“Adequate”
Review of Night Times Square

Night Times Square
Ranked #334 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Many reviews point out that this hotel's strongest plus is it's location. Personally I would advise AGAINST tourists staying near Times Square. Because of the work trips I do, it is convenient for me.

This property is typical of many in Midtown, that began in the 80s renovating older buildings into "boutique" hotels. The biggest thing to watch for here is room size. The closest comparison is that they are akin to standard staterooms on Cruise-ships.

STAY, like many of its peers, has tiny tiny rooms by American standards. And there is also a lot of differences from room to room, as they attempted to upgrade them around the existing architecture. I had originally booked a queen room, but when I got there, the only one they had was just above the lobby. So I opted for a Standard on a higher floor. I think from the pictures that the Queens have more square-footage than the Standards.

The room I was in at Stay last week, had no closet. It had a hinged U-bar on the wall above the nightstand for hanging things. I have seen this before in these micro-rooms. I was only in for a one-nighter, so that didn't cause trouble. But also there was no place to store luggage, so stayed mostly packed.

Frequently the micro-hotels have only slightly serviceable bathrooms. Stay's was OK, bigger than some I have seen; perfectly acceptable. Oddball issue in the shower though. Originally these bathrooms had been renovated with a 2-foot wide panel of shower stall glass, but I guess they had discovered that too much water got out, so they also put in a shower rod and curtain, inside of the glass panel. They way it was installed in my particular bathroom, it only allowed for 12-16 inches wide of space inside the shower. And one of my personal pet peeves is having the shower curtain touching me while showering.

Excellent BOSE radio on the nightstand: Thanks! I hate it that so many "chic" hotels today only have iPod docking stations. Not an Apple owner here, and I like to have good ole-fashioned radio in the room.

Bed seemed superior quality. Easy to get-to electrical at the nightstand.

This hotel seems to be very popular with International Travelers. I enjoyed seeing and hearing Italian, Spanish, Brazilian, Latin Americans; on almost every trip through the Lobby.

Restaurant-Bar off the Lobby is a popular party location, so you might enjoy asking for a higher room.

2 very small elevators, so if you are going down during check-out time, expect a wait.

If you feel compelled to stay close to times-square, this hotel is excellent value. Quality operation. Clean rooms.

Room Tip: Opt for a Queen Room if you want a little more space; Ask for rooms 4th floor and above; Check showe...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Night Times Square

Reviewed February 24, 2013

A late review, we stopped at the Stay Hotel between 20th Sept -27th Sept 2012 for our trip to NYC and had a lovely time there. The location is as others have said, a 30 second walk from Times Square. You really can't be any closer to the bright lights. Our room was on one of the upper floors, well equipped with TV, iPod docking station, iron, free safe, TV, radio and wifi. It was clean, well furnished and quite spacious. This was probably because we were in one of the rooms on the buildings corners which I think do have more space than some of the other rooms other reviewers have written about. Housekeeping came to the room daily, changing towels and carrying general housekeeping All hotel staff from porters, room service, housekeeping and reception were helpful and quick to assist with all our enquiries and needs. There is a bar and restaurant on the ground floor, we didn't eat there but had a drink one evening before we went out around Times Square and found it to be very pleasant. The bar does get quite busy at the weekend and is open late but we had absolutely no problem with any noise or rowdiness etc. All in all, a fantastic hotel which was very reasonably priced for its location. If we return to NY, I would definitely consider stopping at the Stay Hotel again.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We spent two nights at Stay in their Deluxe Queen Room. There are several items we can highlight as praiseworthy. The highest praise we can provide is that the location is phenomenal. Step out the door and walk less than 50 yards to Time Square. The location can't be beat. The room was clean upon our arrival. And finally, $150 per night was a great value for that location in NYC.

However, buyer beware. Our Deluxe Queen Room measured 12" X 11" (I literally measured the room). A queen bed, two end tables, a writing desk, and small fridge were packed into this space. The room was smaller than any cruise ship stateroom we've every stayed in. The bathroom was extremely small with poor lighting and no ventilation fan. My wife and I each had a small bag and literally had to stack them on the writing desk to allow room on the floor to walk.

To make matters worse, we received no maid service during the time of our stay. No clean towels, no bed being made... nothing! When we booked our stay it was to include FREE wifi in the room (a savings of $15 per day). We asked the gentleman at the front desk how to receive the FREE wifi. He said we need to complete the online form and that all charges would be deducted when we checked out. I did as instructed and requested 2 days of wifi for $30. The first night the hotel wifi was down. The second night wifi worked perfectly. Upon check out, the gal at the front desk refused to credit us the wifi charges. I had to return to the 4th floor, dig through the trash, locate my booking receipt and prove that wifi was included in the cost of the room (please note... wifi was not even working one of the nights). I was appalled by the service we received.

We would say that Stay. Hotel is a great name for this establishment. You pay to "Stay" and that's about all you get for your money.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Larry C
Reviewed February 22, 2013

The location is fantastic, 47th street, 20 yards from Times Square. The lobby is fantastic with a beautiful and rather large marine aquarium. The staff are also very friendly which was great, provided us with a really good city Map which was the most used thing of our week in NYC.

My only negatives are as follows, we requested a non smoking room, but the whole floor had various whiffs of smoke, and the room was quite musky. There was only one lift in used for four of our five nights here, which is frustrating when you are waiting quite a while with a bunch of other people to squeeze in a small lift. This rarely caused us an issue as we are out about 0830 and didn't come back till about 2200 or later.

Finally my main problem was with the AC system in the room. The system was extremely loud (probably a bearing failure or fan imbalance, easy to fix). I know AC units can create noise, but this was unbearable for us to sleep comfortably, so we would turn it off....only to wake with the temperature rising from 60 degrees F to 75 degrees F by about 2am, waking us, making us feel feint, and having to put the loud AC unit on to get the room back to a manageable, bearable temperature for good sleeping conditions. This unit could be heard from the hall way. I heard no other rooms with a similar issue, so maybe an isolated issue,

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Matthew419
Reviewed February 19, 2013

returned from ny about a week ago where we spent 4 nights at Stay, we had a medium queen room which was a quite small but had enough space for a very comfy bed, luggage and shopping bags we were on the 7th floor no problems.with noise from this floor however we had a draft from the window which meant we had to keep curtains closed.
read a few problems about the lifts about being slow, yeah they were slow compared to others in the city but not a major problem.

Location is great 2 min walk and from times square couldnt ask for more.

wernt really in hotel that much, but the staff we came across were very friendly and helpful.

would consider staying again if we visit ny again and would reccommend this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 18, 2013

The location cannot be faulted. 100 metres from times square. The rooms are clean and stylish, the communal areas are also very stylish, staff are very friendly and helpful. I would defiantly stay here again and recommend to others too. I am looking forward to visiting New York again and would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank tw-SouthWales
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Stay. is a great hotel to stay at while at NYC. The main thing that I was looking for in a hotel is a bed to sleep at, cleanliness, and a tv for some downtime at the hotel room. This hotel had what I was looking for and was several minutes walk to Times Square or the Rockefeller Center or a subway station if you needed to go anywhere further. I was hardly going to be in the hotel anyway so that small room didn't bother me. It would've been nice if it was bigger --but then again I was going to be out and about in NYC so I didn't see the need to book somewhere else. Housekeeping does come everyday to clean your room etc... You will not be given a coffee maker --this is usually standard in most hotels but Stay. doesn't give you one. If you want ice, you will need to request it from the club or restaurant downstairs. The closet is small. The elevators are slow and small but there's 2 of them so I guess that makes up for it a little bit. The elevators will probably fit 2 people with luggage and 4 people without luggage --yeah, it's that small. The staff is friendly and helpful. I got on the red-eye from LAX to JFK and got to Stay by 6am. Since they had a room available, I was able to check in early. Bathroom and the bed was clean. I stayed up in the 6th floor so it was quiet and I was able to get a good night's sleep. Overall, I would stay in the hotel again. Now, if you're travelling with a significant other or a group of friends or family, the 2-bed room in the hotel might be a better choice so that you can have more room (I can't really speak too much about it but they are available). Staff is nice and helpful. You would have to pay for Wifi if you need the internet in your room. I stayed in room 611. What was in my room: a bed, tv, 2 night stands, 4 pillows, a mini bar, a table, chair, a radio, 2 luggage stands, disposable individually wrapped cups, telephone, a small pad of paper, a black Papermate pen, and a small closet. The bathroom had standard amenities which included towels, conditioner, soap, shower gel, shampoo, hair dryer, and of course toilet paper. I didn't get a view from my hotel room. 3 for the room because it is small --but I would still recommend it. 4 for service because when I initially got there, no one was as the front desk. 4 for cleanliness, the tv remote needed to be cleaned up a little <-- it matters to me because this is one of the items that many people do use --for sanitary purposes, it's just good sense to make sure that it's clean. I stayed there in February 2013 for 3 nights.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo