“Nice hotel - sleep would have been nice”
Review of Night Times Square

Night Times Square
Ranked #348 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed November 8, 2013

The staff in the hotel are incerdibly helpful and welcoming. The reception area is well decorated with tropical fish tanks and attractive seating areas. Wifi is free in the reception/lounge area. If this is your first visit to New York, I would throughly recommend that you speak to the Conciege. I had the pleasure of dealing with Walter who was incredibly enthuiastic and knowledegable about New York issuing me with a map of the island, highlighted places to see and how to get there - amazing service. The hotel is well located on 47th street with the Times Square shops, Broadway theatres minutes away in one direction, Central Park 10ish minutes in another, Rockerfeller centre 5 minutes away and 15 minutes walk to Macy's. A subway station is also at the end of the street for easy travel around too.

The two lifts are a little small but hey, its a lift. Once I arrived in my room I was pleased to see it was a decent size with a nice bathroom and shower even a Night hotel chocolate bar greeted me on arrival! The hairdryer is located on the back of the bathroom door incase anyone is looking for it! There is a safe in the room, a well sized flat screen tv with a decent selection of tv channels to watch and there is a Bose system you can listen to the radio or plug in your mp3 device. A nice. well sized comfy bed greeting my weary bones each night but this is where the problems begin!

I was concerned about staying here having read the reviews about the noise and BOY was this an issue! There were five of us staying in different rooms, different floors and different sides of the hotel and not one of us slept well. We did try and get a different hotel but couldn't get a decent price. I was on the 9th floor, room 906 and was woken EVERY morning promptly by the rubbish collectors at 2.15 a.m. Between them, honking horns, loud emergency sirens and occassionally shouting I have not slept much in the six nights i've stayed there! You can hear the building air conditioning using chugging away outside too.

I don't know if thicker glass would help dampen the noise down or other sound proofing methods are required.

Other issues I had with this lovely hotel are that the wardrobe space is very small so if you have a lot of luggage or need to hang things you need to be careful. The wifi signal is good in the rooms but you need to pay $9.95 per 24 hours and according to Guest Services - per device meaning I had to choose between my iphone or my laptop. Given the amount of time my colleagues and I were staying, I would have thought there would be a lower cost business rate? I was left a voicemail by Anna, one of the hotel managers and was charged a dollar to retrieve this message!

To sum up: Amazing staff. An excellent central location. Comfy room. Free chocolate. No sleep.

I am planning to come back to NYC next year for a holiday rather than a business trip and despite no sleep, would still strongly consider staying here again.

Room Tip: I wonder if the rooms rooms at the rear of the property are quieter?
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Crutches
Gautam K, Manager at Night Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Hello Crutches : We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback from your recent stay with us. We value your descriptive and constructive feedback and have taken your comments into great consideration. We look forward to the opportunity to have you stay with us again in the near future.
Gautam

Write a ReviewReviews (4,787)

Reviewed November 7, 2013

We booked this hotel through an agent and we had doubts after reading reviews on here.However, once we arrived we were made very welcome by staff and were pleasantly surprised by the hotel! Yes the lift is small but it was never a long wait. The rooms are small when compared to uk hotels but it is central New York and is good value for money. Our room had nice furniture,trendy artwork and most importantly it was clean. The free wifi in the lobby is a great bonus. Location is perfect,literally a 2 minute walk to Times Square. We stayed on the 5th floor and had no issues with noise on the week nights or weekend that we stayed in the hotel. We ate in aspen social club for an evening meal and breakfast,both meals were lovely and good value for money. The deli next door is also worth a visit, they do great pancakes and its a great atmosphere. This was our first trip to New York and we would definitely stay in the hotel again,please don't be put off by negative reviews on here as our experience was nothing but positive. I almost changed hotels after reading some reviews before we arrived but I'm glad we stayed here. The hotel also stored our luggage for several hours on our departure day and arranged a hotel car to take us to the airport for a set price of 70 dollars. Great experience!!

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank RosieV1

Hello RosieV1 : Thank you for taking the time to provide us with such wonderful details of your experience. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

It was my first time staying in a hotel in times square and this was great. The people cared and wanted
to make sure you were ok. It was a pleasure to have Jazilyn fernandez be the one to help me in
what ever i needed. She was truley a great help. everything else was great.!!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for the great review, yvonne c! Jazilyn will be extremely excited to learn of your feedback in recognition to her exemplary services rendered. We look forward to have you stay with us again in the near future.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Our location was a half block from Times Square and TKTS - perfect. The hotel is trendy and our room by New York standards was not terribly small. Flat screen tv, new modern furniture, nice shower and bathroom. Could have used a light over the sink. Stored our luggage with no problem on the last day and accomodated an early check in on our arrival.

Room Tip: rooms on the street have a lot more noise but a better view
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank karen g
Gautam K, Manager at Night Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Thank you for the wonderful review, karen g! We are delighted to hear of your experience and have taken your suggestion into great consideration. We look forward to your return.
Cheers!

Reviewed November 5, 2013

I booked this hotel because the pictures looked nice. It appears like some kind of trendy boutique hotel. Like others who have been disappointed. I am one of them. My boyfriend and I had to endure this place for 5 days. It started with a very tiny room on the 3rd floor with a loud air-condition inside and outside our window. I turned the air-conditioner off but the fan kept blowing air with noise. We called front desk which sent the maintenance man. His solution was to close the vent. The air was still making noise of course so he said he had to ‘reset’ the main panel and he left. What he actually did was completely cut off the ventilation in our room. The room is tiny and got very hot so quickly. So, we asked to change rooms. We were told the only room available was on the 2nd floor. It was a room in the middle of the building so it was quiet and the air-conditioner was working fine. We took it. It was little bit bigger than our first room which is the size of a closet. On our third night (Friday), we were blasted by the loud music coming from the club/bar on the first floor. Our room was literally vibrating. Not even ear plugs can tune out the noise. We asked the front desk again to move us. We were given 2 room options: the same tiny room on the third floor where we can still hear the club noise or a roomier room on the 5th floor where we can hear the street noise – party goers yelling, laughing, police sirens, cars honking their horns, you name it! We decided to take the 5th floor room. Somehow our earplugs helped tune the noise out.

Aside from the noise level, poorly insulation, small rooms, there seems to always be problems with the rooms. The sheets are of poor standard. The showers have low water pressure and the drainage is not emptying properly so I was showering in a puddle of water. The door was missing its lock. The elevator is very slow and very tiny as well. We even got locked out of our room because our door lost its battery life and would not read our card when we swipe it.

The staff was pleasant to us. They tried to help us switch rooms each time we complain. The night manager was very apologetic when we were locked out of our room and offered us drinks at the bar. The one person that really infuriated my boyfriend and I is this tall bell boy/door man on Sunday morning of 11/3. He offered and convinced us to use the hotel’s car because it will be cheaper than taking a cab and they take credit card. He also told us we won’t pay more than $85. Then he showed up with a yellow cab. We were confused. When we asked him what happened to the hotel car, he didn’t offer any explanation. When we asked how much we should pay the cab, he told us to discuss it with the driver. Wow!!! When we got to the airport, the driver told us he doesn’t take credit card. We didn’t have enough cash so my boyfriend had to run around the airport to find an ATM machine while I stay in the cab with the driver parked outside the terminal. This hotel staff is so incompetent and a liar!
This hotel is overpriced for what it’s worth. Just because it’s steps away from Times Square. It’s absolutely horrible. I would never, ever stay at this hotel ever again even if they pay me.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello ToniLuvsScuba: Thank for taking the time to provide us with details of your recent stay with us. I am extremely disappointed to hear of your experience and cannot apologize enough for the same. All of the yellow cabs in NYC are mandated by law to accept credit cards as well, and I’m troubled to hear that you were asked to pay in cash instead. I know that sincere words of apology cannot make up for your disappointing visit. However, I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future. Please contact me directly at gkhanna@nighthoteltsq.com so I can personally make the arrangements.
Best Wishes,

Reviewed November 3, 2013

Overpriced, but it's New York and right in Times Square. Brilliant location; everything else was average. Tiny room (place your luggage on the floor and you can hardly walk), small shower, windows that look right into the next room, and expensive wifi. Bed was nice though. Elevator was absurdly slow and can fit about 2 - 3 people with luggages. The lobby was nice enough and there's free public wifi, so that's an upside. It's probably one of the cheaper hotels in Times Square, but I say go for a nicer hotel at the same price outside of the tourist areas, and take the Subway instead.

Room Tip: Ask for the corner rooms - they're slightly larger.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Fannison L
Gautam K, Manager at Night Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2013

Hello Fannison L : Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. We value your descriptive and constructive feedback. It is our constant endeavor to provide you with a delightful experience and I’m troubled to hear that we didn’t live up to your expectations on this occasion. We’d love for you to experience one of our larger rooms on your next visit to NYC. Please contact me directly at gkhanna@nighthoteltsq.com, so I can personally make the arrangements and ensure you have a memorable stay.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

The only benefit this hotel offers is the location, being right off Times Square, everything else is shockingly poor. They obviously paid a lot more attention to the presentation of the lobby than anything else, as, once you get past it, you are greeted with s tiny and incredibly slow elevator which drags you up to dark corridors and tiny, dark rooms. The bed was soggy and uncomfortable, the sheets stained, the floor grimy and crunchy under foot. The bathroom smelled and the toilet leaked, combined with the damp and lack of ventilation. Perhaps the worst thing was the incredibly noisy air-conditioning right above the bed which contributed to some of the worst sleep I've had in years. Turning it off was not an option because the tiny room would get very hot very quickly. The room door was loose in the frame so it rattled with the draft. And the list goes on.

The staff were incompetent and, in the case of the front desk manager, downright rude. Absolutely unacceptable from a hotel which charges so much and sells itself as a prestigious destination.

I've stayed in half a dozen Times Square hotels over the last 5-6 years, and some are better than others, but this one falls to the very bottom by some margin. Horrible.

Room Tip: Just don't do it.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank AGILLUS

Hello AGILLUS: We appreciate you taking the time to further review your stay with us. Once again, we sincerely apologize for your less than favorable experience, and look forward to the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.
Best Wishes,