suites (also with different layouts) that may be more to your liking.

I am truly confident that we can provide you with a great stay in the future and we hope to have the privilege of welcoming you back. I would like to invite you to contact me directly should you wish to stay with us again and I will be more than pleased to assist you.

Kind Regards,
6 Columbus

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Everything about the hotel was great - room, staff, etc.
I was not expecting amenities like the heated bathroom tile but it was much appreciated.
Linda at the front desk was pleasant and very accommodating.
Will definitely be staying here again.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear socalmav,

It was very nice of you to pass along such wonderful comments regarding your recent stay. I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay & that our team (especially Linda) could make it memorable for you. Thank you for the thoughtful review and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Best,
Kristine

6 Columbus, a Thompson Hotel

Reviewed January 24, 2013

My husband and I spent last Saturday night in NYC and I was looking for a hotel with good reviews in a good location. We had tickets to a Broadway show on Saturday night and also planned to do brunch with family on the UWS. 6 Columbus was a perfect choice. We wanted a hotel with character but without a noisy club atmosphere. The hotel is located on 58th street right near Columbus Circle. It was a 10 minute walk down to 44th street for the play and dinner in the theatre district. On Saturday we had brunch and then walked through Central Park over to the museums. Very easy to get everywhere we wanted to go. The room was clean and comfortable. However the rooms are small. Loved the radiant heat in the bathroom. The staff was truly excellent!!!! Very pleasant, helpful, and friendly. Parking was a breeze. Used the valet service and the cost was $45 which I thought was reasonable for the area. The valet\door\bell staff took care of parking the car which made check in easy. Shower had great pressure and amenities were nice . The hotel was quiet and we had no problems with noise. I would recommend as long as you do not mind a room on the small side.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DWfromNY
Reviewed January 23, 2013

NYC is the greatest city in the world, and what a better place to dial down than 6 Columbus. It's botique, so everything is easy. I travel frequently to NYC, and 6 Columbus is the full package. As others have stated, Great location, Great service, and well priced. The vibe is right, and everyone who works there 'delivers' in a sincere fashion vs. trying to hard/overcoached. LOVE the 6 Columbus../I want to live there!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank mpascale
Reviewed January 21, 2013

True, the rooms are reasonably priced for the Columbus Circle location, but beware which room you request and/or are assigned. We stayed here while in town for the birthday of a friend and chose this hotel because the dinner party held was across the street. We reserved a queen superior room for a very good rate $175, but even for New York it was TINY! Can I emphasize tiny. I can't imagine how anyone could manage in the even smaller pod room.

However it was not the small room size that was per se horrible. The room completely reaked of cigarette smoke (to the point I was having asthma like symptoms), dark, dingy, and the only window that opened was to the inside vent shaft which was full of pigeon sh** and looked directly into the room of a naked, oversized man doing horrible things to himself. I am traumatized...but I digress.

My husband called down and begged for us to be afforded another room. Management refused. We tolerated this room for a bit, but after another hour of us not being able to walk to the bathroom or the closet without stepping on each other, and my having an asthma attack from the smoke, my husband went down to check us out. At this point the manager offered us a Suite on the third floor which overlooked Columbus, the Galleria and voila, my memory of the creepy oversized naked man and pigeon doo doo wafted away into the air like New York sewer steam.

God I love New York....

But again, I digress...the suite was bright, airy, spacious, which a comfortable bed, gorgeous bathroom, separate living room and although noisy being on the third floor and overlooking Columbus...was terrific.

So - unless you book a room with a window that actually opens to fresh air or a room large enough for you and your partner...look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Choose rooms that have windows to the street, not the vent shaft! Beware Pod and superior rooms are...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Alicia Z
Kristine R, Front Office Manager at 6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Dear Alicia,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am so sorry to hear that your room was not what you had expected. I pulled up your reservation in our system and found that unfortunately we were fully committed on the evening you stayed with us-- so my team had few options to relocate you to. I am glad to hear we were able to find a great suite for you in the end. I am confident that we can provide you with a remarkable stay in the future and we hope to have the privilege of serving you again. I would like to invite you to contact me directly and I would be more than happy to assist with booking your next stay.

Kind Regards,