“If every hotel had staff like this you would never change where you stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Night Times Square

Night Times Square
Ranked #328 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Toronto
“If every hotel had staff like this you would never change where you stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2009

We booked a weekend for March 12 to 15th. It was our 14 year old's first time in New York. I bid on Priceline and got a good price. I called the hotel, and found though that this was only for one queen sized bed. The young lady I spoke with said that there was no problem and I could upgrade for $50 per night to get 2 doubles. This was great.

On our arrival, I found that Priceline had called the hotel, and told them I only needed one bed. The hotel reasonably enough changed it back to one queen. The unfortunate thing was that they were now sold out of rooms with two beds.

This was when I met a manager, I believe his name is Patrick (apologize if I've got it incorrect). I heard him on the telephone with Priceline, and he couldn't get an answer as to how this had happened. Obviously we were concerned.

Patrick couldn't seem to get satisfaction from Priceline, but quickly found a way to make it right. This made a tough situation quite good. We were very pleased.

Now, about the hotel. The location is about 30 paces to Broadway, Times Square, and all the shows. This is ideal for a tourist. Can't say enough.

I hadn't flown into Newark in the past, so the day before we attended, I called, and spoke to Walter, the concierge. Can't say enough good things about him. He advised us to take the Coach USA bus from the airport to the Bus Terminal, which is about a 10 minute walk to the hotel. This was $70 round trip for all three of us. Its a good saving, because a lot of the cars or shutles where tolls and tips are extra.

The hotel lobby is beautiful. It seems that several times a day they are cleaning it.

The rooms were well kept, and the beds were new I think, and very comfortable. The are small as others have written, but we weren't going to play football there anyway. The washroom was fine, and in the morning there was lots of hot water. The Bose radio, and large screen TV are nice touches.

There is a bar in the lobby, and I think my wife and I would have had a night cap there, but we were with the 14 year old on this trip, so that was not happening this time. Seemed nice enough though, and liked the music.

There is a restaurant, that seemed a little pricey to me.... $16 for coffee and pastry etc, but there is a deli next store, and a good but cheap restaurant only two doors beyond that. We like to go to different places to eat anyway.

Back to Walter, the concierge.... if you are there, take advantage of his knowledge, he'll send you to plays, and to great sights.

The whole staff treated us like we were special guests.

We will be back!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
stayasstmanager, Assistant Manager at Night Times Square, responded to this review, March 19, 2009
Good evening GaryGToronto,

Thank you very much for your feedback- I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that the staff properly welcomed you! We make every effort to make all of our guests feel special and to accomodate them to the best of our ability. It truly gives us satisfaction hearing that guests feel at home while they stay with us.

It's too bad about the night cap, perhaps next time you can make a special trip with your wife!

Again, we really appreciate the comments, and we look forward to seeing you in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
NJ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2009

We stayed at Stay on Friday, March 13th! It was quite our bad luck. We were so happy when we checked in as the location is great and the lobby was very chic. We got there at 2:30 and were told to come back in 30 minutes for a room (check in was 3, so this didn't surprise me although in most hotels in NYC we've been able to get in earlier). We came back at 4 and got room 205 dropped off our stuff and went to dinner and a concert. When we came back at 12:30am and stared walking up the stairs to our room, I knew we were in trouble. We were right above the hotel club - NO ONE warned us about this. The music was obscenely loud. I went back to the front desk and said that we had to be moved as it was way too loud -- I was told, and I still can't believe this was the response - that they would ask the club manager to turn the music down. I went back upstairs furious and my husband and I laid in bed listening to the pounding music. 45 minutes later, I left a "message" for the hotel manager. Someone promptly called back and said they could move us and "upgrade" us to a king size room. Does anyone care at 1:30am if their room is "king sized". We moved and finally fell asleep. The walls are very thin - the next morning we kept hearing what I assume was housekeeping doing something with plastic bags over an over. As we went to leave I noticed there was a note and breakfast vouchers from the hotel. We threw them out as we just wanted to get home and get some sleep. I would NOT recommend this hotel - there are way too many other ones with better service in NYC.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
stayasstmanager, Assistant Manager at Night Times Square, responded to this review, March 18, 2009
Good evening morsid,

I'm sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay, and that Friday the 13th boded poorly
for you!
I appreciate your feedback, and I am delighted to hear that you liked the location and the newly renovated lobby.
I am also glad to hear you informed of us that you were having trouble sleeping (as on the weekends the Aspen Social Lounge can get rather loud at times), and that we were able to have the volume lowered for you.
Finally, when you were still not fully satisfied with the volume, I am happy to hear we provided you with a room on a higher floor, a complimentary upgrade, and complimentary breakfast as soon as you informed us of your issue so that we could accommodate you and provide you with the best service possible.
Here at Stay we do our best to satisfy our guests by resolving any issues as soon as they are brought to our attention, and again, while I do apologize that you did not like your original room, I am happy to know we were able to provide you with one that fit your needs immediately upon request.
london
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2009

This hotel is located very close to so many good things, but you can do better elsewhere.

Upon our arrival we were told our online booking had not been processed yet, we were asked to take a seat and wait. 40 mins later the lady who asked us to sit down walked passed in street clothes (on her way out) saying it would not be long. After watching numerous people having problems with check in and check out I wished we hadn't pre paid as it was obviously a big mistake to STAY here.

A member of staff finally sensed our frustration as we wondered the lobby for the fifth time. He proceeded to explain that we were waiting because the bookings staff finish early on Saturdays (the day before) and that our online booking would take time to process as nobody had checked the booking yet from the previous day. A joke! I explained that staffing issues are not the customers problem, but the managements. This was met with apologies that seem to be so routine that they mean nothing... A hotel that does not check its online bookings because they have nobody to do it??
Any good hotel could have check us in quicker as a walk in!

My advise to anyone looking to stay here- Yes its cheap, but you will be better paying a few extra buck to stay at the W just down the road. Or splurge and go for the Bryant park.

Some advise to the Hotel- If you screw up a booking, don't make people wait an hour in your lobby when you could set them up in the bar with free drinks (standard in most good hotels). If you do need to sort stuff out before a room can be given, please please use communication, don't ignore the people who pay your bills. The location of Stay is great, but the service is so so substandard for a NY hotel that you really have little chance of survival in the market place unless you sort it out.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
stayasstmanager, Assistant Manager at Night Times Square, responded to this review, March 12, 2009
Good afternoon ozman666,

I regret to hear you did not have a pleasant experience with us, and on behalf of the entire hotel I sincerely apologize for the poor service you received.

I also want to assure you that what happened to you is not an accurate representation of how we treat guests at the front desk but rather an isolated incident for which I truly am sorry.

I hope that you will give us another chance and stay with us again. If you do, please communicate any problems you may experience with the manager on duty to assure that it is handled correctly. Thank you for your feedback and we appreciate your business.
Athens, Greece
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2009

We stayed at the Stay hotel in Times Square for 2 nights.
Is a renovated hotel 20 meters from Time Square.
We had booked a medium size room but it was really small.
Quite trendy and well equiped (flat Tv,Bose sound system).
If you consider the location of the hotel the price of the rooms makes it very appealing.
Last year (2008) we stayed at the W hotel in Time Square which had almost double price and it was quite dark.
Also at the Q hotel at Time Suare (has changed name now) had also very very small rooms and was more expensive from the Stay hote but it had a great indoor small pool were parties were taking place.
The Stay had a very nice bar and restaurant.
Although the hotel is quite good it has a serious problem with the staff which is unfriendly .

1 Thank Alexandros D
stayasstmanager, Assistant Manager at Night Times Square, responded to this review, February 27, 2009
Good evening Chocoman,

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay apart from some problems with the staff and that you found the Aspen Social Lounge enjoyable. I appreciate you taking the time to provide us with feedback. I also wanted to let you know that while we do not have a pool on the property, we do provide guests with a complimentary voucher to our off-propery gym and pool facility on request. We hope to see you again soon; if you do come back, I encourage you both to take advantage of these services and to inform us of any problems you may encouter either with the staff or with the room itself. We strive to make our guests as comfortable as possible, and we would be delighted to accomodate you in any way possible.
Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2009

If you are looking for great location and just some where to sleep for a quick stay, Stay is fine. If you expect more basics, say a hot shower or toiletries, good luck. I would not recommend Stay for any more than a couple of nights if you had to stay here. We stayed 5 and that was way too many for a place you couldn't be comfortable in.

The lobby decor is awesome and the room is finished nicely. So, you really WANT to like this place. Check-in went smoothly and I can't comment on the lobby staff other than that because we did not have any other contact with them.

Understanding this is Manhattan and space is limited, the room was TINY. There was probably 8 inches from the end of the bed to the wall so you were better off climbing over the bed to get to the other side. 2 suitcases occupied half of all the available floor space. My husband and I are 5'10" and 5'2" and small framed and it was too tight for us to spend any time relaxing in the room. One person might fight it okay. If everything else is good, you could overlook the tight quarters but that was far from the case.

If you are not an early riser or early to bed, be warned you will not have hot, or even warm water available to you. We noticed this the first night and it continued to prove itself true the entire trip. This is a REAL problem when you are traveling during the winter and just want a warm shower at the end of the day to help you thaw. Also, sleeping by the window was very uncomfortable because the window is probably original to the building. The silk curtains do nothing to stop the cold air from creating a freezing draft all night.

Cleanliness: old does not turn me off but a few other things made me not want to think about what they did or did not do at the hotel. First of all, everything I picked up from the floor (bags, socks...) had long blonde hair sticking to it. Neither of us have long or blonde hair. The slate tiles in the bathroom had a good deal of white buildup but the while subway tiles and grout looked fine. But the basics of wiping the sink or mirror while you stayed were not attended to.

Toiletries: Good thing I pack my own just in case. 1st day: We had shampoo, conditioner and body wash the first night. No bar soap to wash your hands with or lotion; but they did have 2 chocolates on the bed. 2nd day: they did not leave a new shampoo, conditioner or body wash but we did get a bar soap. No chocolates, no lotion. They took our used wash cloths and did not leave any new ones. 3rd day: A lotion finally and chocolates again but nothing else even though the toiletries were all used up. 4th day: New shampoo, conditioner and body wash finally. No lotion, no chocolates. 5th day: A bag of bar soaps left on the bed. Overall, no rhyme or reason.

A few other notes: there was no iPod dock. The safe is the small standard kind they have everywhere-big enough for a wallet or two but definitely not your laptop. The internet was supposed to be included in the package I bought online but that was not honored. They wanted an additional $19.95/day. The lighting in the whole place is very dim-it sets a great mood but makes getting ready in the morning (putting on makeup) impossible.

It was not a horrible experience. I just wouldn't recommend it unless you got it for cheap- $125ish and only that much because of its location. We paid with taxes and such almost $200/night- Definitely not worth that.

1 Thank nkdub
Good evening neotizzy,

I'm sorry to hear you did not have a pleasant experience here at Stay, and I want to thank you for your feedback.

I'm glad you were able to check-in smoothly, and that you found the front desk staff accomodating. I also hope that you return soon.

If you do, please keep the front desk staff informed of any problems you may be having. There is someone at the front desk at all times, and if you experience problems such as a lack of hot water or toiletries, the front desk can and will gladly rectify the problem once we are informed of it by contacting the appropriate department.
We also offer multiple different room sizes, and we would be more than happy to provide you with a room that would best accomodate your needs.

Furthermore, we actually only charge $9.95 per 24 hours unless you make a reservation which includes internet in the price, in which case it is complimentary. We also provide complimentary internet in the business center of the lobby, accessible 24/7 with your room key. If your bill does not accurately reflect the internet charge, I encourage you to give us a call at any time so that we may correct it for you. Again, thank you for your input and please keep us informed in the future of any issues you have during your stay so that we can make you as comfortable as possible.
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2009

I have to be honest, when I placed my bid for a hotel in NYC on priceline.com, I was a little worried when "Stay" emerged as the hotel that was selected for my weekend of lisure and shopping. I had not heard of this boutique establishment prior to this. Much to my surprise, I was very happy with the accomodations. Service was commendable, location perfect (close proximity to Times Square) and the room spotless. I would highly recommend 'Stay' as a wonderful place to stay!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Good evening mlk14,

I am very happy to hear you had such a wonderful time with us. We strive to provide the best service possible, and it makes us smile to hear we succeeded. We hope to see you again soon!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2009

We stayed here for 3 nights. The location is great and the service was good. The rooms on the other hand, were tiny. The amenities were nice and the beds were comfortable, but the space was very, very small. The overall value was good though.

Good evening Neuby,

I'm so glad to hear you found your stay enjoyable, and I appreciate you taking the time to provide us with feedback. We hope to see you again soon in the future!
If you decide to stay with us again, please keep in mind that we offer multiple room sizes, and we would be more than happy to accomodate you by providing a room that best fits your needs!