“Perfect Location, Great Staff”

6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel
Ranked #300 of 467 Hotels in New York City
around
“Perfect Location, Great Staff”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

First of all, the location couldn't be better - Five minute walk to the opera, ten-fifteen minute walk to Broadway shows and restaurants, across the street from from several subway lines, diagonally adjacent to Central Park.

I paid twice as much for a smaller room at the Essex House last time I was in NY (Essex had a park view, but having done that before, I don't feel the need for that expense any more - especially since I'm out and about most of the time anyway). Plus, 6 Columbus felt more personal than Essex, because the staff was very friendly and helpful. I had a King Deluxe room which had a nice big window at the front of the hotel. I pre-paid to save a little money.

I will stay here next visit!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed October 4, 2012

from the first phone call my experience with 6 Columbus was more than a pleasant one. They gave great suggestions of dining places and did something a little extra each day to make the experience personal. the rooms where very nice and surprisingly very big. thanks Daniel for providing a great experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Kristine R, Front Office Manager at 6 Columbus - A SIXTY Hotel, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear Mark,

Thank you for the excellent feedback. I'm happy that our team could provide you such a great experience from start to finish. I will definitely ensure they hear your kind words.

Please feel free to reach out to me directly in order to plan your next visit to New York-- I'd love to assist.

Sandy Springs, Georgia
Reviewed October 3, 2012

BE FOREWARNED: 6 COLUMBUS IS NOT ON COLUMBUS CIRCLE, JUST CLOSE TO IT. Its actually on 58th which can be confusing for people who you tell to meet you there.

I was recently at a W hotel which has improved upon the idea of boutique (see review of W in Boston). The reason for staying at 6 Columbus is its location. It is a typical boutique in style, which is dark, contemporary and lively, with an overall modern feel. I have been in some boutique hotels that have small rooms, yet they were very functional. I was in room 66 and it was small and very non-functional, Poor task and room lighting, a desk that is unusable and a bed that is sufficient, but with lousy pillows.

Room: The room is cramped in a NY style kind of way. It has adequate power outlets. The TV was just okay with a poor selection of channels. There is sufficient (barely) storage, but it would be inadequate for two people. The view is not much to talk about. There is a desk with very poor task lighting and the windows let in very little light. The worst part is that to use the desk you have to sit on the bed and have your laptop sit in the drawer. It is simply unacceptable. The bathroom is small, but otherwise adequate.

Location: If you are not staying at this hotel for location then don't stay there. The hotel’s location is near Columbus Circle a block from Central Park.

Food: I only had a snack at the bar, but having stayed and dined at this hotel previously I was pleased with the food. The bar is small, but very lively and overall enjoyable. The menu is not expansive and is Asian in nature.r

Hotel Overall: The lobby is small, but has a nice seating area. The staff is young and friendly. I have stayed at other Thompson hotels and have found them to be better choices than 6 Columbus, though the location is hard to beat. For the money, if you don't have to have a boutique hotel i would recommend staying at the Le Meridien which is nearby. The money is about the same on many days and the experience is a lot better.

Room Tip: we had about 8 rooms overall and none of us liked any of the rooms. Skip the king and get a room wi...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Stacey S,

Thank you for your honest critique. I'm sorry to hear that you did not enjoy our hotel. In the future please let us know immediately when you experience any issues, so we can promptly resolve any problems and you can enjoy the rest of your stay with us. Please rest assured that guest satisfaction is our highest priority at 6 Columbus. We do, as you said, have a great location-- and should you wish to enjoy our location again and give us another try, I'm confident that we can find a room or suite that has a layout more to your liking. We do offer a variety of options throughout the hotel, and I would be happy to personally give you a tour so we can find the one best for you.

Please feel free to contact me directly in case I can be of any assistance to you.

New York
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Stayed here for 6 nights. First night I had some issues with noise, I spoke with Adriana at the front desk and she graciously arranged to have me upgraded to a King Suite which was quieter (and larger) than my original room. The doors do tend to slam shut so you can hear some sporadic noise in the hallway. Overall, I had a great stay. The staff was always friendly and welcoming. The rooms do tend to be on the smaller side and a bit darker but it fits the hip-boutique-vibe. I tried out Blue Ribbon and the sushi was fresh and the staff were also great even though they were rather busy for a Thursday night. I've been to the original location in Soho years ago and didn't realize they opened up a sister location. And, if you're a tourist: the location can't be beat. It's right near a major hub of subway lines, Central Park and walking distance to midtown east.

Room Tip: Try and get a room away from the elevators if you're particular to noise.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Schilde, Belgium
Reviewed September 27, 2012

When we arrived in 6 Columbus, we definitely felt the enthusiasm of the personnel (who were all very friendly). Very professional assistance at the reception for our room, questions and tips & tricks to do around in the Big Apple!

During our stay our room was always very clean and if there was a small problem with the ventilation, it was directly taken care of! And I mean by that: within 5 min. it was fixed - very good assistance and cooperation between reception and engineer!

We twice took breakfast and that was really good, lots of choice and very good quality of the ingredients!

The doormen are also very friendly and were always able to provide you with assistance if needed!

For business or for leisure, this is your location at New York. Close by metro-station (Columbus Circle), shopping locations (shopping mall across the street, walking distance to 5th, Broadway around the corner...), and very good service overall!

New York City, New York
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I had a wonderful 1-night stay at 6 Columbus. I booked the room on the day-of using the Hotel Tonight app, and the value for the money ($145 for a pod room) was fantastic.

Check-in was a breeze - the bellman and front desk staff were friendly and efficient. I dropped my bag in the room, which was small but clean and cozy with a future-retro vibe, then headed back downstairs for dinner in the lobby restaurant, Blue Ribbon Sushi. The food was excellent, authentic Japanese cuisine.

Back in my hotel room, the bed was comfortable, the bathroom tiled floor was heated, and the mini-bar was well stocked with quality snacks (including Dean & Deluca!), drinks, and other items. Water pressure in the shower was excellent. However, there was no iron or hair dryer in the room, and although there was soap, shampoo and conditioner in the shower, there wasn't any body lotion. The room got warm at night, and I couldn't find a thermostat to adjust the temperature. I had to open the window, which faced another building only several feet away.

In the morning, there was a New York Times at my door, and check-out was a breeze.

Fishkill, New York, United States
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Great location, rooms are very clean, a bit small but larger then some hotels we have
stayed in Manhattan. The bar was bustling, bartender was awesome, the sushi was
excellent, best we have had in a long time. Will definately stay again!

Dear Donna G,

I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! Blue Ribbon, our lobby restaurant, is a great part of our guest experience, and I'm glad you had a chance to try them. Thank you for your kind words & this great review.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon!