“Cozy hotel in great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel 17

Hotel 17
Ranked #270 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Eagan, Minnesota
“Cozy hotel in great location”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

My daughter and I stayed at the Hotel 17 for two nights this week and were very impressed. It's a unique hotel with a lot of character yet current amenities. The rooms were old-school cool with a bowl sink and a safe. The A/C worked great, the shared bathroom was always available and always clean. The staff was professional and friendly, and offered a large safe room to store luggage. The location was 5 minutes from the subway and the HopOnHopOff tour bus stop. On the same block were a couple of restaurants to enjoy a glass of wine on their patios.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Rockledge, Florida
Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

I was pleasantly surprised about everything at the hotel. I had done my research, so I knew that the bathroom was in the hall. I did have some trepidation about that, having never been in a hotel before that I shared a bathroom, as well as the expected size of the room. But since I was traveling solo this trip, I felt I would take a chance based on the location, mostly positive reviews, and the price.
The front desk was nice and accommodating. I had 2 requests. I asked to be on the second floor, so that I could walk up and not take the elevator. I also asked to be in a nonsmoking room. The man said that the 1,2, and 3rd floors were smoking, but he assured me that the cleaning people do such an amazing job that I would not know. He gave me the second floor room with no problem and he was completely right. The room smelled fine. I never knew it was a smoking room.
I had the single room and it was fine. It was small but there was plenty of legroom to walk around. I would say it was the size of an average child's room. There was a sink, towels, travel size toiletries as in other hotels. They even had a hair dryer. There was a safe, a.c., and a small tv- all compact but very clean and nice.
The bathroom was literally right outside of my room, so it was again, no problem at all. I never had to wait. It was also very clean.
The wifi worked perfectly, as you could see, since I am actually writing this review from my hotel room right now.
So, this is what I could kind of compare the experience and hotel to..... Like,if you were staying at someone's house, and you were staying in their small but nice guest room with the bathroom in the hall. It certainly isn't fancy, but if traveling alone again, I would stay here.

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank Mickeym0use
Cannock, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 16, 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights before heading down to florida. Room was clean and staff were friendly and helpful,shared w/c was really clean and looked after. Ideal location, would definitely stay again :)

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

We booked for 7 nights and got room in 8th Floor with view on top of Empire State Building. Smooth check-in. Room is clean, also shared bathroom, compliment to housekeeping! Bed comfy, wifi works perfectly, air con as well, even its bit noisy. Key card stopped working for few times, but not big deal. Location is excellent, shops, cafes, restaurants & bars nearby. I would definately recommend!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Ann Arbor
Reviewed July 15, 2014

The only thing that I could accept is the location. The room is surprisingly small. There is no private restroom. Sometimes there is no hot water in the restroom, which makes it really hard to take a bath. Moreover, the man at the front desk is cold. And the AC is making so much noise so that I couldn't fall asleep. It is a bad place and I feel regret to live in this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Dongzh
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 12, 2014

I stayed here for three nights. This place is branded as a budget hotel - budget by NYC standards that is, so still expensive just not eye-wateringly so.

It's well-located down a quiet street, but within easy walking distance to the main Manhattan museums, restaurants and shops, and the area is safe and mainly residential. The rooms are very poky and lack much natural light. If the room I had was anything to go by, they are probably better for single travellers. The decor is tired and dated, but for a hotel at the lower end of the market, I didn't see that as an issue. Room temperature was a bit of a problem, though. While I was there, they left the radiators on overnight (in April/May, this really wasn't necessary), so I had to turn on the air con (which again, given the outside temperature, wasn't necessary) just to stop myself from roasting in my sleep.

There are two shared bathrooms on each floor - there were never any queues and they were always very clean, so hats off to the housekeeping staff for being so diligent. Unfortunately I can't say the same about the people on reception - one guy in particular looked permanently bored and seemed to resent being there. However, the main reason I would give this hotel three stars is that the wifi connection was dreadful. I don't think it ever worked for more than a few minutes - even when it did, it was unspeakably slow. I ended up having to go to cafes all the time, which is an unacceptable situation. Either invest in a more powerful router or don't have the internet at all, but it shouldn't be advertised and then not provided.

Breakfast is not included, nor are there any tea or coffee-making facilities. Of course you don't have to walk very far in Manhattan to stumble across somewhere to eat, but it's an additional cost.

I would still recommend Hotel 17 if you're looking for an NYC crash pad at the cheaper end of the scale, but don't want to resort to a hostel. It is certainly significantly better than some of the other budget options (Sun Bright or New World, for instance). If reliable internet connectivity is essential, however, then this place won't be suitable for your needs.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo