“Barely 3 stars”

Ranked #328 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Hamilton, NJ
“Barely 3 stars”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

The only reason we gave the hotel 3 stars and not 2, is to give Night Times Square a chance to improve their operations in the future.
Location: most of Manhattan Midtown hotels are by default within walking distance to every major point of interest. Night Times Square is, however, situated right in the midst of the noisiest and the most crowded part of Times Square, thus the noise level is an outright disadvantage.
Staff: while not encountering any major or minor problems, we felt a sheer lack of a personalized or customer-friendly approach; we have never been asked 'How can we help you to make your stay perfect.'
The elevators problem pointed out by other TripAdvisor reviewers is a serious one. First of all, there are 2 elevators, but only one is accessible via main lobby, while the other one gets you in the small hallway by the Aspen Social Club. Nowhere in the lobby we could find any signs informing the guests about the existence of a second elevator or pointing arrows towards it. Coupled with the fact that the elevators are extremely small and slow, the problem becomes a real hindrance; the waiting time is not appropriate for a decent NYC hotel.
The room size was actually quite decent. The small hallway inside the room, though not lit bright enough, adds to the overall perception of a spaciness (for a Manhattan hotel that is).
The AC generated grinding noise was arguably the worst we ever experienced in any decent hotel. Without nitpicking, we have to say it was a real bother.
Night TS was the only hotel that never provided any hotel booklet or even a list containing hotel numbers, breakfast hours, room service, etc. A few magazines was the only printed material our room contained. Unbelievable.
The flat screen TV was of a good size; the quality of broadcast was terrible. This, however, was a problem with most of the NYC hotels we ever stayed in.
Parking: next door to Aspen Social Club, affordable with a hotel's stamp. No valet service, however.
Breakfast: Aspen Social Club is not a bad choice, the prices are quite affordable; the quality and the choices are all right.
Bathroom: small but clean. The absence of the lighting above the sink makes the shaving/grooming quite challenging.
Design: unlike its parent hotel Night on 45th St., the 'boutique hotel' aspect lacks completely. The lobby features a few interesting touches here and there but the rooms look averagely dull if not drab. Apparently after The Stay became Night Times Square, no serious efforts were made to turn the place into something more unique, such as Night on 45th. Even the minibar in the room still features the old logo and lettering of the hotel's predecessor, The Stay.
Value: even with a special promotion via LivingSocial, and considering all the problems and flaws, the value wasn't enough to make our stay a great experience.
In its present shape and form, we can not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing inside of the property. The street facing rooms might get quite noisy.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RGSOUNDF
Gautam K, Manager at Night Times Square, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Hello RGSOUNDF: . Thank you for taking the time to provide us with the details of your experience and sharing your photos. I value your descriptive and constructive feedback. Reviews on our service have been overwhelmingly positive and I am troubled to hear that your experience was not a good one. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you encountered. In an effort to provide you with an experience that is memorable for the right reasons, I would like to invite you back. Please contact me directly at gkhanna@nighthoteltsq.com, so that I can personally assist with your arrangements.
Best Regards,
Gautam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Very average hotel. Good Times Square location. Reception is friendly. Door man was nice. Rooms are ok depending on your floor and location. Nice bar in lobby. No gym or work out facility. They are in the process of improving and adding upgrades, so maybe they will add in a work out facility. Bathrooms are small but clean. Loud area at night. Construction currently happening on the street.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Gautam K, Manager at Night Times Square, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Hello DCTraveler843 : Thank you for taking the time to write your review – we do appreciate all feedback here, good or bad, as we strive to provide the best value for our guests. We do not have a gymnasium on premises ,but we are affiliated with the New York Sports Club which is at a few steps from the hotel & allows complimentary admission to our guests . We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future. Please feel free to contact me at gkhanna@nighthoteltsq.com if you would like assistance with arranging a return stay.
Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

Location is excellent, but its not a 4 star hotel by any means. decor is good but elevator and hallways are very narrow.Stayed at the double room next to the Main Street.construction going on the whole night terrible! Checked with front desk. Said no more rooms.ac has had some problem it made a lot of noise. Parking is 35$ for 24 hours and they validate it.the room was nice size but bathroom was old and outdated.they should work on their bathrooms. No microwave nor fridge or coffee, no wifi.
Breakfast is 14$, many restaurants nearby. Time square is 30 steps I guess. Staff was okay not very cooperative.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Timmalik
Hello Timmalik: Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I am disappointed to hear of your experience. Reviews on our service have been overwhelmingly positive and I am troubled to hear that your experience was not a good one. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you and re-assure you of our best intention at all times. I can be reached at gkhanna@nighthoteltsq.com
Easton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I agree with other posters - the rooms are small but, when you are in the city that never sleeps, you aren't in the room much any way. Bed was a king and very comfortable. A stones throw from Times Square. Just up the street is a Starbucks and across the street a good deli. What amazed me was that despite being close to Times Square and all it's noise and activity the room was very quiet. I do not remember once hearing any car horns! One night the restaurant/bar in the lobby had a very loud business function. I did not know it was going on until I got down to the lobby. Very prompt room service. There are no ice machines but room service can bring it up. The elevator is small. Fits, perhaps, four people and maybe a suitcase but not much more. The room had a fully equip mini-refrigerator but you had better check out the prices before you use any of the items in the fridge.

Room Tip: Top floor toward the rear of the building.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello divearnd: Thank you for the great feedback. We are thrilled that you have a positive experience and look forward to your return. I can be reached at gkhanna@nighthoteltsq.com for assistance in arranging a return stay.
Bedford Heights, Ohio
Reviewed July 7, 2013

This was my first time to NYC. My boyfriend and I stayed at Night for 3 nights. The rooms are small but not unbearably small. All of the staff were friendly and very helpful. I thought the hotel was beautiful. The decor is very pretty and trendy. It is the perfect location extremely close to Times Square! There are a couple of cons like very slow elevators and there is no microwave in your room. We went to dinner and lunch while we stayed there and if we had leftovers there was no way to heat the food up. Also on our last day there it seemed like they cut the air off in our room. I don 't know if it was intentional or not. I would recommend this hotel for people to stay in.

Room Tip: Try to ask for a room on a lower level, because the elevators are extremely slow
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tiffany F
Gautam K, Manager at Night Times Square, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Hello Tiffany F : Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay with us. We are glad that you enjoyed our contemporary décor and found our staff to be helpful. We have duly noted your suggestion, however, we do have a provision to heat food -upon calling room service or the front desk. I apologize for the air cut off that may have been due to the thermostat settings as there have not been any known AC issues at our property. Should we have the pleasure to welcome you or your friends/ family in the near future, then please do not hesitate to contact me directly at gkhanna@nighthoteltsq.com so I can personally make the arrangements.
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Second year in NYC with my family, second year in this hotel. What to say, location is simply perfect: you exit the door of the hotel, you walk down the 47th street for not more than 50m and you are in Times Square, in the middle of the pulsing hearth of NYC. Service is astonishing as well: I've contacted the guys from Italy and they did everything imaginable to make my stay comfortable (they even remembered my preferences in terms of room location from my past visit a year before).
I definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Alessio_Biasutto
Gautam K, Manager at Night Times Square, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Hello Alessio_Biasutto : Thank you for the superb review. It’s always a true pleasure to have you as our esteemed guest. We look forward to your return.
Please do not hesitate to contact me directly so I can personally facilitate your reservation again.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed July 4, 2013

If you are looking to be in the middle of this action of Times Square, this is your Hotel. The location is a block off the center of the square. Great hotel, with trendy modern decor. The rooms are standard for NYC, small, but has everything you need.
Beds were comfy and had a few good nights rest there. The staff was so friendly and helpful at checking us in and out and arranging cabs for us.
Great value and overall stay in NYC!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Gautam K, Manager at Night Times Square, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Hello BH : Thank you for the great review. We are thrilled you enjoyed your experience and look forward to your return. Please reach out to me directly at gkhanna@nighthoteltsq.com so I can personally make the arrangements.