“Good choice!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #261 of 479 Hotels in New York City
Prague, Czech Republic
“Good choice!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

We booked for 7 nights and got room in 8th Floor with view on top of Empire State Building. Smooth check-in. Room is clean, also shared bathroom, compliment to housekeeping! Bed comfy, wifi works perfectly, air con as well, even its bit noisy. Key card stopped working for few times, but not big deal. Location is excellent, shops, cafes, restaurants & bars nearby. I would definately recommend!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Ann Arbor
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

The only thing that I could accept is the location. The room is surprisingly small. There is no private restroom. Sometimes there is no hot water in the restroom, which makes it really hard to take a bath. Moreover, the man at the front desk is cold. And the AC is making so much noise so that I couldn't fall asleep. It is a bad place and I feel regret to live in this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars
      Cleanliness
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Dongzh
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

I stayed here for three nights. This place is branded as a budget hotel - budget by NYC standards that is, so still expensive just not eye-wateringly so.

It's well-located down a quiet street, but within easy walking distance to the main Manhattan museums, restaurants and shops, and the area is safe and mainly residential. The rooms are very poky and lack much natural light. If the room I had was anything to go by, they are probably better for single travellers. The decor is tired and dated, but for a hotel at the lower end of the market, I didn't see that as an issue. Room temperature was a bit of a problem, though. While I was there, they left the radiators on overnight (in April/May, this really wasn't necessary), so I had to turn on the air con (which again, given the outside temperature, wasn't necessary) just to stop myself from roasting in my sleep.

There are two shared bathrooms on each floor - there were never any queues and they were always very clean, so hats off to the housekeeping staff for being so diligent. Unfortunately I can't say the same about the people on reception - one guy in particular looked permanently bored and seemed to resent being there. However, the main reason I would give this hotel three stars is that the wifi connection was dreadful. I don't think it ever worked for more than a few minutes - even when it did, it was unspeakably slow. I ended up having to go to cafes all the time, which is an unacceptable situation. Either invest in a more powerful router or don't have the internet at all, but it shouldn't be advertised and then not provided.

Breakfast is not included, nor are there any tea or coffee-making facilities. Of course you don't have to walk very far in Manhattan to stumble across somewhere to eat, but it's an additional cost.

I would still recommend Hotel 17 if you're looking for an NYC crash pad at the cheaper end of the scale, but don't want to resort to a hostel. It is certainly significantly better than some of the other budget options (Sun Bright or New World, for instance). If reliable internet connectivity is essential, however, then this place won't be suitable for your needs.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
      Cleanliness
3 Thank freshlybrewedcoffee
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

I thought this hotel was a great value. It was in a great location, near a lot of restaurants and bars and close to public transportation. It is on a quiet residential street but just a few steps away from 3rd Avenue.
I had looked at plenty of pictures before going and was aware that it is basically a nice hostel. The room was small, but it had everything I needed, except of course, a bathroom. But since I knew the bathroom situation before I checked in there were no surprises. There were 2 bathrooms for my half of the floor and I never had to wait for one. The bathrooms were clean and I had no problems with other peoples leftover "germs".
I would definitely recommend this hotel for a budget visit to New York City.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
1 Thank Katrina L
Raleigh, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

The room was small...I mean...really, really small. It was just the two of us but we tripped all over each other for 3 days straight. There were two shared bathrooms for the WHOLE hall. That's awful and I had no warning about that whatsoever. I am not extremely picky, but I find sharing a bathroom with all those strangers rather disgusting. We had to buy flipflops for the shower and lysol wipes. The website just shows a bathroom but doesn't tell you that it's not in your room. Last bit of horror...the bed was hard as a rock! We woke up everyday in pain with little to no sleep. The only positive thing is that it is so convenient to Union Square and other attractions. Even with that said, I do not recommend this hotel for the NYC tourist.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple