“Cool” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel 17

You added Hotel 17 to your Saves list
Hotel 17
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   225 East 17th Street, New York City, NY 10003 (Gramercy Park)   |
Ranked #267 of 478 Hotels in New York City
New York
“Cool”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

The hotel was really cool, I mean located in a central place, near subway stations and very cheap for this location. Inside it was beautifully arranged and the staff was very polite and helpful. Loved it!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

A lovely hotel in a great location. Away from the major tourist spots and great restaurants nearby - a variety of shops and restaurants to meet anyone's needs. Near to the subway and a safe and friendly neighbourhood. The hotel is in a quiet side street and clean, quiet and tidy. We had air conditioning (a little noisy but very powerful!) a safe, cable tv and a range of toiletries and towels.

The bathroom was shared - but there were no issues with sharing and I never saw anyone using the bathroom other than us. My suitcase broke and a helpful handyman came and repaired it for me.

Reception was quick and efficient to respond to requests, without question - but more efficient than friendly! As I understand it, this is typical of New York and not a complaint as they responded quickly to my requests and check in/ check out was quick and we had no problems.

Strongly recommend the hotel - location was a big winner.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Aviles, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

This hotel has everything you look for in a hotel in Manhattan. It is really well located (near Grammercy Park and just within a 5-minute walk from the nearest subway station -14th Street and Union Square). Plus, it is affordable and clean and the staff is really helpful. The only inconvenient is that the AC makes some noise. However, if I travel to NY again I will undoubtedly stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

This place is in a really cool location just 2 blocks from union square and a number of cool restaurants and bars close by. The smell of cigarette smoke in our room on the first floor was overwhelming. We had to holdnour breath when walking down the corridor. Room was ok for the price and service was pretty good. We managed to get a fold away bed into our room to get 3 beds in for an extra $25 per night.

• Stayed May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank scain26
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We just got back from our third stay at Hotel 17. We always stay here when in NYC because of the very affordable price, great location and cool vibe of the place.
It has a very "old New York" vibe, and the hotel staff is friendly.
The hotel has a cool history, Woody Allen filmed Manhattan Murder Mystery there, and Madonna has shot photos too.
Rooms are clean, beds comfy.
Shared bathrooms, but that is not a problem. They are always clean, and never occupied.
Very close to downtown and Union Square.
All in all, great place to sleep - keep in mind that no one comes to New York City to sleep and stay in their hotel room the whole time!

We will stay here also in the future for sure!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Amman, Irbid, Jordan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Recommended for: travelers looking for just a place to spend the night at
Not recommended for: people who are looking for a nice and extra clean place to hang out at

I was in NYC for a quick visit, was looking for a place to host me just during the night as I would be busy most of the day.

I found this place online and I booked my room, I have to say, I was a bit worried, specially about the shared bathroom but here's what I experienced.

The room is fair, it can accommodate 1-2 people
View is nice
Location is excellent and close to almost everything you might need, specially that Union Square is a walking distance from it, from which you can take a subway to almost anything you need
Nice staff
ACs are good
Cleanness is fair
The shared bathroom was fairly clean most of the time, but you can't take my word or anyone's word for that matter, because it depends entirely on the people living in the floor, I happened to be around people who appreciate clean bathrooms (two bathrooms for each floor)
Prices are fair for a place in Manhattan

One of my favorite parts was the elevator, I called him Stoned Joe, you will know what I mean if you try it a couple of times :)

Will I go there again? Absolutely

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Austin, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

PROS:
(1) Hard to find this level of accommodations at this price elsewhere in Manhattan. (We paid $139/night.)
(2) Good location, close to downtown and Union Square Park.

CONS:
(1) Bathrooms are shared. They were generally clean but sometimes not. Once we told the front desk that our bathroom wasn't clean and they sent a cleaning person, but that person didn't clean the pee off the toilet seat.
(2) The beds were very uncomfortable. I'm not that picky, either; I've never felt that about a hotel's beds before. The beds were also very small.
(3) The WiFe was often so slow as to be completely useless.
(4) Our key cards stopped working almost every day, and we had to get them reprogrammed. At first I thought the battery was dead because we didn't get the red error light, we got no light at all. The front desk sent a service guy and I asked about the battery and he insisted that there was no battery, and so the problem couldn't be a dead battery. I asked how he know and he replied, "Because I know!" I later asked the front desk if the locks had batteries and they confirmed that they did.
(5) The thermostat on our AC was broken, registering about 10° cooler than the actual temperature. It was hard to get a good temp in the room, it was usually too hot or too cold. The unit was also noisy, waking us up every time it kicked in at night.
(6) Once someone was smoking on our non-smoking floor, very noticeable from inside our room. Not the hotel's fault, but made for an unpleasant stay.
(7) Rooms hold a max of three people (one 2-person bed and one single-person bed), so you can't sleep four in a room.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family