Washington Square Hotel
Hotel Belleclaire(New York City)(Great Value!)
$189
$179
  • Fitness center
Hotel Edison Times Square(New York City)
$311
$174
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Fitness center
The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$269
  • Room Service
The Westin New York Grand Central(New York City)(Great Value!)
$246
$231
  • Room Service
Millennium Broadway New York Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
$343
$188
$458
$359
Marriott Hotels
  • Room Service
YOTEL New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
$189
$134
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan(New York City)(Great Value!)
$235
$195
CrownePlaza.com
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Park Central Hotel New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
$178
$142
Park Central
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Fitness center
Blue Moon Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$263
$150
  • Breakfast included
1,541 results
All reviewsgreenwich villagewaverly placecontinental breakfastbob dylanbagelsgreat locationnew yorkrooms are smallart decofresh fruitdeluxe roomboutique hotelbrick wallaround the cornerlower manhattanstreet noisesubway station
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 6, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the Washington Square Hotel and thoroughly enjoyed our experience. When we arrived on a Saturday about 6:00 p.m., they did not have the king deluxe room we reserved available (there was a problem with the bathroom). They offered us a queen room for the night with the promise to move us to the king room the next day. My husband asked if they could move us to an executive king because of the inconvenience and while they had none of those available, they offered to move us to the penthouse level for the last two nights of our stay. We had the grand tour -- from the smallish queen room that looked out on an airshaft to a nice sized king room with a view to the penthouse level -- a huge room with windows on three sides and a view of the Empire State building. Every time we interacted with someone at the front desk because of all our switching around, they knew exactly what the plan was and couldn't have been nicer. There is always a greeter on hand who was exceptionally friendly as well. All the rooms were clean; the location is fantastic and the hotel is filled with history -- everyone from Bob Dylan to Ernest Hemingway has stayed there. The breakfast worked just fine for us (we didn't want a huge breakfast to start our day) though the breakfast room is a little crowded. They do have take away bags so we could have taken food to our room if we needed to.

We would love to go back and will remember this hotel the next time we travel to New York City.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Amy A
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights from August 1-2. I arrived in the pouring rain and an hour early for check-in, but the staff was quick to get me settled, and everyone I encountered from the front desk to the lobby was very helpful and polite. My room was situated on the 7th floor (interior room, no exterior or window views), and when I arrived I found it to be quite small, but certainly suitable for my needs. My main concern was cleanliness, and the room had plenty of that. The bathroom was also a nice size and was equally as clean. Even though I wasn't traveling for business, I had brought along my laptop and was happy to find not only a free wireless connection, but also a very quick one (trust me, this makes things so much easier when you're trying to google search places in the city you need to visit, and directions on how to get there!).
I also liked that the room had a small office-style chair next to the bed, as I used it to place belongings on so that I didn't have to put them on the floor, and could also use the chair when I wanted to type on my laptop on the bedside table. I also liked that I could fit most of my clothes on hangers in the closet, and that there was also a tucked-away hair dryer, robe and other small amenities such as extra cups on the bathroom sink.

The hotel is in a convenient location -- one block to a subway stop -- and near some of the best convenient snack stops in SoHo (tip: check out Bleecker Street for Molly's Cupcakes, David's Tea, the Bleecker Street Bakery, and several other cafes and coffee shops). I suspect that being right at the heart of NYU had something to do with so many convenient eateries in the area, but it was nice that they were all within comfortable walking distance to the hotel.

Rating the hotel four out of five stars because the "free breakfast" was the only disappointment. Maybe it was because breakfast was really crowded, but pickings were slim: baby bite-sized corn muffins, half-cut bagels with no cream cheese or even silverware nearby to spread any toppings on them, cold cereal and fruit that was laying in a silver pan (I couldn't have the fruit due to allergy, so that eliminated one option for me). The only beverage that was out was orange juice, and I heard a few people around commenting that they couldn't get a cup of coffee (not sure if it had run out or there wasn't any). Regardless, the dining space was crowded and inefficiently laid out for so many people walking around trying to get food. And as a result of that, there was food being dropped and dirty dishes stacking up. Even though the thought of a free breakfast is appealing, you can skip getting it here and run the 2 blocks to any little cafe or even Starbucks, and get something more appealing in a cleaner place.

I would return to this hotel for sure, for the value. There was literally no noise at night and the beds are nice and comfortable.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank shannymo88
Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

My 17 yr. old daughter and I stayed at WSH for 4 nights. It was a perfect location for us to walk, take the subway (1 blk. away) or catch a cab. The staff was VERY friendly and helpful! Our room/bathroom was a good size for the 2 of us. It was very quiet. We really enjoyed the WS park across the street to sit and have a snack. The only problem i found was that the small room was overcrowded so we went to Caffe Reggio down the street which was AWESOME!! I would definatly stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank lilldoberman
Reviewed July 30, 2013

This was my third trip to NYC, and not a fan of large hotels, I was delighted to find this little gem in my favourite part of the city.

The owners have thought of everything. Despite the compact room (which I expected and find signature NY), everything was there literally at your fingertips, including fluffy robes and a thoughtful umbrella. The room was spotless, the bed comfortable and the vanity 'desk' with wi/fi appreciated. The air conditioning was blissful in the heat wave that week, my internal room on the eighth floor pin-drip quiet and the mostly French guests gave it an international feel. The service was delightful. Ronnie was particularly helpful. On my last day I was hoping to grab a cappuccino before leaving for the airport. Ronnie co-ordinated the driver so I could have time, even coming to fetch me from Joe's when the car arrived.

The hotel location is sublime. Right across from the Hanging Oak in Washington Square Park, I could have claimed that corner table in the Four Square restaurant and happily sat there all day, watching the passers-by as I did some work.

My only regret: I should have asked for a different pillow. A small inconvenience in a stay where I felt very much at home and am already looking forward to my next visit. Actually that's my second. A couple of extra days would have been nice.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank EllyT360
Reviewed July 27, 2013

My daughter and I spent 6 nights here in July during the worst heat spell in history with most days mid to upper 90's (one day at 100 degrees) in addition to being very humid. Not my favorite weather, but we were very happy with this hotel! We were given a room on the first floor which meant we never had to use an elevator, yay! Our room, 128, was up a few steps and down a hallway in what seemed to be a newer section of the hotel? In any event, the room was completely modernized in a Hollywood theme with framed photos of Hollywood stars on the walls. My biggest concern in the terrible heat was whether the air conditioning would work well and I am happy to report that the Mitsubishi wall mounted, modern unit worked like a charm. It was not as noisy as a window unit and faithfully kept our room at the temperature we set. I love when a hotel has good air conditioning where you can set the thermostat and it actually works! Although I feared a first floor room because of potential noise, this room was on a side street and the entire neighborhood is a "quiet zone" with signs posted to keep noise down. I am a light sleeper and was not bothered by any noise from the street.

The bedroom area had two platform beds with modern linens. The beds were very comfortable and my hips that give me trouble at home, never hurt while sleeping in these beds. There was a granite "desk" with leather box chair that I found handy to do some work. There was a single-cup Keurig coffee/tea machine and about 8 k-cups of tea and coffee were offered for free use every day. The closet was tiny, but there were drawers to unpack your clothes if you wanted. The bedroom had a nice LG flat-screen TV, but we mainly watched a few shows on my daughter's iPad. It would have been much more convenient if the room had a mini-frig. I was on my own during the day while my daughter attended classes and rather than eat out by myself, would have appreciated being able to keep a few food items in a frig. There are plenty of little grocery stores in walking distance that had some good food, but we had no way to keep food fresh.

The bathroom was adequate, although a bit dated and naturally small (it's New York City after all and space is at a premium). I do believe there are larger rooms available for people that insist on more room. I would say the bathroom could use some modernizing and it had a tiny wastebasket, but I really would not complain about this. Plenty of lush towels, soaps and shampoos are offered, as well as a blow dryer. I was not in NYC to hang out in the bathroom after all!

There is a small work-out room that included several treadmills, and exercise bike and weights. I had a good work out and no one was in there while I did my thing....Several members of the friendly staff would always offer me cold ice water with lemon in the lounge area. It was much appreciated!

The staff was super nice the entire time we were there. One staff member in particular, Shelby, saw me taking a picture of my daughter in front of the hotel, and came out and offered to take some photos of us together. I really appreciated that since I am usually taking the pictures and am never in them. Thank you Shelby!

The hotel is located across the street from Washington Square Park. It's a gorgeous park complete with flowers, a water fountain, a gorgeous arch, statues, grass and benches to people watch. While we were there, we noticed a sign in from of the hotel saying they were going to film an episode of "Elementary" starring Lucy Liu in the park the next day. While my daughter was at class, I hung around the park and sure enough, there she was, standing nearby. I was able to take a few pictures of her before being yelled at by her production staff. Sorry, it was just so exciting! It was so cool watching a TV show being filmed and I had no idea all the incredible work that goes into just one scene. Very time consuming and the poor extras had to brave all that heat while they did take after take...

I felt very safe in the hotel's neighborhood whether in Washington Park or exploring in all directions. I was a lone female walking miles and miles each day and felt very comfortable in my surroundings. I walked to Soho each day by cutting through the park and walking through the campus of New York University. I walked up 5th Avenue from Waverly Place all the way to Madison Square Park on W. 23rd Street. It's also easy to walk up University Place to Union Square Park on W. 14th Street. There were subway stops nearby for those of you who wanted to venture further away. Also very easy to have the hotel call you a taxi right out front. I really loved just walking and exploring the neighborhood. The homes were magnificent.

The hotel offers a complimentary continental breakfast with cereal, bagels, coffee, and the like, but my daughter had to get to class early. Breakfast started at 7:30 which would have made us too rushed. We tried the hotel breakfast the first morning, but neither of us eat any wheat and had to order off the menu for regular price. My smoked salmon was delicious but we felt too much pressure to hurry so the next morning, we walked one block to 6th Avenue and had a reasonable breakfast at Waverly Place Diner-- 3 eggs, bacon and hash browns for $8.95--cheap in New York City!

All in all, this was a gem of a hotel. I've stayed many times in the Times Square area at the huge hotels, and while that was fun, this was much more relaxing. It was one of the hotels recommended to me by the New York Film Academy as a place to stay while my daughter did a one-week class with them. Her class was in Soho on Broadway and about a 10-15 minute walk. I would definitely stay again at this hotel in the future if she ever does another class in this part of New York City.

Room Tip: Room 128 had two double beds and was modern. We had a newer Mitsubishi wall air-conditioner, intend of some of the other rooms that had window units . Our AC was fairly quiet in comparison and worked great in a brutal heat wave. Our room on that hallway was quiet--we were not bothered by outside noise. We liked that we did not have to use an elevator since neither of us likes them!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family