“Perfect location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Washington Square Hotel

Washington Square Hotel
Ranked #160 of 467 Hotels in New York City

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

I stayed here for a business trip and found this hotel to fit the bill exactly. It was very well located, the staff were helpful and the room was comfortable and quiet. Yes, the room was small, but I wasn't entertaining in there, just sleeping. The doorman was super nice and very helpful. It was close to the subway. it was expensive by normal standards, but by NY standards, it was actually quite affordable compared to others. I would definitely recommend it to others.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

I will first start off by saying that this hotel is in the perfect location. I love the village area and if you do too then by all means stay here. With that being said here is the downside, the rooms are crazy small. I know, I know it's Manhattan it's to be expected which I was expecting but I didn't expect it to be that small. Then there is the issue with the bed, king size bed ( who doesn't love that) but it was like sleeping on a cement block, I actually had to use the pillows as some sort of cushioning and got zero sleep that night because of the bed being that hard. The room itself is very very clean which is a plus. The bathroom was small but clean so who can complain about that. I really wanted to love this hotel and make it my go-to place when I stay in the village unfortunately I'm going to have to look somewhere else. Sleep quality is important to me and Washington Square just wasn't cutting it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TravelNomad_80
abukala, Manager at Washington Square Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Danni0713,
Thank you for your recent review of our property. We really appreciate your comments.
We are a historic building and many of our rooms are smaller than those in newly constructed hotels.
I am disappointed to hear about the uncomfortable bed. Many of our mattresses are new and could account for the hardness you experienced. I am sorry you had a sleepless night.
I would like to apologize for not meeting your expectations and do hope you give us another chance. Please contact me directly should you decide to try our property again.
Agnes Bukala
Milwaukee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

This hotel reminded me of the many hotels in which we have stayed in Europe. Rooms and elevators are small and parts of it need remodeling. To me that is part of its charm and it is certainly not a cookie cutter chain-style hotel. We found the staff to be very helpful with directions, restaurant suggestions, and even let us check out later because we were on a tour of NYU. The proximity to NYU cannot be beat. We liked the quiet neighborhood feel of the area. It is nicely placed north of the financial district, on the edge of Greenwich Village, and south of Times Square, Central Park, etc. The room rates are very steep but we were expecting this in NYC. The continental breakfast selection is small but adequate. We stayed in a room abutting the elevator which did not bother me but did bother the sleep of another in our party.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevator.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

This could be a really good hotel if it was given a much needed facelift. The art deco interior is tired and dreary. A revamp would do wonders for the common areas which are quite dark and don't make you want to hang around. The rooms are surprisingly small considering a "Deluxe Queen" room costs more than $300 a night. Yes the location is great but you should get a lot more for this kind of money. Check in time is 3pm but we were only given the keys at 5.40pm. After a transatlantic flight this was not the welcome we expected. All we wanted was a shower and change of clothes. When I asked the reason for the delay I was told that the housekeeping staff are elderly! What hotel management school did this receptionist graduate from? Small spillages in the coffee machine and bathroom remained uncleaned throughout our stay. I would not recommend this hotel and would not stay there again

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TadhgandMaya
Dear TadhgandMaya,
Thank you for your feedback.
I appreciate the time you've taken to explain the issues that have occurred recently.
I am very sorry to hear about your experience.
We regularly recondition and update our rooms and public areas to deal with sustainability issues.
I'm sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations.
Because we are a historic building, our rooms tend to be on the smaller side. We have larger rooms available upon request and availability.
Check-in starts at 3 pm and it is our priority to make sure no guest has to wait long for their room. I apologize for the wait but can assure you the age of our room attendants was not the reason.
Once again, I sincerely apologize for these inconveniences, and would welcome another opportunity to have you as our guest.
Memphis, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

We stayed here for graduation at NYU for four nights in May. The location is the best asset this hotel has. And a wonderful security/bellman/greeter during the weekdays. This hotel is just adequate. It is clean but needs updating. The front desk was nice but not overly helpful. The
rooms are very small but the bed is very comfortable with nice linens. We just didn't get a warm,
fuzzy feeling in this hotel. We went to breakfast 10 minutes before closing time and the lady
who greeted us was obviously not pleased with our timing. No smile from any employee cleaning up the breakfast area. We didn't go back. The breakfast choices are not great, so we didn't go back. Probably won't ever stay here again. Expensive considering what you get.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cooksief
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

This a great hotel with an art deco feel and ambience. Rooms are small but the location more than makes up for that. A cold buffet breakfast is included which is unusual in New York. Friendly staff who were very welcoming and helpful. Less than five minutes walk to subway stations making it a great base for sight seeing and shopping. Loads of great restaurants and clubs also just minutes walk away along with The Blue Note Jazz club.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple