“Good Value, Nice Neighborhood”
Review of Hotel 17

Hotel 17
Ranked #286 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for five nights. Normally, I would not stay anywhere with a shared bathroom but NYC is too expensive not to. The hotel was full and still a bathroom was free whenever I needed it. The guests are mostly European travelers and friendly, once I was going to use the bathroom and a guest showed up with toiletries and a towel, I asked to go first and she was nice about it.

Yes, the rooms are small but not as small as they could be... I have stayed in London in rooms I am sure were closets at one point. I liked the decor, it is a bit mis-matched which I think adds to the character.

The staff are friendly and helpful. The neighborhood allows you to walk just about anywhere and I enjoyed that a great deal. I would stay here again and have recommended it to friends.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,357)

Reviewed October 13, 2012

The Hotel 17 is a classic Lower Manhattan dump, and it always has been. However, it used to be terrific place, for the price. I do mean FOR THE PRICE.
First off - the neighborhood is really choice. There's almost no place that could be better- Gramercy is a great location, bar none. It is residential, and there are no hotels to speak of- except two that are extremely expensive. This is why the 17 has upped the price so severely. So there is that. Of course, if the 17 is going to command these prices, keep in mind that all of Manhattan is very accessible- you don't need to pay these prices for a crap hotel in this area.

The 17 used to be such a great dump. Though not fancy, and with the bathrooms down the hall, all of this was clean, clean, clean. Now they don't bother, and the rooms are triple the price. The beds were always so uncomfortable that sleeping on the floor might be better for some- but who could argue, for the price and location?

Well, now you can. Although I have always liked the 17, I would not pay the current rate. For what they are charging, I would be fine in Brooklyn,or at other places in the NYC area.

It's still a good little place, I'm sure- if you want to pay those rates. This is an old hotel, and one that is known by artsy performance types as working for us. It doesn't any more. If you seriously want to pay $160 for the Hotel 17, you go right ahead. It isn't worth it, as a hotel- the neighborhood might be, but let me reiterate- it's Manhattan, you can get where you need to go, anyway.

If you get a great rate, worth it. It's a sort of charming place with a great vibe- the bathroom down the hall thing really works, the way they have it set up. If you're desperate for a room in the area and willing to pay the current asking price, then do it. If you know how to do better, don't.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank worldismyerster
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I stayed in a triple room (double and single bed) on the 7th floor for $160 night. The hotel was a very cool, funky old Victorian. It was completely clean. The beds were comfortable. We never had to wait for a bathroom. The floor space in the room was TIGHT. The street was very quiet - we never heard traffic noise. The Gramercy Cafe is the corner of 17th and 3rd - great place for a cheap breakfast! About five blocks from Union Square with lots of budget eating options.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 10, 2012

This hotel worked perfectly for my fiancee and I for 3 nights in September 2012. Sharing a bathroom with other guests was never a problem, and I don't recall ever even seeing another guest during our stay. The staff were courteous and helpful, and I will certainly look to Hotel 17 if ever in New York again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank USCTrojansFan23
Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

We love this hotel for price and location in a residential area, close to breakfast places and the Union Square subway stop. You are able to store bags the day of check in and check out so you can arrive early and stay late. Rooms are small but charming, clean and quiet. The staff is great, especially Jamie :) We had shared bath, which was not a problem.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I recently stayed at Hotel 17 in NY for 5 days. I had a great experience. The room was small, but manageable. The bed was comfortable and it had air con. We had a sink in the room and the shared bathrooms were always free and kept clean. The location was just the best. 2 blocks from the subway, right in the middle of Manhattan and great cafes and restaurants around the area. The only bummer was the crappy WIFI, it was pretty slow and not a very strong signal. I would definitely recommend to my friends and I would stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Just_NewZ
Reviewed September 20, 2012

In the past I've rated this hotel higher. When the price of the room was $129 or even under $100, its a real bargin and worth 5 stars at that price. But last night I stayed, and the room available was $159 plus tax, so we're tlaking $180 or so. At that price, I'm expecting mroe than peeling wallpaper, no safe in the room, crappy pillows, etc. All that said its still a relatively cheap place for NYC, clean, I feel safe there, and while its not glamorous, its also not a homeless shelter. Would I return? At $181, I'd go to $209 or somehting and stay somewhere else. At $129, I'd go back.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo